Bushrod gave up 2nd-most QB hurries of any OT in 2012

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see any bad blood yet. Whether people have great points or bad ones, people have the right to disagree in this country and it makes for a more interesting board. Relax

Who needs to relax? This thread is a perfect example of how shitty posters can ruin a decent topic. This shit happens all the time around here.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The OP is right. The Bears are screwed. Bushrod is barely an upgrade over Webb. The Bears made a huge mistake taking a Pro-Bowler over a failed "project". I mean who makes that type of decision? What could they have been thinking? Wow....

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Wow this is breathtaking.

There's been a lot created in these last few threads.

1) ProFootballFocus graded Webb's games fairly, but they messed up in how they graded Jermon Bushrod's games.

2) Cutler's mobility allowed him to escape pressures (PFF already counts the QB pressures whether a QB escapes them has nothing to do with it being counted as a pressure)

3) Bushrod was out on an island all by himself most of the time and Webb received help all the time. Even though most of the help the Bears used last year was dedicated to the right tackle spot because Carimi, and Scott were both far more horrible than Webb and Bushrod.

Bushrod is notorious for giving up a lot of QB hits and QB pressures even when he has a "good year"

In 2011 Bushrod gave up 11 QB hits and 42 QB pressures

In 2010 Bushrod gave up nine QB hits and 48 QB pressures

In 2009 Bushrod gave up nine sacks, nine QB hits and 32 QB pressures.

So not only does he give up a high number of QB hits he gives up a high number of QB pressures on top of it.

Webb by comparison

In 2011 Webb gave up 12 sacks, 6 QB hits and 30 pressures

In 2010 at RT and his rookie year Webb gave up 12 sacks, 1 QB hit and 48 pressures.

Now if I wanted to do defend Webb over Bushrod during Webb's first two seasons I could argue that Webb played in Mike Martz's seven step drop outdated offense which constantly put the offensive line is a losing position.

I could also point out that last year the Bears averaged more yards per attempt through the air than every team but the 49ers. (Correction this includes the playoffs, if you adjust the percentage to measure just the regular season the Bears were FIRST in the NFL in the percentage of passes they threw down the field) This stat means that Cutler was forced to hold onto the football longer and the offensive line to hold onto their blocks longer because on average the Bears receiver were running deeper longer routes than all of the teams in the NFL but one.

The Bears had a higher percentage of their pass attempts that were 15 yards or greater in 2012.

More pressure on your QB and more pressure on your offensive line as a result.

Drew Brees and the Saints on the other hand were on the complete opposite end of the spectrum in the percentage of their passes that were for 15 yards or greater. The Saints offense was 34th in the NFL in the number of passes they attempted that were 15 yards or greater.

So the Saints got the ball out quicker on average, but Bushrod gave up more pressures and more hits on average than Webb did.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I forget... whats the point again? The bears should have just stuck with Webb at LT? Is that what you're saying?

Are you saying the bears did not actually upgrade the OL with the addition of Bushrod?

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Oh you've done so much criticizing of Emery have you? So tell me then, was it a smart move to pay a bunch of money to a guy that the majority of people have said is barely a better upgrade than J'Marcus Webb?

Because your basic answer throughout this entire thread has been Yes it is a smart move because Phil Emery is a great GM and I trust Phil Emery and Aaron Kromer over what the statistics say.

Hell they're even statistics that Phil Emery himself cited, when he cited ProFootballFocus.

When your GM cites ProFootballFocus and then fans go out and research what ProFootballFocus said and then repeat what ProFootball Focus said about Webb and Bushrod and THEN YOU criticize it....YOU LOOK LIKE THE DUMB ASS.

Hey guys, it's the dude who gets annihilated in every thread calling people dumb again.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agree about the blocking scheme. Not to be lost in the Trestman hire is the fact he turned a horrible OL into one that allowed the fewest sacks multiple yrs when he was hired as a HC. Keeping his QB healthy is paramount. This is a 180 degree shift from the tackling dummy value Martz allotted the QB. Besides being vertical, the assurance that he will not be nearly decapitated almost weekly should help slow things down for JC and allow him to clean up his footwork and mental errors. As for Webb playing RT, I am not sold on it, he failed miserably the 1st time, though it was his rookie yr. I wouldn't say it's a lot easier than LT, it just requires less rare talents. Big long armed men that are light on their feet are a rare thing. RT requires less refined pass blocking talent, but more road grader ability and mentality. Webb is more Pillsbury dough boy than fire eater, so I'm not sure he fits the bill. Physically, I think he is an LT, it's a major lack of mental ability and determination that I think he lacks.
We'll see. Too much emphasis on his mope a dope persona than what he does on the field. If you watched Bushrod last year, he looked no more engaged than Webb. Happy you got to call Webb stupid again? It's just football. LOL

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hey guys, it's the dude who gets annihilated in every thread calling people dumb again.

Even when he's got a point, he takes it to a ridiculous extreme. Just not a deep thinker. He's said what I did at the signing but the difference is that I liked the signing. It doesn't matter if Bushrod is only a little better than Webb or even equal. WTF would he have wanted us to do? One viable starting T on the roster will kill any O.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I forget... whats the point again? The bears should have just stuck with Webb at LT? Is that what you're saying?

Are you saying the bears did not actually upgrade the OL with the addition of Bushrod?

