Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Given how little the Cubs are spending on Imanaga, I think they could possibly still trade for either Bieber or an outside chance at Cease.

I guess the real question is of the remaining FA pitchers, is anyone other than Snell or Montgomery a #2 or #1 if you consider Snell a #1?

Outside chance. I feel that Wicks is the #5 going into S/T and his to lose. Jed invested a first round pick into him and I expect a opportunity. Now later season I could see a innings limit on him and seeing him going to middle relief to limit his innings. Then we may see Brown or a outside chance Horton gets a debut.

Given Jed spent on a SP I believe he is done on that front. It will be interesting on the next play. Tom is going to want more than a untested lefty going into the Convention.

I do believe that Bellinger is the play that most want. But I feel that targeting Chapman and Hoskins on shorter deals is smarter money. I'm pretty sure that Jed is doing shorter type signings to allow the farm to produce cheaper options vs road blocking it

Last edited:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I like the signing. Gives us immediate innings and someone that gets a great K to BB rate. He actually is a junk pitcher that uses his fastball as the off speed pitch. His fastball also seems to have a record amount of movement and has great miss potential, hence his high K rates.

He should pencil in after Steele and pushing everyone else down. He projects as a 2-3 so this works for this team. But I can't impress this enough, he has been healthy and an innings eater, this helps the starters and the bullpen a ton. HE also pitched in a homer friendly park so his homer rate seems inflated because of that.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Given how little the Cubs are spending on Imanaga, I think they could possibly still trade for either Bieber or an outside chance at Cease.

I guess the real question is of the remaining FA pitchers, is anyone other than Snell or Montgomery a #2 or #1 if you consider Snell a #1?
I strongly doubt they are adding more starters. They already have a ton of depth with guys like Assad/Wicks and others and that's before you start talking about guys like Horton. I get the argument that you may want proven talent but those arms need a slot which they really don't have atm if you add another vet.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I strongly doubt they are adding more starters. They already have a ton of depth with guys like Assad/Wicks and others and that's before you start talking about guys like Horton. I get the argument that you may want proven talent but those arms need a slot which they really don't have atm if you add another vet.

The smart play for Jed is to let Wicks get 100 innings in then move him to the pen. After it really depends if Horton or Brown is ready. They have Assad in hand so that is the fall back option as he has been successful as a starter.

This sets up 2025 when Hendricks goes to F/A.

Hendricks 2025 F/A
Smyly opt 2025, Expect it dropped.
Imanaga opt 2026
Taillon F/A 2027
Steele F/A 2028

So there is a starter getting dropped every year. Imanaga give Jed some cushion as Brown is not a sure thing as Horton seems to be.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good Lord, enough with the fucking starters. They have Hoyer's Dumpster Dive bullpen which is one of the worst in baseball and they just hired a manager with one of the quickest hooks in the game. Trouble is when he looks down there, he won't see the Brewer pen to go to. Adding the new guy is fine, but there are more important holes to fill on this staff.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I like the signing. Gives us immediate innings and someone that gets a great K to BB rate. He actually is a junk pitcher that uses his fastball as the off speed pitch. His fastball also seems to have a record amount of movement and has great miss potential, hence his high K rates.

He should pencil in after Steele and pushing everyone else down. He projects as a 2-3 so this works for this team. But I can't impress this enough, he has been healthy and an innings eater, this helps the starters and the bullpen a ton. HE also pitched in a homer friendly park so his homer rate seems inflated because of that.
everything ive read projects him more as a 4/5 starter, but tis a solid signing nonetheless.

can forget cease and bieber and others now, though

CSF77

Liked Posts:
everything ive read projects him more as a 4/5 starter, but tis a solid signing nonetheless.

can forget cease and bieber and others now, though

I see Hendricks and Taillon used to split up the lefties. I wouldn't get into it too much. It will end up this starter throws hard. Next guy is finesse follow up with another hard thrower etc

I don't see Wicks and Imanaga going back to back as both are off speed lefties. About it.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I don't see us going after another starter, this is where our farm is the deepest. I don't think it is a coincidence that SHota was given just a two year deal. Jed intends to use the farm.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't see us going after another starter, this is where our farm is the deepest. I don't think it is a coincidence that SHota was given just a two year deal. Jed intends to use the farm.

