1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I could see Morel traded for Glasgow.
Hoskins signed
Wisdom and Mervis in a platoon
Chapman signed for 3B
how would wisdom and mervis be in a platoon when the cubs sign Hoskins and Chapman???

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If it's at all possible I'd try to expand to Jose ramirez. Those 3 would address a lot of needs. Then target the Japanese pitcher and Rhys hoskins.

That would be prospect expensive. We're talking PCA, Horton, Morel, Shaw, and Wenneski just to be close. Maybe swap out Horton for Wicks and Alzolay.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That would be prospect expensive. We're talking PCA, Horton, Morel, Shaw, and Wenneski just to be close. Maybe swap out Horton for Wicks and Alzolay.

I would rather pass.

Chapman just costs cash and Jed can control the years.

Hoskins most likely take a 1+1 like Bellinger did. It is typical for Boras clients. Bellinger struck big and opted. Confronto took the opt after a poor performance.

That saves prospects.

Morel is a hot topic right now and some believe with some tweaks and a stable D position he becomes a All star.

One guy on MLBTR suggested Hoerner to 3B and Morel to 2B to optimize the D. It was out of the box but hmmm.

Morel has a 99% arm strength so DH is really not optimimal. As a pure hitter his 30% strike out rate really deflates his all bat outlook

So you want a ideal usage to max out his potential

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I would rather pass.

Chapman just costs cash and Jed can control the years.

Hoskins most likely take a 1+1 like Bellinger did. It is typical for Boras clients. Bellinger struck big and opted. Confronto took the opt after a poor performance.

That saves prospects.

Morel is a hot topic right now and some believe with some tweaks and a stable D position he becomes a All star.

One guy on MLBTR suggested Hoerner to 3B and Morel to 2B to optimize the D. It was out of the box but hmmm.

Morel has a 99% arm strength so DH is really not optimimal. As a pure hitter his 30% strike out rate really deflates his all bat outlook

So you want a ideal usage to max out his potential
Morel has arm strength and Hoerner gas a gold glove at 2nd, so let’s play Morel at second and move Hoerner. Ugh.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Morel has arm strength and Hoerner gas a gold glove at 2nd, so let’s play Morel at second and move Hoerner. Ugh.

I just reposted it. It was alright. Never said it was stellar.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Morel is more likely to be javy in Detroit than to become a star. I'd move him before other teams realize that

You maybe right but most of I read is teams would do it and most consider 1 for 1 Glasnow and Morel would 100% suck for the Cubs. TB most likely takes Morel to the next level and most don't feel that is worth a 120 IP pitcher for a season.

Javy has some issues and it seems that he got lazy when he got paid. He said he is getting his core back into shape. So take it for it's worth.

I really don't count Javy out because he have far over achieved most scouts projections

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
With the RSN imploding there's been talk about impact on FA but i don't feel like there's been enough talk on trade outside of Soto/SD. I haven't really looked through the full list of impacted teams but something that struck me is there likely are going to be other guys near FA(maybe 2-3 years away) who teams wont have the long term income to assuredly lock up. So, while i see a lot of lament about ohtani potentially going else where, having free money always allows you to make other moves. At least, that's how i'd like the cubs to run things. Because essentially if you take the approach of a cleveland or a tampa and build strong farms and don't over spend it opens you to more. Obviously cubs are in a little different situation because they are granted more picks and what not but there are creative ways to get talent like what Atlanta did with Kelnick

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I was curious what a Morel breakout could realistically look like. I'll spare you the boring details i looked at but I basically assumed he could shave 5% off his k rate in his "prime" by sacrificing some power. So I looked at players 1950-present with a walk rate between 7% and 10%, a k rate between 26% and 30% and an iso grated than .200. I was fairly underwhelmed. There's 11 seasons fitting that with players having a 120+ wRC+. 2019 Yoan Moncada, 2013 Brandon Moss, 1968 Reggie Jackson, 2018 Khris Davis, 2015 JD Martinez, 2014 Justin Upton, 2018 Giancarlo Stanton, 2001 Richie Sexton, 2011 Josh Willingham, 2019 Trevor Story, and 2020 Brian Anderson were the names.

Where I'm going with this is wondering value of keeping and developing vs selling "high". I'm inclined to believe you should probably sell high here. His batting profile just makes it really hard for him to succeed with his k rate and not elite walk rate. And while your k rate can improve it's unusual for people to start walking significantly more. So, for him to be kind of that big bat you hope him to be he's gonna need a pretty massive decline in his k rate. If that was at like 2B/SS/CF this would be less of an issue but he's probably a corner guy if that.

