Can Justin Fields Elevate this Team?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Teams should always try to build a great team, regardless of having a weakness at a specific position. That goes w/out saying.
There are many who are already fuming at the prospect of the Bears taking a 3T, safety or cornerback in the second round instead of overdrafting a wide receiver. Despite the fact that the Bears will probably get a better player if they don't draft wide receiver.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Then give another example of a QB elevating others around him without using someone like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning
Kurt Warner?

The Gipper?

Ok, he technically was not around the players since he was dead, but he did elevate their play.

Liked Posts:
There are many who are already fuming at the prospect of the Bears taking a 3T, safety or cornerback in the second round instead of overdrafting a wide receiver. Despite the fact that the Bears will probably get a player if they don't draft wide receiver.
I think people are just eager to fill a position that is clearly a weakness. Problem is there are many positions of weakness. So, obviously smart thing to do is just pick the best player possible at a position that is a priority and has a need.

I'm not a big fan of wasting picks on WRs, but if a talented one is there, sure no problems with it. If an even more talented CB or 3T is there, no problems taking them over a WR, to me it's a better investment anyway.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think you prioritize WR because it is a need period and it is likely a WR may in fact be BPA when we pick. Most teams are in 11 personnel the majority of the time. We in effect only have 2 of 3 starting WR slots filled.

There are also still FA OL the Bears can sign but very slim pickings at WR. So WR is a critical need because we are ridiculously thin there.
The Bears long-term situation at offensive tackle, defensive tackle, edge rusher, corner and safety is no less dire than wide receiver. Why should the Bears prioritize wide receiver over those other positions?

And don't present the Bears only alternative as spending a hundred plus million on a Tyreek Hill or Davante Adams. There are other ways to address the position than desperately reaching or desperately forking over way too much money.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would think after the draft people can reevaluate the roster. I think the issue is you pre-emptively deciding he most be a top 10 or 12 QB without any idea of what the final roster looks like.
12 - 15th, 10 is too difficult at the moment. Mostly 4k guys there.

And also, I'll cut him some slack if he looks good and his receivers don't. I can tell the difference.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Because that separation dwindles on NFL corners when you're going deep and safeties are helping. That separation you're describing comes mostly from crisp routes and mismatches of the 80's that Shula created.

Duper, Clayton and Marino were exceptions before any version of a cover 2 was present in the NFL. It's like saying Mahomes proves small WRs (Hill) are the thing. It proves Marino and Mahomes are great QBs. Speed kills but speed and size kills more. Everyone here know how much I like Mooney and wanted him before that draft but it won't blind me to the advantages of a bigger one on one guy you can just pitch it to when you can't be perfect.

I really like Watson a lot, he's a natural for the spot except for one thing. His hands could be more consistent. How scouts/GMs view that will have a great deal to do with where he's drafted. I'm not concerned with his lack of yardage in college but his hands could limit his draft status. Getting space early in routes shouldn't be an issue for him.
I agree that a WR who checks all of the boxes is the dream draft pick. I even said that Watson would be a great draft pick. I also said that the cost of a Watson would be considerably more expensive than a Calvin Austin III.

Watson may not even be available at 39 or some other position might be more important and more scarce, like LT.

I am just saying that adding a player that checks every single box but the height box could still be huge for the Bears.

Honestly, there are so many WRs in the draft who could help the Bears in 2022. Poles may be looking to fill offensive line at 39.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Trubs had the benefit of Nagy's O that first year being new. Once NFL Ds had that O on tape it started to flounder and Nagy never adjusted.
It was the same with Trestman and it might be the same with Getsy.

If so, Fields will have a very good year.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
The Bears long-term situation at offensive tackle, defensive tackle, edge rusher, corner and safety is no less dire than wide receiver. Why should the Bears prioritize wide receiver over those other positions?