I would think that Jed follows with short term position players. If he can get Hoskins on a 1 plus a opt with Chapman on a 3 year deal that could be next.

Boras has been holding up things with Bellinger but that is no reason to not target the short term players.

I am curious to see Mervis and PCA in starter roles with Morel as the swing man giving days off.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I would think that Jed follows with short term position players. If he can get Hoskins on a 1 plus a opt with Chapman on a 3 year deal that could be next.

Boras has been holding up things with Bellinger but that is no reason to not target the short term players.

I am curious to see Mervis and PCA in starter roles with Morel as the swing man giving days off.
Would work for me

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Hoskins doesnt move the needle at all for me...aging injured guy that has made a career off power hitting while his bat is likely slowing down...just doesnt spell success to me

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hoskins doesnt move the needle at all for me...aging injured guy that has made a career off power hitting while his bat is likely slowing down...just doesnt spell success to me
If the price is right on a one year deal....why not? Look at the other shit he brought in here....Hosmer, Mancini, Higgins. He's gotta be better than that crap.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If the price is right on a one year deal....why not? Look at the other shit he brought in here....Hosmer, Mancini, Higgins. He's gotta be better than that crap.
you would certainly hope so. thats just such a low bar to clear lol

Josh Naylor is the guy id try to target in a trade to play 1B

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Our team was 6th in OBP last year but very low in slugging. It makes sense to get Hoskins and Belly and Chapman. You add more OBP and drastically increase slugging. We end up hitting more homers and adding more guys on base.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you would certainly hope so. thats just such a low bar to clear lol

Josh Naylor is the guy id try to target in a trade to play 1B
For sure, but that will cost some prospects and he'll be looking for an extension $$$. Besides, if they bring back Belly why do they need him? He's kind of the same guy.....left bat, 1B/OF. The few times I saw him play, he looked no better than average defending either spot. To me it would depend on Bellinger.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
For sure, but that will cost some prospects and he'll be looking for an extension $$$. Besides, if they bring back Belly why do they need him? He's kind of the same guy.....left bat, 1B/OF. The few times I saw him play, he looked no better than average defending either spot. To me it would depend on Bellinger.
he should cost less than Belli while providing similar production while likely not as big of a risk as belli is for that production. Hes younger as well. Not sure what the trade machine says as far as Naylors trade value to know what level of prospects itd take.

I just dont trust that Belli wont revert back to the 2 years prior to this one tbh...would not give him a long term deal, but thats just me

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he should cost less than Belli while providing similar production while likely not as big of a risk as belli is for that production. Hes younger as well. Not sure what the trade machine says as far as Naylors trade value to know what level of prospects itd take.

I just dont trust that Belli wont revert back to the 2 years prior to this one tbh...would not give him a long term deal, but thats just me
Ok, gotcha. I wanted Hoskins along WITH Bellinger....not as a singleton. Lot's of options at 1B and DH with both and factor PCA into the equation...you get even more.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

The trade machine probably says wisdom should do it. I'm still waiting on Morel for Soto to come through

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think Hoskins on a one year prove it deal is fine if he is like your third tier piece after the pitcher and presumably Bellinger. 13.5% career walk rate and power at 1B when your options are eh there. Obviously would depend on price but as like a 5 hitter... not a terrible choice. Cubs have a lot of contact especially if madrigal plays but really not much power. Belli and Suzuki were the only hitters with qualified PAs who had a iso over .200. Happ and Dansby *kinda* ok and Morel is a lot of power but other questions.

Wisdom is big power but Hoskins seems like a straight upgrade overall.