Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Busch put up 32HR and 27 the last two years at AA-AAA for the Dodgers. Left handed bat that plays 3B and 1B.

This might end up as a decent trade going forward.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I like Busch a lot but the price was so steep. Cubs must believe he's huge

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I strongly doubt they are adding more starters. They already have a ton of depth with guys like Assad/Wicks and others and that's before you start talking about guys like Horton. I get the argument that you may want proven talent but those arms need a slot which they really don't have atm if you add another vet.

The idea of adding another starter would include packaging Wicks and others for someone such as Cease or Luzardo or Garret from Miami. Any of those 3 would cost multiple top 10 Cubs prospects but Cease or Luzardo have 2 and 3 years of control respectively and are at least #2 level pitchers while Garret is probably seen more as another 3/4 guy but he has 5 years of control. The Marlins are reported as wanting to get a SS prospect back so a possible deal for Garret could be Wicks, Morel, Mervis, and Rojas. I think I'd personally rather have Cease for a package of Wicks, Alcantara, Wesneski, and Wisdom though swapping Mervis for Wisdom might be more prudent given the Busch addition and then hopefully Wesneski out and Adrian Santana in.

Any of those moves would add another surer starter while clearing up some log jams for 8M or less. At that point, bringing back Bellinger is still very possible budget wise and the team is read to move forward.

Regardless of additions, I think the Busch trade signals Mervis is probably gone and Wisdom probably should be.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
At this point, I think you need to sign Bellinger and Hoskins. Chapman doesn't do anything for me. Signing both allows PCA to marinate at AAA while Bellinger plays CF, and Hoskins and Busch split time between 1B and DH.

Matt Moore and Robert Stephenson should be bullpen targets

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The 2024 international signing period has officially begun. Young players from countries like the Dominican Republic, Venezuela and others often agree to deals years before they become official, but today is the day when pen can be put to paper. Each club has a fixed spending pool which they can use to give bonuses to players they sign from now until December 15. The lower-revenue clubs get larger pools and clubs sacrifice pool space by signing free agents that have rejected qualifying offers, while pool money can also be traded. Ben Badler of Baseball America is tracking each club’s pool space and the players they have agreements with.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Chicago Cubs ($5,152,200)
Fernando Cruz, SS, Dominican Republic (Read more about Cruz here)
Robin Ortiz, OF, Dominican Republic
Yander Maria, RHP, Dominican Republic (Potential breakout prospect)
Diego Gonzalez, C, Venezuela
Frailin Alejo, RHP, Dominican Republic
Juan Monso, SS, Dominican Republic
Ezequiel Peña, SS, Dominican Republic
Enyel Rosario, SS, Dominican Republic
Edgardo de Leon, SS, Dominican Republic
Julian Duran, RHP, Dominican Republic

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Saw a bit from Brennan Davis expected to be 100% this year after back surgery.

It got me thinking, why has Jed kept him on the 40 man when there are 2 prospects who have gotten some MLB time and 2 more ahead of him.

His trade value is nil so dropping him off is pretty low risk

So in view of this could he be in the plans still? Or just forgotten?

Now if Jed is thinking of using Alcantara, Canario and Caissie as trade chips then that leaves Davis.

Now if he comes back healthy and gets back to his previous levels then he becomes a solid CF platoon partner for Crow-Armstrong early into their career. Also he becomes a decent 4th OF as his bat has upside.

Just some thoughts on a guy that could be a dark horse this year. It has happened with guys in the past. Injury makes them forgotten and they come back stronger after.

