Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I highly doubt his decision comes down to money. It'll be factors such as winning, location preference and his own legacy. Idk how dodgers don't win that

Legacy could be one thing in the Cubs favor. There are many all-time great Dodgers. The list for the Cubs isn't so long. It's sort of like going to the Yankees or Red Sox. You might be great, but you'll be just another great for them. Ohtani could easily become the greatest Cub ever and join the ranks of Walter and Jordan in Chicago lore.

Winning would seem to favor the Dodgers unless you'd try to point to how competitive the rest of the division is by comparison. All that being said, I still put the Dodgers at 75%, Cubs 15%, Jays, 8%, shocker 2%.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Legacy could be one thing in the Cubs favor. There are many all-time great Dodgers. The list for the Cubs isn't so long. It's sort of like going to the Yankees or Red Sox. You might be great, but you'll be just another great for them. Ohtani could easily become the greatest Cub ever and join the ranks of Walter and Jordan in Chicago lore.

Winning would seem to favor the Dodgers unless you'd try to point to how competitive the rest of the division is by comparison. All that being said, I still put the Dodgers at 75%, Cubs 15%, Jays, 8%, shocker 2%.

Hmmm
I would say Dodgers 40%. Cubs 30%. Rest 30%.

Dodgers are missing a rotation and are looking at a issue that Ohtani can not solve right now. So this is not a slam dunk.

Cubs a larger need for a core LH power hitter vs a SP.

If David would have let PCA and Mervis play full time and be able to adjust then this might have been a lesser issue. So as things stand Jed needs that left handed bat to replace their MVP last year.

By getting that it allows PCA to develop under less pressure to produce and just give D value in CF and everything else is a work in process.

With out that core hitter then PCA most likely goes to AAA another year and they try other approaches to generate runs.

I'm pretty sure that this was a factor in letting Ross go. He did not allow the next generation the time to develop. You need a leader that has brought up home grown talent and was able to get value from it.

So expect the inhouse to see more time but it would be folly to go all in on it. You need that line up force that get teams attention and the fans respect. This will fill the stands and make good baseball to watch

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
tldr bleachernation has been mentioning Yoshinobu Yamamoto is connected to the cubs heavily and I'll be honest I didn't know ton about him so I did a little digging. My initial thought was the money the media was tying to his name was crazy for an unproven pitcher. But in digging I found a pitching ninja youtube video on him talking about his pitches from a statcast perspective to try and glean an idea of what they might be like comparable to similar MLB pitchers. For his fastball they had a Kevin Gausman comp. For his curveball they had a better darvish curve. For his splitter they had it as better than Ohtani. And for his cutter even though he didn't throw it a ton it matched corbin burnes. Additionally he's got like 80 grade control.

So needless to say I sorta get it now because that is a crazy pitch mix with amazing control and the guy is 25. Obviously doesn't guarantee things but if he's anywhere near those comps he's easily worth the money.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Oh and one other thing, i compared his state with Trevor Bauer's this season to get a feel how a former MLB pitcher stacks up. He basically was better in every given metric. So if you take Bauer's previous 2 MLB seasons as a baseline he threw 180.2 IP with a 2.24 ERA, 11.8 k/9 and 2.7 bb/9 to go with a 0.919 whip. Not saying he'll be *that* good but a sub 3 ERA for him seems pretty reasonable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I hope not unless every other better option is already taken.

I'm not sure if it will be a major issue. Last year he made 21 starts and pushed 3.2 fWAR. Cubs have Brown and Horton in the wings if needed.

So I'm really not concerned unless TBR completly rip Jed off.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If it is Glasnow, he has to come cheap, too much injury risk on him to spend too much of the farm.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if it will be a major issue. Last year he made 21 starts and pushed 3.2 fWAR. Cubs have Brown and Horton in the wings if needed.

So I'm really not concerned unless TBR completly rip Jed off.

I don't give 1 flying flip about fWAR. I care about him actually being out there for 30 starts pitching 175 innings and being available for the play offs if necessary. The doom of the Cubs last season was the pen getting burned out. I think there are other options that will cost less in prospects and/or money I'd rather they take the risk with. You'd have to be convinced that Glasnow is going to be the guy he was from July on imo to take that risk.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't give 1 flying flip about fWAR. I care about him actually being out there for 30 starts pitching 175 innings and being available for the play offs if necessary. The doom of the Cubs last season was the pen getting burned out. I think there are other options that will cost less in prospects and/or money I'd rather they take the risk with. You'd have to be convinced that Glasnow is going to be the guy he was from July on imo to take that risk.

If we were talking about a multi year deal I would 100% agree. Rich Hill was well sought after for years due to being a top lefty when he was on the mound and the team managed his work load to prevent shut downs. He is still pitching which is remarkable.

So I really don't agree because if they give him a month off and promote Horton while they conserve Glasnow for the post season push I'm not going to complain.

It really depends on how the market lines up.

Rumor has it that they are looking to trade for Glasnow, sign Chapman and maybe get involved with Bellinger. I see Chicago as a outside shot in Ohtani right now. It seems that he has met with the Giants and the Blue Jays so I'm thinking that those are the finalists. Which is fine as the Cubs have many holes to fill and Ohtani fills none of them. But you have to target the best player of this generation first.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
While listening to Locked on Cubs today, they mentioned a rumor of the Cubs trading Cleveland for Bieber and Clase`. Would be and expensive price in terms of prospects, along the lines of Morel, Alcantara, Brown, and Assad. It would address to issues at very affordable money options as Clase is only 4M per for the next 3 years.

I was also wondering about what you might think about the Cubs trading the Yankees for Rizzo if other moves to bring in a 1B don't pan out. Cubs could essentially almost anything for him. While costing 25.5M against the CBT, one move could be Rizzo and Clay Holmes for Brennen Davis. Seen as a minor overpay for the Cubs but it gives them a need filled at 1B and another pen arm, both of which are 1 year deals, and the Yankees get payroll relief should they trade for Soto. Of course a bit of irony is the Cubs could then go hard after Soto the next off season. Might also do Mervis well to have a season to learn from Rizzo.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like they are moving on. About time

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
While listening to Locked on Cubs today, they mentioned a rumor of the Cubs trading Cleveland for Bieber and Clase`. Would be and expensive price in terms of prospects, along the lines of Morel, Alcantara, Brown, and Assad. It would address to issues at very affordable money options as Clase is only 4M per for the next 3 years.

I was also wondering about what you might think about the Cubs trading the Yankees for Rizzo if other moves to bring in a 1B don't pan out. Cubs could essentially almost anything for him. While costing 25.5M against the CBT, one move could be Rizzo and Clay Holmes for Brennen Davis. Seen as a minor overpay for the Cubs but it gives them a need filled at 1B and another pen arm, both of which are 1 year deals, and the Yankees get payroll relief should they trade for Soto. Of course a bit of irony is the Cubs could then go hard after Soto the next off season. Might also do Mervis well to have a season to learn from Rizzo.
Rizzo is old and injury plagued at this point. it would be a foolish move to acquire him IMO

Id rather roll with Mervis than trade for Rizzo at this point

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Rizzo is old and injury plagued at this point. it would be a foolish move to acquire him IMO

Id rather roll with Mervis than trade for Rizzo at this point

What do you think about trading for Bieber and Clase?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I could see Morel traded for Glasgow.
Hoskins signed
Wisdom and Mervis in a platoon
Chapman signed for 3B

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
What do you think about trading for Bieber and Clase?
im certainly open to acquiring those two players if the price is right