Chase Daniel and Trey Wingo destroying narratives regarding Justin fields

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He’s making it only about cw it feels but maybe I’m wrong
Correct, I’m not sold on CW. @Anytime45 and a few others are sold on Maye, I just haven’t watched him(much). Watched plenty of Daniels, seems like another Fields. Penix intrigues me the most since he’s a pure pocket passer. And also could be had later. This roster is still below average across the board so that’s mainly why I want more picks.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
I don’t know. But I do know you can’t win a SB with this roster and the roster still needs much more talent and more than just a QB. If they fire Flus? Yes, move Fields and get a QB. Problem with going with a QB is they likely go thru another Fields situation with a new HC/OC in 2025. They won’t make the playoffs in 2024 with a rookie QB.
Eberflus/Fields/Getsy aren't going anywhere folks. Consider that #1 pick officially open for business.

Can't say I agree with passing on a QB at #1, but it is what it is.

Go get Nabers and the best pass rusher available.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Eberflus/Fields/Getsy aren't going anywhere folks. Consider that #1 pick officially open for business.

Can't say I agree with passing on a QB at #1, but it is what it is.

Go get Nabers and the best pass rusher available.
They might address the DE or DT position in FA so it might not be a pressing need.

jive

Liked Posts:
I agree with everyone that's says that we have alot more needs than a QB. We saw what adding Sweat did for the D, but we still need upgrades to be dominant. The offense still needs weapons, and the O line is barely passable at best.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No matter which way you swing, can we all agree that Trey Wingo & Chase Daniel did not “destroy narratives” around Justin Fields?

In fact, they just cemented the same conversations we’ve been having for months.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Fozzie Land, Muppet City, The Former US of A
All these meatballs will magically turn into Caleb Williams super-fans, who never questioned his ability, wanted him all along - and of course - saw that Justin wasn't the guy DURING year three.

If we draft Williams, the backpedaling will begin. It might be right after he holds up that Bears jersey during the draft or when he throws his first TD...but it will happen.

I'd specifically @ the biggest offenders, but I'd get banned for a call-out, even when I've seen mods do call-outs.

naw, im on record. id only hope he would do well cause im a bears fan.

calm down child, no one would be mad if the bears draft caleb.

There will be tantrums thrown if they stick with fields, by you specifically.

not true at all... i'd be very mudd going by the 3 games i saw.... i mean if you took him in the 4th id be like meh

Fields is toast. Do you really think the Bears want to pay 40-50 million a year to a QB that runs 10-12 times a game? Fields has already missed 10 games in 2 1/2 years. This is a Daniel jones situation all over again if they Bears pass on Williams.

I watched the video. Chase Daniel’s just said if they build around Fields he can be a top 10-15 QB. Who the heck wants that? That’s his ceiling? Being average????

I want an elite QB for once. Bears deserve it. Caleb can be a top 5 QB. I’ll take my chances with greatness vs mediocrity for a few years until fields body breaks down from injury from running the football

then pay him 20-25 mil.. since he runs 10-12 times a game.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
In fact, they just cemented the same conversations we’ve been having for months.

Especially trading Fields.
So we could get the #1 QB that's only slightly less of a sure thing than the QB we have, a pretty good WR at #11 and also get a late 1st to a 2nd in return for Fields? Plus that would assure the #1 QB gets starter reps in the off season?
I would almost think they were trying to sell me on the idea.

They sure didn't sell me on the idea that Fields is playing at top 10 levels right now just because they can say it with conviction. I think he has that potential if he can work through what the last 3 years of oline and WRs have taught him but he's not there right now.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If you take Williams with the first, trade Fields for this years first, next years first plus to Washington or NE for the 2nd or 3rd overall, you can still get MHJ. Those 2 teams both need a QB.
wut

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Like I said, get the evaluation right. If you trust in your evaluation, there’s no reason to say, “Well, first round picks bust a lot” as the reason to back out. That tells me you don’t trust your evaluation. GMs don’t think like fans.

I guarantee you that whichever GM takes Williams isn’t saying, “Well damn, I have him as my top guy, but first rounders bust a lot. No deal!”

By the way, my original statement was that saying “We don’t know what X is going to do as a pro” isn’t a legitimate reason to pass on someone. That’s absolutely true, because you could say that about literally any pick ever.

Yes, trust that you are the only one in history who can reliably evaluate a player...

Seems reasonable

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Some people on this board think Fields is a top QB in this league. If he is evaluated as a top QB in this league, teams will trade multiple first round picks for him.

The Bears would be able to pick Williams at # 1 and then trade Fields for the # 2 or # 3 overall pick in the 2024 plus at least an extra first round pick minimum in the 2025 draft.