Not unheard of. Amaya was in his boat not long ago. Finally got healthy and is living up to his potential after the hype train moved on

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs, Red Sox Have Shown Reported Interest In Ryne Stanek

By Anthony Franco | January 25, 2024 at 9:28pm CDT

The Cubs and Red Sox are among the teams that have shown interest in reliever Ryne Stanek, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today (X link). MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand also tied the right-hander to the Mets earlier this week.
Stanek, 32, profiles as a rebound candidate. He’s coming off a pedestrian season with the Astros. Over 50 2/3 innings, he turned in a 4.09 ERA with a league average 23.9% strikeout percentage. He issued walks at a slightly elevated 9.9% clip and surrendered 1.42 home runs per nine innings.
That platform showing paints Stanek as a fairly nondescript middle reliever. There’s more intrigue in both his pre-2023 performance and his velocity. He’d turned in a brilliant 1.15 ERA over 54 2/3 frames two seasons ago. While it’d have never been reasonable to expect him to maintain that kind of run prevention, Stanek’s overall production between 2018-22 was strong. Over that five-year span, he managed a 3.16 ERA while punching out more than 28% of opponents between the Rays, Marlins and Astros.
There’s reason to believe Stanek can recapture that form. The 6’4″ hurler remains one of the hardest throwers in the game. His fastball sat above 98 MPH last year, as it has for the bulk of his career. While that didn’t result in his customary strikeout tally, he still remained tough to hit on a pitch-for-pitch basis. Stanek induced a swinging strike on 14.7% of his offerings, placing him among the top 50 relievers in MLB (minimum 30 innings) in that regard.
Stanek’s age and mid-level results last season should limit him to a two-year deal at most. That’s part of the appeal for both Chicago and Boston. The Cubs haven’t been keen on significant bullpen investments in recent years. As shown on MLBTR’s Contract Tracker, Chicago hasn’t signed a single reliever to a multi-year contract since their three-year deal with Craig Kimbrel halfway through the 2019 season. President of baseball operations Jed Hoyer recently spoke generally about the risk in investing heavily in the bullpen because of the volatility associated with many relievers.
Boston hasn’t been as averse to spending on the relief crops, although new chief baseball officer Craig Breslow comes over from the Cubs front office. The Sox are seemingly working with financial limitations at this point of the winter. A deal for Stanek shouldn’t be prohibitive for either team.
The Cubs arguably need to add to the relief corps more than the Sox do. Chicago’s bullpen is led by Adbert Alzolay, Julian Merryweather and Mark Leiter Jr. While the group turned in roughly average results last season, it’s a potential weak point on an otherwise well-rounded roster. Boston has a pair of effective veterans at the back end in Kenley Jansen and Chris Martin, while John Schreiber joins Rule 5 pick Justin Slaten and a handful of starter/reliever hybrids as options for the middle innings. Jansen has been the subject of recent trade speculation (as has Martin to a lesser extent), but there’s no indication Boston is on the verge of a deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This would be a Jed type of signing. He has picked up guys off down years and they rebound to plus value. I'm down if Jed gets him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Very jed-like. Dumpster diving instead of making impact additions

Arretta was one of these deals. The guy they traded was a reclaim project. I don't recall atm.

The 2 worst deals that Jed made was Heyward and Jackson. Both were head scratcher type deals. The rest of them gave some value in return.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is the thing. The Cubs don't need to make a splash move this year.

The best player on the market is Cody. The Cubs have a CF and a 1B now. So you are paying premium on a guy that offers flex. It makes no sense unless you decide to use PCA to front a mega level trade.

Lets say hypothetically SD needs to drop payroll and gets Manny Machado to drop his no trade. Cubs move PCA, Brown, Mervis and Alcantara.

Then Jed resigns Cody.

Pads move Jake Cronenworth back to 2B then start Mervis at 1B, Kim goes over to 3B or Xander. Depends on the best D. Merrill will be in AAA and he is #9 on the top 100 as a SS for the Pads. So this would be a precursor.

Cubs would have

Hoerner 2B
Happ LF
Machado 3B
Bellinger CF
Suzuki RF
Swanson SS
Busch 1B
Morel DH
Gomes C

That would be a splash type move that benefits both teams as SD is needing a CF like that to run petco and gives them payroll relief.

It is hypothetical as Manny would have to green light it. But that is a deal that makes the Cubs a contender going forward.

