Cole Kmet

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As I said earlier this week, I do not love Kmet, but I understand the thought process.

The Chiefs and Eagles run a lot of 2 TE sets

-Eagles over 2018 and 2019 averaged close to 50% of snaps running 2 TEs.

-The Chiefs ran 2 TEs close to 40% of the time and they did not really have a good TE2.

-The Bears ran it less than 20% over the last 2 years.

Nagy has not been able to run the offense as it is designed because of the lack of TE talent.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears need a complete TE. The Eagles and Chiefs have complete TEs and while I do not think that Kmet is ever going to have the athletic tools of Kelce, but he can do block and threaten in the passing game.

Before Kmet the Bears were always going to have a tell on offense,

-When Graham is on the field the defense knows you are passing or you are running with a liability on the field because Graham cannot block.

-When Harris is on the field the offense knows you are running the ball or you are passing with a liability on the field because Harris is not a great reciever.

Kmet is there best chance at a complete TE that does not tip the defense to what is happening.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Did anyone else notice that pace’s set up was in the living room and sparse and Nagy had a full on war room? Who’s calling the shots?

Pace obviously. Nagy looks like an idiot IMO filling the room with play call sheets all over his walls after having a year of some of the worst play calling in the entire league.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Greg Gabriel was a scout for the Bears for a decade, does he know more than any knowledgeable fan?

Of course he does. How is that even a question?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ok so I slept on it and re-evaluated.

I still hate the pick.

Can someone please tell me about another draft where TE1 succeeded with comparable college production? I can’t find any other TE1 with this little of college production, it’s crazy. Then, you see not another tight end selected for what felt like 100 picks. With all the top line talent available it felt like Pace did not let the board come to him. Kmet was the going to be the pick regardless.

I’m just not impressed. His biggest strength is getting tackled quickly.

Antonio Gates--really good power forward in college...LOL

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Guys are acting like we took Kmet in the top 1/2 of the 1st round. Wasn't my guy either but he's a fine pick.

This is where i'm at as well. I didn't mention him once over the last month or whatever when talking about the players i want at 43 and 50 but i can also use common sense in that he's the best TE in the draft and we have a huge need at TE and it's the 2nd round.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would expect a rather large dip in the snaps and targets of the #3 WR.

If we look at Philly as an example when they draft Goddert

-Goddert played 48% of offensive snaps

-He was targeted 44 times.

In 2018 when the Bears had a more stable TE situation

-No TE2 played more than 18% of snaps

-No TE was targeted more than 6 times for a total 15 targets

That likely comes out of WR3.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Last season the Bears targeted the TEs 51 times

If we look at 2018 Burton [76] and rookie Dallas Goedert [44] as rough targets for Graham and Kmet you have 110 total targets at TE.

The Bears need to find 59 targets somewhere and I do not think it will be Cohen, it is going to come from the 111 targets that the backup WRs got.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I just remember 2 years ago when Nagy first came to the Bears. He seemed to genuinely like and had plans for Shaheen. Then Shaheen got hurt in that 3rd preseason game and it was just never a thing. As others have said now, when you look at how this type of offense works in KC and PHI, they like two TE sets and being able to disguise. The Bears have not been able to do that at all so far, hopefully this helps to change that.

msadows

Liked Posts:
As I said earlier this week, I do not love Kmet, but I understand the thought process.

The Chiefs and Eagles run a lot of 2 TE sets

-Eagles over 2018 and 2019 averaged close to 50% of snaps running 2 TEs.

-The Chiefs ran 2 TEs close to 40% of the time and they did not really have a good TE2.

-The Bears ran it less than 20% over the last 2 years.

Nagy has not been able to run the offense as it is designed because of the lack of TE talent.

I posted this months ago.

We WANTED to run 2 TE sets, but shaheen being a bum forced us not to.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I mean...He's nearly 6'6 and has a 37 inch vertical

He's a physical freak. Even Mitch won't overthrow him.
That’s true. But I’m more of going off on how they play on the field. Antonio brown is as good as megatron. Look at the size difference there. For me, Kmet videos show him getting the ball lots of times with anyone defending him. Up the seam and he gets the ball untouched without anyone around him. Not much YAC. Trautman videos, his show way more hard catches and with traffic. Like I said though, I think I would have Prefered Trautman. Now that we have Kmet, as a Bears fan that has no input on who we pick, I’ll cheer him on and hope his best is enough to make a difference. If his best doesn’t, I’ll applaud him for trying and hope bears move on. No point on hating on someone who just doesn’t cut it. No everyone is made to be a superstar.

NMBearFan

Liked Posts:
I did not like the pick at first, mainly because I think we wasted money on Jimmy Graham already.

