Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was shocked to see the minor league deal for edwards. Forgot he was even in the league still

At this point, they need to find a bat somewhere. Preferably left handed. I know everyone will say Belli, but I’m hesitant there. I’d look into the trade market if I was Jed
I'm still sold on Bellinger.....sure, it's possible he goes south but it's also possible whoever he would trade for could be a bust as well. One thing that Hoyer has done well is build the system back up....if it's me, I'm not willing to move young talent for back of their career players. If the Cubs were like the Braves or Dodgers....then yeah, sure....make a trade. The Cubs are still climbing the mountain. Bellinger only costs you money....a lot of money....but no assets.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm still sold on Bellinger.....sure, it's possible he goes south but it's also possible whoever he would trade for could be a bust as well. One thing that Hoyer has done well is build the system back up....if it's me, I'm not willing to move young talent for back of their career players. If the Cubs were like the Braves or Dodgers....then yeah, sure....make a trade. The Cubs are still climbing the mountain. Bellinger only costs you money....a lot of money....but no assets.
There’s just a lot of depth in the farm. Surplus of OF’s currently. With Happ, Suzuki, and PCA looking like OF locks for the next 2-3 years, I’d look to trade some of that OF talent for a 3B/1B/DH guy

Also, just so we keep @CSF77 calm…OF = outfield, not OnlyFans

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There’s just a lot of depth in the farm. Surplus of OF’s currently. With Happ, Suzuki, and PCA looking like OF locks for the next 2-3 years, I’d look to trade some of that OF talent for a 3B/1B/DH guy

Also, just so we keep @CSF77 calm…OF = outfield, not OnlyFans
That is funny

I'm happy with both TBH. One is a solid set up. The other is a depth piece that can back fill for injury and is not green and untested

I want to hold back a bit on saying that they need a bat. They have talent pending and I get a rental or a mega trade that sends depth for a hitter that changes team dynamic.

What they need is a 3B. Busch has 1B labeled. Morel is a hack out there. Madgral is injury prone and a slap hitter

That leaves
current.jpg

Luis Vazquez​

Now if he is given the opportunity I have a good feeling about his potential going forward.

Now here is the issue with adding a LH bat not named Bellinger. Jed could have done this with resigning Joc. He was not involved in the bidding

So I'm pretty sure that it will be Bellinger and leave PCA in Iowa for the year to finalize his development.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do believe 1B and 3B will end up as a competition. 3B has no heir and Luis could just jump in there with his plus range glove and arm. His bat came around last year after lowering his hands. He was keeping them up and tight causing his swing path to level. After maturing (24) and adjustment his slg went up and hit 20 HR at Iowa

I find this as desirable traits for 3B this year

1B is Busch's. Mervis would have to wreck Arizona and Busch would have a major set back or injury to change this

So as far as Bellinger is concerned I believe he is signed because of the impact he brought to the team. They will find playing time when PCA promotes. I trust Counsel to optimize it better than Ross did.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do believe 1B and 3B will end up as a competition. 3B has no heir and Luis could just jump in there with his plus range glove and arm. His bat came around last year after lowering his hands. He was keeping them up and tight causing his swing path to level. After maturing (24) and adjustment his slg went up and hit 20 HR at Iowa

I find this as desirable traits for 3B this year

1B is Busch's. Mervis would have to wreck Arizona and Busch would have a major set back or injury to change this

So as far as Bellinger is concerned I believe he is signed because of the impact he brought to the team. They will find playing time when PCA promotes. I trust Counsel to optimize it better than Ross did.
Good Lord.....Busch has played a grand total of 18 games at 1B in his entire career. Like 250 at second, which is already occupied by a GGer and 74 at 3B which is where he should be. Probably mix and match with Madrigal providing he shows something with the bat. Putting him at first weakens the entire infield defense. He's not a good defender anywhere you put him, either DH him or hide him at 3B.....having him play 1B is Dumb, dumb, dumb.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Good Lord.....Busch has played a grand total of 18 games at 1B in his entire career. Like 250 at second, which is already occupied by a GGer and 74 at 3B which is where he should be. Probably mix and match with Madrigal providing he shows something with the bat. Putting him at first weakens the entire infield defense. He's not a good defender anywhere you put him, either DH him or hide him at 3B.....having him play 1B is Dumb, dumb, dumb.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jed said that he sees him as a 1B. Most feel that he is not a 3B at the MLB level.

Mad put up a 11 outs above avg last year in limited action. He is far better as a 3B than I would have ever expected.

