Can Justin Fields Elevate this Team?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I bet if one was to go into that post history you would see him cape for trubisky the same way he is accusing people doing for fields. He used to also cape for pace so his posts are agenda driven
Oh he loved him some Pace

Montucky

Liked Posts:
So I’m assuming that goes for the other four QBs under Nagy too?
Sure. I think the issues with Mitch Trubisky, Mike Glennon, Nick Foles, Chase Daniel and Andy Dalton pretty much all stem from the fact that at the stage of their careers that they were with the Bears they just kinda sucked. Some of them just sucked in general. There is some hope out there that Mitch Trubisky will have some sort of career ascension in Pittsburgh, but I doubt it.

Good players tend to play well even if the deck is stacked against them. You can tell when a guy is wallowing and being held back. Justin Fields wasn't that. He stank.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The issue with many Bears fans seems to be their inability to comprehend the poor play of Justin Fields without resorting to copes like Matt Nagy being responsible or the Bears not providing enough weapons. Fact is Justin Herbert performed despite Anthony Lynn, and Josh Allen showed lots of encouraging signs despite only throwing to John Brown and Cole Beasley. Even Davis Mills looked better despite being on the shitty Texans.
A lot of preemptive excuse making around here about the roster and we haven't even had the draft yet. It's like they don't have a lot of faith in Fields.

Who knows, maybe Fields has a 4k season and then we'll hear how they had no doubts.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sure. I think the issues with Mitch Trubisky, Mike Glennon, Nick Foles, Chase Daniel and Andy Dalton pretty much all stem from the fact that at the stage of their careers that they were with the Bears they just kinda sucked. Some of them just sucked in general. There is some hope out there that Mitch Trubisky will have some sort of career ascension in Pittsburgh, but I doubt it.

Good players tend to play well even if the deck is stacked against them. You can tell when a guy is wallowing and being held back. Justin Fields wasn't that. He stank.
Then so did Josh Allen, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning,etc. I can easily keep going

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
A lot of preemptive excuse making around here about the roster and we haven't even had the draft yet. It's like they don't have a lot of faith in Fields.

Who knows, maybe Fields has a 4k season and then we'll hear how they had no doubts.
We noticed you haven’t come up in what you expect from Fields next year, are you really going with 200 yards a game again? @Montucky do you base a QBs success off of yards too

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Who knows, maybe Fields has a 4k season and then we'll hear how they had no doubt.
My real core contention here is that the Bears shouldn't go out of their way to accommodate Justin Fields. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to prioritize drafting a wide receiver over offensive line or even defensive players. And this obsession people have with reuniting Fields with his old college buddies is even dumber.

If the Bears want to give Justin Fields seventeen games of run to see what he's about I'm all for it. I have a feeling how its going to go, but the NFL is a funny league and fortunes can change fast. But the attitude that this season is "all about the development of Justin Fields" isn't grounded in anything more than draft status from a year ago when Ryan Pace (once again) sold the farm in a last ditch effort to keep his job.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Then so did Josh Allen, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning,etc. I can easily keep going
Peyton Manning broke the rookie record for touchdowns thrown. Eli Manning had the most bizarre career of maybe any quarterback ever.

Josh Allen surprised me. He surprised a lot of people. Deep down in my heart of hearts I'm still not sure I'm sold on him. If you are holding out hope that Justin Fields abysmal showing his rookie season is actually a good thing because it mirrors the career of Josh Allen I'm starting to think delusion is setting in.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My real core contention here is that the Bears shouldn't go out of their way to accommodate Justin Fields. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to prioritize drafting a wide receiver over offensive line or even defensive players. And this obsession people have with reuniting Fields with his old college buddies is even dumber.

If the Bears want to give Justin Fields seventeen games of run to see what he's about I'm all for it. I have a feeling how its going to go, but the NFL is a funny league and fortunes can change fast. But the attitude that this season is "all about the development of Justin Fields" isn't grounded in anything more than draft status from a year ago when Ryan Pace (once again) sold the farm in a last ditch effort to keep his job.
Lol

Liked Posts:

Until the bears know they got the real deal in a QB, every year will be about finding and developing their QB of the future. The building around a QB happens after you've confirmed you've got your QB of the future.