It sucks because I like him as a player to watch but barring some drastic change 2023 kinda feels like his peak potential. Oh and if people are wondering what I think he can kinda be... take a look at Trevor Story. They feel like similar hitters though Story is better defensively.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I was curious what a Morel breakout could realistically look like. I'll spare you the boring details i looked at but I basically assumed he could shave 5% off his k rate in his "prime" by sacrificing some power. So I looked at players 1950-present with a walk rate between 7% and 10%, a k rate between 26% and 30% and an iso grated than .200. I was fairly underwhelmed. There's 11 seasons fitting that with players having a 120+ wRC+. 2019 Yoan Moncada, 2013 Brandon Moss, 1968 Reggie Jackson, 2018 Khris Davis, 2015 JD Martinez, 2014 Justin Upton, 2018 Giancarlo Stanton, 2001 Richie Sexton, 2011 Josh Willingham, 2019 Trevor Story, and 2020 Brian Anderson were the names.

Where I'm going with this is wondering value of keeping and developing vs selling "high". I'm inclined to believe you should probably sell high here. His batting profile just makes it really hard for him to succeed with his k rate and not elite walk rate. And while your k rate can improve it's unusual for people to start walking significantly more. So, for him to be kind of that big bat you hope him to be he's gonna need a pretty massive decline in his k rate. If that was at like 2B/SS/CF this would be less of an issue but he's probably a corner guy if that.

It sucks because I like him as a player to watch but barring some drastic change 2023 kinda feels like his peak potential. Oh and if people are wondering what I think he can kinda be... take a look at Trevor Story. They feel like similar hitters though Story is better defensively.
Morel should absolutely be traded while he has value. Offensively he's bound to bottom out like baez did but he has no defensive value like baez did

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
im fine with not getting glasnow. super talented but his career high in innings pitched is like 120...not great for a starter. if he stays healthy, itll be a hell of a trade for the dodgers no doubt
I mean I didn't necessarily care one way or the other about him. He inevitably isn't pitching in the playoffs. It's just funny watching hoyer continue to miss on everything he targets in the offseason. He's truly terrible

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I mean I didn't necessarily care one way or the other about him. He inevitably isn't pitching in the playoffs. It's just funny watching hoyer continue to miss on everything he targets in the offseason. He's truly terrible
for sure, Hoyer will look pretty bad if all he gets is MAYBE Belli back and some more dumpster dives like previous years.

He kinda needs to make a major trade with cleveland at this point and I imagine cleveland knows the pressure hes under and is looking to fleece him. Hoyer is now in a tricky spot due to his own inactions to this point.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
for sure, Hoyer will look pretty bad if all he gets is MAYBE Belli back and some more dumpster dives like previous years.

He kinda needs to make a major trade with cleveland at this point and I imagine cleveland knows the pressure hes under and is looking to fleece him. Hoyer is now in a tricky spot due to his own inactions to this point.
He really needs to bring in an impact bat in addition to bellinger. Running it back would be pretty disappointing. Ramirez from Cleveland would be a huge get. He's probably hoping the Mets miss on the Yamamoto and he can get Pete Alonso, but that isn't really moving the needle. Chapman is another disappointing fall back option. He needs to find a truly impact bat and at least an upside starter and really quality BP arm (not Liam hendriks in 2025)

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He really needs to bring in an impact bat in addition to bellinger. Running it back would be pretty disappointing. Ramirez from Cleveland would be a huge get. He's probably hoping the Mets miss on the Yamamoto and he can get Pete Alonso, but that isn't really moving the needle. Chapman is another disappointing fall back option. He needs to find a truly impact bat and at least an upside starter and really quality BP arm (not Liam hendriks in 2025)
Cleveland is def the idea trading partner...they have alot of assets they are supposedly looking to move that would fit so well in Chicago.

Ramirez, Naylor, Clase, and Bieber would all look good in Cubbie blue IMO and would fill all the major holes

Ramirez being a switch hitter and Naylor a solid lefty bat to plug right in the middle of the lineup

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Cleveland is def the idea trading partner...they have alot of assets they are supposedly looking to move that would fit so well in Chicago.

Ramirez, Naylor, Clase, and Bieber would all look good in Cubbie blue IMO and would fill all the major holes

Ramirez being a switch hitter and Naylor a solid lefty bat to plug right in the middle of the lineup
Ramirez, Naylor, pca, bellinger would add a sorely needed LH presence to the lineup. Although to get Ramirez and Naylor, maybe you come off pca and bring bellinger back in cf.

Horton is untouchable for me though.