The point is to forewarn people who think Bushrod is this tremendous pass protection upgrade over Webb. The Bears spent a lot of money on a player who may or may not be a major upgrade. It's a move that can legitimately be questioned as Bushrod has a lot to prove.

Bushrod is not the savior that a lot of Bears fans think he is and if he struggles like he historically has it should not be a surprise. Especially when you consider he is now being asked to be the anchor on the offensive line when historically he's been the worst of the five guys on the offensive line. Bushrod is being asked to step up his game and be the best player, the leader of this offensive line and to be the best player, instead of the weak link.

The Saints have consistently had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and the other four players on their offensive line have always been among the best and they've been able to get by with Bushrod not being one of the best. Bushrod is now in a completely opposite position in Chicago, he has to be the best player on this offensive line....PERIOD.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The point is to forewarn people who think Bushrod is this tremendous pass protection upgrade over Webb. The Bears spent a lot of money on a player who may or may not be a major upgrade. It's a move that can legitimately be questioned as Bushrod has a lot to prove.

Bushrod is not the savior that a lot of Bears fans think he is and if he struggles like he historically has it should not be a surprise. Especially when you consider he is now being asked to be the anchor on the offensive line when historically he's been the worst of the five guys on the offensive line. Bushrod is being asked to step up his game and be the best player, the leader of this offensive line and to be the best player, instead of the weak link.

The Saints have consistently had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and the other four players on their offensive line have always been among the best and they've been able to get by with Bushrod not being one of the best. Bushrod is now in a completely opposite position in Chicago, he has to be the best player on this offensive line....PERIOD.

I don't think that mentality was ever prevalent here.

People were pointing it out before and when he was signed.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Difference is that he may be the best player on this line starting next season. He's the only one that's been in the system and if he's slightly better than Webb who was our best last year, Bushrod will be the best lineman, at least at 1st. Says more about last year's line than this years. Bushrod also wasn't the worse guy On N.O.s line. If he was worse than their RT, they'd have swapped like we did. Bushrod was plan B but I'm very happy to have him. We've been fishing for tackles seemingly forever. It was time to cut bait and stop at the fish store on the way home.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Again, more subjective blathering about probably the most cogent point in all of this.

The Bears actually ranked 23rd in YPA, and 27th in net YPA (which factors in sacks).

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Also, please respond to my post. Thanks

Yards per pass attempt through the air...the distance the football traveled through the air when thrown. Not the amount of yards the Bears racked up per attempt.

I made myself quite clear and the link I provided does as well. Look at the Deep pass percentage. That statistic has nothing to do with the number of yards the Bears had in completed passes relative to the number of attempts.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Guy does a very good job with extinguishing phantom fires.

Dude if you backpedal any harder you might fall harder on your ass than you consistently do on your face. You've been in complete reverse since I asked you who the better player wound up being last year Chandler Jones, Whitney Mercilus or Shea McClellin. Keep it up though I love watching you continue to grasp at straws much like you just did in the fantasy TE article where you tried to insinuate that Finley was going to be cut for lack of production rather than his $8.75-million cap hit in 2013.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Yards per pass attempt through the air...the distance the football traveled through the air when thrown. Not the amount of yards the Bears racked up per attempt.

I made myself quite clear and the link I provided does as well. Look at the Deep pass percentage. That statistic has nothing to do with the number of yards the Bears had in completed passes relative to the number of attempts.

So basically a meaningless stat that has no bearing on this conversation.

OK.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
We'll see. Too much emphasis on his mope a dope persona than what he does on the field. If you watched Bushrod last year, he looked no more engaged than Webb. Happy you got to call Webb stupid again? It's just football. LOL
I wasn't clear on what I meant with mental ability. Webb may be a Rhodes Scholar for all I know, but I don't think so. My concern is his ability to make quick decisions in pressure situations and his "feel"for the game. I think he's ridden freakish physical talents about as far as he can. So many times last year his pressures or sacks were complete whiffs or inexplicably getting beat inside when having outside help. I just think he is the OT version of Alonzo Spellman.

Oh,and the video where he references football as his job, in a this job sucks sort of tone, really doesn't say over achiever to me.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
At the end of the day...Emery might be willing to admit the same.

However, you have to look at the corner he was painted into due to Angelo having three, first-round, strikeouts at the position. He was a FA familiar with the coaching schemes...you almost have to make that move.

There's going to be more growing pains on the OL again for sure, but I think someone with some damn sense on how to run a pro football offense can work around that. Quick passes working the seams and run the offense through Matt Forte early on...I think by mid- October we can have, at the least, a more competent offense with consistent line play along with more efficient quarterbacking.

Then you really open up that playbook and surprise the hell out of Dom Capers.

Agreed. Bushrod ( via ripple effect ) will definitely be an improvement over Carimi's play last year

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dude if you backpedal any harder you might fall harder on your ass than you consistently do on your face. You've been in complete reverse since I asked you who the better player wound up being last year Chandler Jones, Whitney Mercilus or Shea McClellin. Keep it up though I love watching you continue to grasp at straws much like you just did in the fantasy TE article where you tried to insinuate that Finley was going to be cut for lack of production rather than his $8.75-million cap hit in 2013.

Leave me out of the conversations in your head.

Doug Grohlin

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a feeling we'll know if he was an upgrayedd (Two d's for a double dose of pimping - Idiocracy) come September.