There is no "building around" Fields that is taking place. Nobody is even asking for it. All people are asking for is putting together an adequate level OL and skills positions players on offense. This should be the goal regardless of whom your QB is. But it really benefits the bears, b/c they'll be able to assess Fields' ability without major talent constraints impacting him, which for a young QB gets highlighted more deeply than a vet.

I don't think you have to worry about the bears going out of their way to accommodate Fields, I think it's pretty clear that's not Poles' plan. Poles might still go after offense with his first 4-5 picks, but I think a lot of those will be no-brainer picks that will fill positions in need the most and aligned with best talent available.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Until the bears know they got the real deal in a QB, every year will be about finding and developing their QB of the future. The building around a QB happens after you've confirmed you've got your QB of the future.
The 2018 Super Bowl champions started Nick Foles at quarterback. The 2020 Super Bowl Champions signed a forty-two year old Tom Brady before the season started. The 2021 Super Bowl champions traded for their quarterback the off-season before they won it all.

You don't need the Mystical Quarterback Of The Future to win it all. There are other ways.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I would think after the draft people can reevaluate the roster. I think the issue is you pre-emptively deciding he most be a top 10 or 12 QB without any idea of what the final roster looks like.

Liked Posts:
The 2018 Super Bowl champions started Nick Foles at quarterback. The 2020 Super Bowl Champions signed a forty-two year old Tom Brady before the season started. The 2021 Super Bowl champions traded for their quarterback the off-season before they won it all.

You don't need the Mystical Quarterback Of The Future to win it all. There are other ways.

No idea what your point is.

All those teams (minus the eagles, which are nothing but an outlier, and would've probably won with Wentz regardless, negating your "point") won with THE QB they wanted and went all in with.

1. Nick Foles had a great offense around him that was built around Wentz and worked great with Foles in it as well (not planned for)
2. Tom Brady - Bucs handed him the keys, he had the entire offense built around him lol, he basically had his pick of talent from day 1
3. Stafford - Rams went all in, and he joined a team full of pro-bowlers

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if they are doing Mahommes any favors. Seeing what Nagy did to Trubisky, Foles, Dalton and Fields can't fill him with confidence.
I disagree. Nagy certainly can help Mahomes.

Imagine after a grueling workout and then some film review. Mahomes is tired and he just wants to go home. Instead of having to go out of his way to pickup the dry-cleaning, Mahomes knows that Nagy went to pick it up for him and put it in his car. Nagy also filled up the car, got it washed and did some grocery shopping for him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think you prioritize WR because it is a need period and it is likely a WR may in fact be BPA when we pick. Most teams are in 11 personnel the majority of the time. We in effect only have 2 of 3 starting WR slots filled.

There are also still FA OL the Bears can sign but very slim pickings at WR. So WR is a critical need because we are ridiculously thin there.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
No idea what your point is.

All those teams (minus the eagles, which are nothing but an outlier, and would've probably won with Wentz regardless, negating your "point") won with THE QB they wanted and went all in with.

1. Nick Foles had a great offense around him that was built around Wentz and worked great with Foles in it as well (not planned for)
2. Tom Brady - Bucs handed him the keys, he had the entire offense built around him lol, he basically had his pick of talent from day 1
3. Stafford - Rams went all in, and he joined a team full of pro-bowlers
The lesson here seems to be build a great team and worry about the quarterback thing when its time to win. Glad you're on board with drafting defense this year!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Please calm down.

No one is saying Fields has to be Brady. It's just an example of a QB elevating the players he has to work with.

And you skipped over the first part. You don't think Fields can at least be the 15th ranked QB next year?
He can be a top 15 QB in 2022, but I would still be happy with showing the progress of being a top 20 QB in 2022.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We noticed you haven’t come up in what you expect from Fields next year, are you really going with 200 yards a game again? @Montucky do you base a QBs success off of yards too
How many times we got to ask this guy lol. He’s scared if his expectations are met he won’t get a chance to pms post

Liked Posts:
The lesson here seems to be build a great team and worry about the quarterback thing when its time to win. Glad you're on board with drafting defense this year!
Teams should always try to build a great team, regardless of having a weakness at a specific position. That goes w/out saying.

Liked Posts:
He can be a top 15 QB in 2022, but I would still be happy with showing the progress of being a top 20 QB in 2022.
Watch out, if he ends up being 21st, you'll get shit on by shitstain, he's firmly written your "prediction" in his diary.