I get it on thinking that the Cubs are a big market joke. I just feel that the Ricketts don't have the resources to keep up with LAD or the NY teams. So they have to work with in a budget.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs Sign Hector Neris

By Mark Polishuk | January 27, 2024 at 9:22am CDT

The Cubs have signed right-hander Hector Neris to a one-year, $9MM contract, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports (via X). There is a $9MM club option attached for the 2025 season, and that vests into a player option if Neris makes at least 60 appearances this season. Between that option and additional incentive bonuses, the deal could be worth as much as $23.25 over the two seasons. Neris is represented by Octagon.
Best known for his time as the Phillies’ closer, Neris has spent the last two seasons in Houston, and is coming off (technically) the best year of his decade-long Major League career. Neris posted a 1.71 ERA over 68 1/3 innings out of the Astros’ bullpen, with an excellent 28.2% strikeout rate and some of the best soft-contact numbers of any pitcher in baseball.
HectorNeris-Vertical-230x300.jpgThere were a few red flags, however, which is likely why the righty landed what is officially just a one-year guarantee. Neris’ fastball velocity dropped to 93mph in 2023, rather markedly down from the 94.3mph average of his first nine seasons. He also had an 11.4% walk rate, marking the third time in the last four seasons that Neris’ walk rate has sat within the bottom 23rd percentile of all pitches. With a tiny .219 BABIP and a big 90.5% strand rate also aiding his efforts, Neris’ 3.89 SIERA was over two runs higher than his real-world ERA.
It’s fair to assume that some regression is in order, and these troubling secondary metrics aren’t exactly a great sign for a pitcher who turns 35 in June. However, even if Neris’ 2024 ERA is closer to that 3.89 figure, he still figures to bring value to Chicago’s relief corps in terms of both results and durability. Neris has a league-best 307 appearances since the start of the 2019 season, and a stint on the COVID-related injury list in 2020 marks the only time Neris has ever appeared on the IL during his big league career.
This kind of durability holds particular appeal for a Cubs team that was hit hard with bullpen injuries down the stretch, which contributed to Chicago’s 12-16 record in September and subsequent near-miss of a wild card berth. The Cubs were naturally known to be looking for relief help, though president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer has traditionally been wary about committing big money to the pen given the year-to-year volatility of many relievers.
In that sense, Neris’ contract represents more aggression even if it remains a one-year deal, considering that the Cubs haven’t gone beyond $5MM on a relief pitcher since signing Craig Kimbrel in June 2019. Should Neris eat his usual amount of innings, hitting the 60-appearance threshold shouldn’t be too much of an issue, and thus he would top the two-year, $15MM deal that MLBTR projected for the reliever at the start of the offseason. Neris ranked 46th on our list of the winter’s top 50 free agents.
Neris has a similar clause in his previous deal, a two-year/$17MM pact signed with Houston in the 2021-22 offseason. The Astros held an $8.5MM club option ($1MM buyout) on Neris for 2024 that vested into a player option if Neris both passed a physical after the 2023 campaign, and if he made at least 110 appearances over the course of the two seasons. Neris ended pitching in 141 games, and then opted to decline his player option to re-enter the market in search of a richer deal.
Adbert Alzolay blossomed as the Cubs’ closer in 2023, and Neris will now step right in as Wrigleyville’s top setup option. Neris joins Yency Almonte as newcomers in the relief corps, and it can’t be assumed that the Cubs are now done with their bullpen shopping. Adding another veteran on at least a minor league deal seems like a possibility, and if Neris represents a bit of a splashy spend, perhaps Chicago could look for another reliever on a guaranteed deal within that sub-$5MM comfort zone.
The Cubs’ payroll now sits at roughly $196.3MM, and there’s still plenty of room to go before Chicago hits the $237MM luxury tax threshold. A big-ticket signing like Cody Bellinger could naturally absorb a lot of that remaining space, but there’s still plenty of flexibility for Hoyer during what has been a pretty quiet winter overall for the Cubs. The Shohei Ohtani pursuit carried a lot of the team’s attention in the offseason’s first month, though the Cubs have since added Shota Imanaga and Neris in free agency, while also adding Almonte and Michael Busch in a trade with the Dodgers.
The Astros, Cardinals, Mets, Rangers, and Yankees were all linked to Neris at various points this offseason. Earlier this month, it seemed as if the Rangers and Yankees were looking like the favorites to sign the right-hander, but Chicago ended up emerging to win the bidding.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs, Carl Edwards Jr. Agree To Minor League Deal

By Anthony Franco | January 26, 2024 at 6:47pm CDT

The Cubs are bringing back free agent reliever Carl Edwards Jr. on a minor league contract, reports Robert Murray of FanSided (X link). He’ll be in MLB camp as a non-roster invitee.
Edwards returns to the organization with which he made his MLB debut in 2015. The former Rangers draftee was dealt to Chicago as a prospect in the 2013 deadline swap sending Matt Garza to Arlington. Edwards moved to the bullpen by the time he got to the big leagues.
The lanky right-hander opened his MLB career with a few solid seasons on the North Side. While he only made five appearances in 2015, he pitched to a 3.75 ERA over 36 outings the following year. Edwards collected a World Series ring as part of the curse-breaking championship club. He continued pitching well over the next couple seasons, posting a sub-3.00 ERA in consecutive years from 2017-18.
Edwards struggled early in the 2019 campaign. That kicked off a nomadic stretch of his career. Chicago dealt him to the Padres at the deadline. He landed with the Mariners briefly in 2020 and made cameos with the Braves and Blue Jays the next season. A minor league deal with the Nationals during the lockout set the stage for Edwards’ best work in a few years.
He made the MLB roster by the middle of May. He pitched well enough to hold that spot all season, eventually logging 62 innings with a 2.76 ERA. The Nats tendered him a $2.25MM contract for his last year of arbitration. He was reasonably effective when healthy but limited to 32 appearances. Edwards had worked to a 3.67 ERA across 31 2/3 frames despite a subpar 16.9% strikeout rate and an alarming 12% walk percentage. Those peripherals likely would’ve muted trade interest at the deadline regardless, but a late June diagnosis of shoulder inflammation took a trade firmly off the table.
Edwards would spend the rest of the season on the injured list. He attempted to rehab in August but was diagnosed with a stress fracture after feeling continued shoulder soreness. He surpassed six years of MLB service and hit free agency at season’s end.
With the injury cutting short his ’23 campaign, he’ll now have to work his way back to an MLB roster. His fastball velocity was down slightly last season. The heater sat at 93.5 MPH on average, a little below his typical 94-95 MPH range. It’s possible he regains an extra tick or two if he’s able to put the shoulder pain behind him.
The Cubs had a league average relief group in 2023. Adbert Alzolay, Julian Merryweather and Mark Leiter Jr. are locked into season-opening roles, while lefty Drew Smyly seems ticketed for long relief after struggling as a starter last year.
Chicago recently acquired the out-of-options Yency Almonte from the Dodgers, suggesting he’ll secure an Opening Day spot. Pending further acquisitions, that leaves two or three jobs up for grabs among the likes of José Cuas, Daniel Palencia, Keegan Thompson and swing types like Hayden Wesneski and Javier Assad. Edwards joins Colten Brewer as non-roster veterans in camp.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Neris is a decent signing

He won’t have the gaudy looking ERA he did last year, that was due to some fortunate circumstances he ended up there. But, he is durable and has pitched in high leverage situations

My hope is that being a splitter ball pitcher means a lot of ground balls for Swanson and Hoerner to gobble up

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Neris is a decent signing

He won’t have the gaudy looking ERA he did last year, that was due to some fortunate circumstances he ended up there. But, he is durable and has pitched in high leverage situations

My hope is that being a splitter ball pitcher means a lot of ground balls for Swanson and Hoerner to gobble up
He's gotta be better than the shit show we saw down the stretch last year.

Edwards? More of Hoyer digging in that dumpster....I'm surprised he didn't grab Garza in there as well.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He's gotta be better than the shit show we saw down the stretch last year.

Edwards? More of Hoyer digging in that dumpster....I'm surprised he didn't grab Garza in there as well.
I was shocked to see the minor league deal for edwards. Forgot he was even in the league still

At this point, they need to find a bat somewhere. Preferably left handed. I know everyone will say Belli, but I’m hesitant there. I’d look into the trade market if I was Jed