And don't present the Bears only alternative as spending a hundred plus million on a Tyreek Hill or Davante Adams. There are other ways to address the position than desperately reaching or desperately forking over way too much money.
Safety is absolutely a less dire need because of positional value

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Oh we’re back to his r3tard yards argument ??? @Anytime23
It was 200 yards, then 250, then it was 250+win+4 consistent qtrs. Then it was Davis Mills comparisons with selective stat totals.

Here are the facts. Fields played under a coach who multiple players have come out and said that he doesn't take constructive criticism and flat out ignores his players. The guy literally doesn't show up to meeting. The fact that we still have to mention this to people is incredible. They really don't understand how shit of a situation he was put in. But hey, only 5 different Qbs looked terrible in that system. Not enough sample size to say for sure.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

We already discussed this.

OT - We already have 2 prospects here that can start and likely will pick up an OT in FA. Your uncertainty regarding Jenkins and Borom does not change the fact they are better options at tackle than St Brown and Newsome are at the 3rd starting WR spot.

DT - This is not dire as we have Edwards, Blackson and Jones who can play here with Jones only being 25. Again that is better than St Brown and Newsome as effectively a starting WR.

Edge - This is most delusional. We have 18 sack Quinn and 2 guys in Gipson and Muhammded that are 24 and 27 and had 7 and 6 sacks. By contrast our 3rd starting WR options right now are guys who did jack shit at WR last year.

CB - We have Johnson and yes we need another but CB is not a top need in a Cover 2. You can find zone CBs for a Cover 2 late in the draft and in FA. We arent going to pay Johnson and another top CB big money because again CB is not as critical in a Cover 2.

S - We have Jackson, DHC and Cruishank. The latter 2 again have far more actual production than St Brown and Newsome.

So not sure what you are smoking. WR is a massive need. We have better options at those other positions than we do at 3rd WR which again is basically a starter.

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Vildor looked like he sucks and you thought he was a starting CB because he made two open field tackles and a PD. Maybe sit this one out.
Yeah I'm not going to be apoplectic if the Bears don't build their future around Kindle Vildor. That's the big difference here, partner.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah I'm not going to be apoplectic if the Bears don't build their future around Kindle Vildor. That's the big difference here, partner.
Yeah, Vildor is asked to cover a teams #2 WR and to not spin in circles until he falls to the ground while opposing QBs have the highest rating in the league vs him. Justin Fields was asked to run a completely broken offense no prep, no coaching, no adjustments, bad receiving talent and a mediocre OL.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Vildor literally gets beat for a TD that ends up dropped because of another defenders hustle. Vildor fans in IGT "VILDOR AGAIN!"

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
- Raimann or Tyler Smith (or lindenbaum or green in case they fall but unlikely) with 38

- if any of those above OL are still available at 48, draft another one. If all gone then pick best WR available

- cole strange, petit frere or corner in round 3

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
- Raimann or Tyler Smith (or lindenbaum or green in case they fall but unlikely) with 38

- if any of those above OL are still available at 48, draft another one. If all gone then pick best WR available

- cole strange, petit frere or corner in round 3

I'm a big believer in going O-line heavy this draft. If we believe the rumors that Poles is not a fan of Borom, then that really leaves us in a not-so-good spot.

I would like another WR as well, but O-line first.

As you said, Raimann or Tyler Smith (or Green or Johnson if either somehow falls by some miracle), and then Strange in the 3rd round.

There would be a lot of flexibility there, which based on the attempted signing of Bates, is something Poles likes.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Montucky is right that the Bears don't have to prioritize help for Fields. Going into year 2, we have 3 seasons to evaluate Fields before we have to make a contract decision.

I am just hoping for the sake of the Bears being watchable they get a little help for the offense. A return to 2004 and the cover 2 just isn't very exciting. And to some degree getting a competent group of 3 WRs will help us evaluate Fields.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Sounds like the trubisky fan goof balls want a scenario for fields to fail.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Getting rid of Nagy is easily +2 wins, but the loss of Mack, Arob and a few others hurts. This is certainly a less talented team than last season. I think 7 or 8 wins would be a pretty good showing by Eberflus.
No I mean at any point as a head coach.