But the more I see of this kid, I like it, maybe Jimmy can teach him a thing or two as well and speed up his development, best case scenario and we are set at TE again for the first time since Greg Olsen.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I just remember 2 years ago when Nagy first came to the Bears. He seemed to genuinely like and had plans for Shaheen. Then Shaheen got hurt in that 3rd preseason game and it was just never a thing. As others have said now, when you look at how this type of offense works in KC and PHI, they like two TE sets and being able to disguise. The Bears have not been able to do that at all so far, hopefully this helps to change that.

Yeah, the smart teams are running 12 personnel to a ton of success. It's all about matchups. Defenses see 2 TE sets and they have to play for the possibility of run. If they stay in nickel, can run right at the nickel CB, where they naturally have a mismatch of a much bigger TE or a lineman coming at them to run block. If the D stays in base, you have mismatches where you likely have not 1 but 2 LBs covering a TE and a RB out of the backfield, with what is possibly a box safety covering the other TE. All 3 matchups should favor the offense.

The thing that worries me about the Bears' ability to pull this off is that A) they need to have good enough TEs to have favorable matchups. B) have to have a good enough run game to make teams bring in the extra LB instead of DB. The Bears TEs the last 2 years haven't been good enough for them to take advantage. The run game wasn't good enough to consistently get to the 2nd level. I hesitate to think they are good enough at either on paper today. The OL is obviously not much better on paper, meaning the run game doesn't appear better. While Kmet may be a solid TE one day, he's not likely to be Year 1. Graham probably won't be in Year 50 or whatever. So not sure they have the personnel to pull it off.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep. Two TE sets. AND most TEs take a few years to really settle in. Graham can hopefully teach him something.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep. Two TE sets. AND most TEs take a few years to really settle in. Graham can hopefully teach him something.
And they need all the reps they can get in the offseason...........

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
How would you rank these guys athletically?

Cole Kmet
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 262 lbs
Arm Length: 33”
Hands: 10 1/2”
40 Yard: 4.70
Vertical: 37"
Broad Jump: 123.00
3 Cone Drill: 7.44

Travis Kelce:
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 260 lbs
Arm Length: 33 3/4"
Hands: 9 3/4"
40 Yard: 4.66
Vertical: 35"
Broad Jump: N/A
3 Cone Drill: 7.12

Rob Gronkowski:
Weight: 258 lbs
Arm Length: 34 1/4
Hands: 10 3/4"
40 Yard: 4.85
Vertical: 36.5
Broad Jump: 121.00"
3 Cone Drill: N/A

Martellus Bennett
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 259 lbs
Arm Length: 35"
40 Yard: 4.75
Vertical: 34"
Broad Jump: 118.00"
3 Cone Drill: 7.64

Kyle Rudolph
Weight: 259 lbs
Arm Length: 34"
Hands: 10 3/4"
40 Yard: 4.78
Vertical: 34.5
Broad Jump: 114.00"
3 Cone Drill: 7.24

Zach Ertz:
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 249 lbs
Arm Length: 31 3/4"
40 Yard: 4.76
Vertical: 30.50"
Broad Jump: 111.00"
3 Cone Drill: 7.08

thedarkstark

Liked Posts:
Ok so I slept on it and re-evaluated.

I still hate the pick.

Can someone please tell me about another draft where TE1 succeeded with comparable college production? I can’t find any other TE1 with this little of college production, it’s crazy. Then, you see not another tight end selected for what felt like 100 picks. With all the top line talent available it felt like Pace did not let the board come to him. Kmet was the going to be the pick regardless.

I’m just not impressed. His biggest strength is getting tackled quickly.
A couple of guys are doing OK in the league right now put up similar stats in college, you might have heard of them? George Kittle and Travis Kelce? I mean they're no Adam Shaheen but they're decent.

TE's aren't utilized much in the college game, you won't see them puttting up 1000 yards or 15 tds. Receivers put up monster numbers because they run deeper routes or crossing routes on busted coverage (99% of college DBS are a joke). TEs generally stick to blocking or running comeback routes, most college QBs don't have the accuracy to throw the corner fades or back shoulder throw.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Yeah, the sheer number of TEs means nothing. They accumulated bodies just in case, but going into the draft they had 9, 8 of whom are not NFL starter quality, and the 9th is 100 years old. I hoped to address a different position at 43, but I fully understand getting a TE. The quantity on the roster shouldn't have anything to do with anything. 6 or 7 of these ten are going bye bye soon.

Lol I don’t get any of the criticism over taking a TE because who the hell could’ve named a single one outside of the newly signed graham.