Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cease has Braves and Dodgers on him.

Glasgow Cubs and Reds

Bieber is speculation at this point

Biggest prize I doubt the Cubs are in the mix with the Cubs stealing their manager. So not bothering. He will cost the largest haul. Why teams are looking at cheaper options in prospect loss

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I'd be alright with Bieber if he's packaged with ramirez then go out and sign another starter. Wouldn't mind Glasgow with Paredes either

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd be alright with Bieber if he's packaged with ramirez then go out and sign another starter. Wouldn't mind Glasgow with Paredes either
I would be fine with getting Paredes also. It would cost more. Speculation is Glasgow would cost Brown and Ferris. And I'm fine with that. Adding Paredes would add Shaw and Alcantara.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Glasnow = MLB pitcher who could be moved this offseason

Glasgow = City in Scotland, and it ain’t movin’!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Auto spell always went there. Guess it was for a reason. :/

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So... i get the Ohtani hype and all.... but all things being equal... is it bad that i knda want soto instead? Obviously theres a level of what you have to give up to get Soto there. But i guess for me from a statistical perspective I trust what i see in Soto more not to mention his age. Like when Ohtani was 24 he hit .286/.343/ .505 for a 120 wRC+. Soto hit .275/.410/.519 for a 155 wRC+ in a pitchers park for half his games. You can argue Ohtani has more raw power but for me Soto has a historically stupid season in him at some point. I'm talking something like frank thomas' 1994 season. With Ohtani.. from a stats perspective i struggle to see him improve his numbers from last year. He just strikes out too much to make a marked improvement overall. And while his walk rate was up last year. I'm not convinced it's sustainable at 15% nor do i think it can improve.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So... i get the Ohtani hype and all.... but all things being equal... is it bad that i knda want soto instead? Obviously theres a level of what you have to give up to get Soto there. But i guess for me from a statistical perspective I trust what i see in Soto more not to mention his age. Like when Ohtani was 24 he hit .286/.343/ .505 for a 120 wRC+. Soto hit .275/.410/.519 for a 155 wRC+ in a pitchers park for half his games. You can argue Ohtani has more raw power but for me Soto has a historically stupid season in him at some point. I'm talking something like frank thomas' 1994 season. With Ohtani.. from a stats perspective i struggle to see him improve his numbers from last year. He just strikes out too much to make a marked improvement overall. And while his walk rate was up last year. I'm not convinced it's sustainable at 15% nor do i think it can improve.
i agree soto is likely the better investment due to age. just comes down to does SD actually trade him, and if so, at what cost? Then you still have to work out an extension after that with Soto, and isnt he a boras client? he doesnt usually let guys sign extensions, he wants his guys to hit the open market

so thats the cause for concern with trading for soto, whereas ohtani just takes alot of cash lol

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
To me i feel like you can't or at least shouldn't be getting much more than a QO pick type value. It's possible someone does pay that but to me that's where you should be starting and if that's not enough.... so be it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To me i feel like you can't or at least shouldn't be getting much more than a QO pick type value. It's possible someone does pay that but to me that's where you should be starting and if that's not enough.... so be it.

SD would ask for PCA. Which is crazy talk

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
itll be more than that. thats what happens when there ends up being several teams interested in bidding.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
i agree soto is likely the better investment due to age. just comes down to does SD actually trade him, and if so, at what cost? Then you still have to work out an extension after that with Soto, and isnt he a boras client? he doesnt usually let guys sign extensions, he wants his guys to hit the open market

so thats the cause for concern with trading for soto, whereas ohtani just takes alot of cash lol

I'm starting to think the Cubs might pull out of the Soto market and either address him next offseason or make moves to bring in his type production elsewhere. I don't think the Cubs land Ohtani but money hopefully isn't the reason more so he just thinks he can have a better chance of winning with the Dodgers. I can accept that. I just want the Cubs to otherwise be aggressive and take that money and address areas. I'd also rhter they trade whatever farm depth they have for players with control versus deadline additions that are gone after the season. The logjam will become real in the next 2 years. Some will have to go, I just don't want it to be for guys who are gone in 8-12 weeks.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm starting to think the Cubs might pull out of the Soto market and either address him next offseason or make moves to bring in his type production elsewhere. I don't think the Cubs land Ohtani but money hopefully isn't the reason more so he just thinks he can have a better chance of winning with the Dodgers. I can accept that. I just want the Cubs to otherwise be aggressive and take that money and address areas. I'd also rhter they trade whatever farm depth they have for players with control versus deadline additions that are gone after the season. The logjam will become real in the next 2 years. Some will have to go, I just don't want it to be for guys who are gone in 8-12 weeks.
not sure where they find soto like production outside of soto and ohtani

i think the hinderance to an ohtani signing is likely due to chicago weather and wrigley not being a dome. i imagine he would rather not play in cold weather

CSF77

Liked Posts:
not sure where they find soto like production outside of soto and ohtani

i think the hinderance to an ohtani signing is likely due to chicago weather and wrigley not being a dome. i imagine he would rather not play in cold weather

Japan gets cold. Cubs play in summer. Not sure the why part on this.

He most likely uses the Cubs to drive up LAD. But I see the Cubs as choice #2

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Japan gets cold. Cubs play in summer. Not sure the why part on this.

He most likely uses the Cubs to drive up LAD. But I see the Cubs as choice #2
I highly doubt his decision comes down to money. It'll be factors such as winning, location preference and his own legacy. Idk how dodgers don't win that