If Fields is a top QB in this league, the Bears would be getting a massive haul for trading him. But he is not and that is why people are speculating only a 2nd rounder.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Yes, trust that you are the only one in history who can reliably evaluate a player...

Seems reasonable
The Texans are probably pretty sure that they properly evaluated Stroud.

The Chiefs are probably pretty sure that they properly evaluated Mahomes.

If you think the best anyone can do is a coin toss, why even have scouts? If it’s all the same, save a bunch of money and just throw darts.

bufordht

Liked Posts:

If you think the best anyone can do is a coin toss, why even have scouts? If it’s all the same, save a bunch of money and just throw darts.

I rest that the Texans wanted to trade up for Young but ultimately didn't want to pay the price.

Are you saying some can do better than a coin flip? Who are these people???

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I rest that the Texans wanted to trade up for Young but ultimately didn't want to pay the price.

Are you saying some can do better than a coin flip? Who are these people???
You took an issue with me saying Poles should trust his evaluation. Are you suggesting GMs should not trust their evaluation? What’s the purpose of GMs if they should not trust their own judgments and weigh them against the judgments of their scouts, staff, etc.?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

It's not so much a coin toss but you have to weigh all the possibilities.
Fields probably isn't a complete bust. Williams could bust no matter how he's evaluated. Likewise Fields probably isn't going to become GOAT while Williams could.

It's basically why we paid a Giraffe $18 mill to start, to hedge the risk. Even though the Giraffe was a bigger risk and the draftee was evaluated the vet was a known. Even if he was known to be bad.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
You took an issue with me saying Poles should trust his evaluation. Are you suggesting GMs should not trust their evaluation? What’s the purpose of GMs if they should not trust their own judgments and weigh them against the judgments of their scouts, staff, etc.?

If the Bears had Mahomes and Poles thinks Williams would be better, should he trust that, trade Mahomes and pick Williams? Or should he consider that there's a high chance his evaluation is wrong and keep the guy he has? Isn't it part of the equation?

Again, will you trade the $1000 you have for a shot at 10k? Do you want to know what chances are of winning or do you just trust that you'll hit?

I take issue with you saying that the chance of a bust doesn't enter the equation when you are replacing a known quantity.

Reactions: Myk

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It's not so much a coin toss but you have to weigh all the possibilities.
Fields probably isn't a complete bust. Williams could bust no matter how he's evaluated. Likewise Fields probably isn't going to become GOAT while Williams could.

It's basically why we paid a Giraffe $18 mill to start, to hedge the risk. Even though the Giraffe was a bigger risk and the draftee was evaluated the vet was a known. Even if he was known to be bad.
That’s not the question. The question is whether the GM should trust his own judgment and evaluation, which would seemingly be a non1controversial take, but hey, CCS.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If the Bears had Mahomes and Poles thinks Williams would be better, should he trust that, trade Mahomes and pick Williams? Or should he consider that there's a high chance his evaluation is wrong and keep the guy he has? Isn't it part of the equation?

Again, will you trade the $1000 you have for a shot at 10k? Do you want to know what chances are of winning or do you just trust that you'll hit?

I take issue with you saying that the chance of a bust doesn't enter the equation when you are replacing a known quantity.
The question is whether a GM should trust his own judgment and evaluation. The answer is easy. No GM is saying, “I think this guy is the next big thing, but I’m not going to pick him because most first rounders are busts.”

By the way, unless you believe every GM drafts the same way and every organization drafts the same way, you can’t say it’s just a coin flip no matter what. You have to take into account draft histories organizationally and personally.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
The question is whether a GM should trust his own judgment and evaluation. The answer is easy. No GM is saying, “I think this guy is the next big thing, but I’m not going to pick him because most first rounders are busts.”

By the way, unless you believe every GM drafts the same way and every organization drafts the same way, you can’t say it’s just a coin flip no matter what. You have to take into account draft histories organizationally and personally.

“I think this guy is the next big thing, but I’m not going to pick him because most first rounders are busts.”

Who and where was this even said except for the 30 times you've said it?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
“I think this guy is the next big thing, but I’m not going to pick him because most first rounders are busts.”

Who and where was this even said except for the 30 times you've said it?
The people who say you can’t pick Williams because look at all the first round busts. Pay attention.

Who do you think the Bears should pick?

bufordht

Liked Posts:
The people who say you can’t pick Williams because look at all the first round busts. Pay attention.

Who do you think the Bears should pick?

I have only seen you say this.

I have seen some folks say that they should not replace fields because he is a known quantity with a known floor and the risk of Williams busting is too high. But you refuse to acknowledge this line of thinking.

I really think you're just arguing to argue. I know I am 🤣

I don't have an opinion on who they should draft.