Put him on roids and let him take the suspension. Change his swing path while you are at it.

But in all seriousness I feel that Luis could be a GG level player with providing better O than Nick.

At 1B it should be Busch and Wisdom in a platoon. But Mervis is still in the mix and if he adjusts he could cause a shift in their thinking.

But Jed is under 200M ATM. Tax is at 237M. So I feel that is about the years vs the AAV with Boar's Ass and Cody. I think Cody wants 200M+ and I'm pretty sure that Jed would want 180M. So there is some potential that it gets done. But it causes more issues in playing time.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cody 28 this year. I feel that 36 is when he becomes a 1B or a corner OF. I believe that a 8 year deal is reasonable. 8/200 (25 AAV) call it a day.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Cody 28 this year. I feel that 36 is when he becomes a 1B or a corner OF. I believe that a 8 year deal is reasonable. 8/200 (25 AAV) call it a day.
No thanks! Why bid against yourself?!

Offer 4 years 100 mil(still gets his 25 AAV) and call it a day

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No thanks! Why bid against yourself?!

Offer 4 years 100 mil(still gets his 25 AAV) and call it a day

Hmmm because he wont sign for that.

My opinion is go for long term or don't go at all. In 6 months we are looking at:

LF Happ
CF PCA (#16 ranked)
RF Suzuki
3B Shaw (#54 ranked)
SS Swanson
2B Hoerner
1B Busch (#51 ranked)
C Gomes
DH Caissie (#47 ranked)

Cubs have 7 in the top 100 right now and are now the #1 farm system in baseball. Buying a short term on Cody makes little sense. long term is a feel good story for the fans and a stabilizer that opens up trade chips.

But as listed above the Cubs can do nothing and just follow the O's path to success and show faith in the farm.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

My opinion is go for long term or don't go at all. In 6 months we are looking at:

LF Happ
CF PCA (#16 ranked)
RF Suzuki
3B Shaw (#54 ranked)
SS Swanson
2B Hoerner
1B Busch (#51 ranked)
C Gomes
DH Caissie (#47 ranked)

Cubs have 7 in the top 100 right now and are now the #1 farm system in baseball. Buying a short term on Cody makes little sense. long term is a feel good story for the fans and a stabilizer that opens up trade chips.

But as listed above the Cubs can do nothing and just follow the O's path to success and show faith in the farm.
The deep farm system is all the more reason to shorten the deal

He won’t sign it you say?? So he’d rather not play baseball in 2024?? Cmon, be smarter and better than that. Right now Cody doesn’t have any suitors other than the cubs…that’s why I said don’t bid against yourself. Cubs have the leverage, not Cody

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The deep farm system is all the more reason to shorten the deal

He won’t sign it you say?? So he’d rather not play baseball in 2024?? Cmon, be smarter and better than that. Right now Cody doesn’t have any suitors other than the cubs…that’s why I said don’t bid against yourself. Cubs have the leverage, not Cody

Boras has his own training site and in the past his players have sat out until the Q offer drops then teams look at a mid season add.

Not unique

Long term = you are freeing up trade chips and don't want to be totally dependant on the farm.

So here is what I feel about it. They have 37M to burn this year and Hendricks drops off. Horton should add

So a smart GM would look to lock up the future and get a few years of control. It was the one the Sox did right. Det is now doing this and it is a smart play with your next wave.

After that I would have short term filler types. Like Mad at 3B and Tauchman at CF. Let PCA and Shaw develop.

At that point if season ticket sales are down give them a cookie. Like sign Bellinger. At that point you are looking to have a 2 year opt out to free up payroll but give Boras what he wants. The shit market plus him getting F/A at 30 is not a bad play for him.

If he matches a opt in then you want to retain. If he surpasses then he would want to get more. Cubs have done this in the past.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Actually the guy that I'm concerned with is Morel. Too low on contact rate. I don't care if he can heave 100MPH and jack 40. If he hits below .280 he falls into Baez with no glove.

Why I did not add him. I would rather have boring players that are fundamentally sound baseball players vs a firecracker that goes off every few weeks then provide negative value.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I think the best case scenario for Bellinger and the Cubs is a potential long term deal that has many opt outs for both sides. Essential is the deal is 12Y288M for a 24M AAV. Bellinger gets opt outs after years 1, 4, and 7. While the Cubs get buy outs for 10M extra at years 2, 5, and 8. Set the pay out structure at 30/28/26/26/26/26/26/20/20/20/20/20. That gives both sides lots of flexibility and stability.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the best case scenario for Bellinger and the Cubs is a potential long term deal that has many opt outs for both sides. Essential is the deal is 12Y288M for a 24M AAV. Bellinger gets opt outs after years 1, 4, and 7. While the Cubs get buy outs for 10M extra at years 2, 5, and 8. Set the pay out structure at 30/28/26/26/26/26/26/20/20/20/20/20. That gives both sides lots of flexibility and stability.

I would want a mutual after 2. After that no trade rights. That way either side can say yes or no. As far as lock in. I wouldn't.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs, Richard Lovelady Agree To Deal

By Anthony Franco | January 29, 2024 at 11:51pm CDT

Free agent reliever Richard Lovelady is signing with the Cubs, as announced by Driveline Baseball (on X). Lovelady confirmed the news on his own X account. It’s presumably a minor league contract with a Spring Training invitation. Chicago also agreed to a minor league deal with right-hander Sam McWilliams this afternoon, reports Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic (X link).
Lovelady, a 28-year-old southpaw, has pitched in parts of four MLB campaigns. A former 10th-round pick of the Royals, he debuted with Kansas City in 2019. Lovelady struggled in 26 appearances between 2019-20 before an impressive small-sample showing in ’21. He worked to a 3.48 ERA over 20 2/3 innings that year. Lovelady punched out an above-average 27.2% of opponents while running an excellent 56.6% grounder percentage.
Unfortunately, his time in K.C. was cut short by injury. A UCL sprain in his throwing elbow was a precursor to Tommy John surgery. He spent the following season rehabbing and was traded to the Braves in Spring Training last year. Lovelady never made an MLB appearance with Atlanta, who tried to sneak him through waivers in mid-April. The A’s stepped in to make a claim.
Oakland manager Mark Kotsay called on Lovelady 27 times. The Kennesaw State product allowed 4.63 earned runs per nine. He punched out a quarter of opponents with a 47.5% ground-ball rate. Those are reasonable peripherals but down from the numbers he showed in 2021. His average fastball speed was down to roughly 91 MPH after sitting in the 93 MPH range before the surgery. There wasn’t as dramatic a dip in his slider velocity, which was only marginally down from 86.6 to 85.9 MPH.
Injuries again ended Lovelady’s season and, ultimately, his tenure with the organization. He was shut down around the All-Star Break after being diagnosed with a pronator strain in his forearm. Lovelady finished the year on the injured list. Oakland waived him at season’s end and he became a minor league free agent.
Driveline included video of Lovelady throwing a recent bullpen session at their training facility. That’s a positive indicator for his arm health and seems to suggest he’ll be ready for game action this spring. Chicago is very light on left-handed bullpen options. Drew Smyly is likely pushed into relief after struggling as a starter. Luke Little and Bailey Horn, neither of whom have much MLB experience, are the only other lefty relievers on the 40-man roster.
McWilliams, 28, has spent time on the 40-man rosters of the Mets and Padres in his career. He has yet to make his major league debut. Sky-high walk rates in the upper minors kept him from getting a look in the majors. The 6’7″ hurler sat out last season before a return in the Mexican winter league this year. Over 25 1/3 frames there, he owns a 3.55 ERA with a 28.4% strikeout rate but a 13.7% walk percentage.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:

LF Happ
CF PCA (#16 ranked)
RF Suzuki
3B Shaw (#54 ranked)
SS Swanson
2B Hoerner
1B Busch (#51 ranked)
C Gomes
DH Caissie (#47 ranked)

Having a highly ranked farm system does not guaranty that we really have legit major league starters in the pipeline. We hope we do, but can we really bank on it?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Having a highly ranked farm system does not guaranty that we really have legit major league starters in the pipeline. We hope we do, but can we really bank on it?

Hard to say. If you have 7 guys upwelling you can expect 1-2 to be at all star level and others to be service levels

And you have to look at floors. PCA is GG with speed. Even if he struggles there is nothing wrong with a bunt or a slap single approach while adapting to what they are doing to him.

I think that we are used to a poor system after Theo cashed out the last build up. Jed seems to be better at building a system and is not cashing out.

I think it is better to let it play out vs block or let other teams reap your efforts

Det closer. Cubs cast off

TB 3B. Cubs cast off

There have been many more that Theo and Jed dropped and they became all star level talent

So is the Cubs way of development broken? No. If anything they need to keep more faithful to it.

Last edited: