Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
what do they need to get to know? Its not like counsell is dating the players...

the excuses some here give Counsell is wild...meanwhile, ross had the team performing just as well and with less talent. giving counsell 40 million to hang out in the dugout was a mistake. meanwhile, the cubs continue to be cheap with payroll outside of the manager

you pay the players, not the manager
I don't have a problem with Counsell but he's not any better than Rossy was. Another Hoyer fuck up...how many of these expensive screwups is Ricketts gonna allow?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I don't have a problem with Counsell but he's not any better than Rossy was. Another Hoyer fuck up...how many of these expensive screwups is Ricketts gonna allow?
yeah, its not anything against counsell. just silly to pay a manager that much money to do the exact same thing the vast majority of managers would do for a fraction of the cost

there just isnt any extra benefit that counsell is providing the club

CSF77

Liked Posts:
yeah, its not anything against counsell. just silly to pay a manager that much money to do the exact same thing the vast majority of managers would do for a fraction of the cost

there just isnt any extra benefit that counsell is providing the club

I agree with this. The problem is with Hoyer being frugal with the pen. It has been a trainwreck this week

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Hindsight being 20/20 Matt Chapman would have been the ideal signing that possibly would have made us a playoff team.

I don't think replacing Ross with Counsell was a bad move, managers don't count against the salary of a team so the money he is paid is meaningless to me.

If we are coming back with the same lineup next year then we need a closer and a #1 starter to push everyone else down, pitching and defense have to be top 5 in MLB. PCA looks like a budding superstar, which is what we are missing. Outside of Suzuki (above .800 OPS) the rest of the lineup are guys that are edge all-star players (sub .800 OPS guys, but above .700). This makes for an above .500 team that needs good years from most to make the playoffs.

What we can't have is 3-4 guys below .700 OPS like Hoerner and Swanson again next year. I am not sure what Shaw is capable of defensively but maybe he can compete with Paredes next year to win the 3b spot.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Hindsight being 20/20 Matt Chapman would have been the ideal signing that possibly would have made us a playoff team.

I don't think replacing Ross with Counsell was a bad move, managers don't count against the salary of a team so the money he is paid is meaningless to me.

If we are coming back with the same lineup next year then we need a closer and a #1 starter to push everyone else down, pitching and defense have to be top 5 in MLB. PCA looks like a budding superstar, which is what we are missing. Outside of Suzuki (above .800 OPS) the rest of the lineup are guys that are edge all-star players (sub .800 OPS guys, but above .700). This makes for an above .500 team that needs good years from most to make the playoffs.

What we can't have is 3-4 guys below .700 OPS like Hoerner and Swanson again next year. I am not sure what Shaw is capable of defensively but maybe he can compete with Paredes next year to win the 3b spot.
why?? so we could have 25 million per year tied up in a 32 year old third baseman for the next 6 years???

that contract will look atrocious in another year or two when he is struggling to even be on the field

these are the contracts to STAY AWAY from

CSF77

Liked Posts:
why?? so we could have 25 million per year tied up in a 32 year old third baseman for the next 6 years???

that contract will look atrocious in another year or two when he is struggling to even be on the field

Parades was the right move. Morel has been a dud post trade. Biggie hurt but he was the real chip

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It’s interesting that you say it would be amazing for me to grasp a player getting better at his craft when I specifically referred to that very thing re Amaya in the post to which you are responding.

You’re trading a guy one day and hyping him the next, depending on what opinion you happen to read that morning.

Some of us are able to be patient with young players and are able to form our own opinions on players who have been around a while.

You have Mervis a hall of famer on Monday and dfa’d by. Thursday.

You would have given up on PCA already after fewer than 300 major league plate appearances.

Amaya’s second half has been light years from his first and he’s a goner in your mind.

It never ends. You’re a wind sock!

#1. I was one of the first to share that Amaya was able to remove his leg kick and that improved his timing. That said he is not a all star level hitter or catcher. He is now not a bust.

#2. One day to the next? Most of my past comments that you are relating to were from previous seasons. As in your post #4. Any comment towards Mervis was about how great his numbers were in the minors. Even though as you conveniently omitted that there were many here on that bandwagon and I was a bit cautious as late blomers tend to fade faster. He didn't even get good enough to even stick.

So I will give you PCA. That was a fast knee jerk and I am glad that I was wrong.

Amaya is not even league avg as a catcher. So wordls apart? If you are saying league bust to good enough to not get a boot sure. None of his catcher metrics are top 1/3. They are mid point. And the bat is not game changing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If anything I have said gets through to the viewers here is Jed needs to invest into the pen. That has been siderailed by the typical troll comments to non topic issues.

I said that prior to this week's shit show by the pen. So if any want to argue against this that is fine. I can get into that as it should.be the hot topic this offseason.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So looking at 2025. Jed is on a walk year. So there could be a real push for the series. He will have something to prove to keep in the business going forward.

With that said Cody picking up or waving his opt should be the first major decision made. 27M is a huge impact on Jed's thought process.

I do believe that they are more in a minor addition situation vs a overhaul mode going in. If you stabilize the pen this year the W/L improvement most likely pushes this group into a wildcard slot.

I think that is a given. Going further is I believe out of their capabilities. That is having Shaw and a good year from Paredes comes into play.

Then you add the growth factor of PCA and Busch. With that factored in I can see a 90-95 win team if they add quality $$$ to the pen

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Locked on did a interesting piece today. Fire Jed and promote Crag to the Pres role. Bost celts did this and post that decision they have been locked in so there is a precedent of this happening.

Add to it Craig has been in the front office prior to his manager run so he knows that side of the house.

It was a interesting what if and Rickets is all ready paying him well.

I do not know if Craig would be better than Jed as a pres. But the main point made is Craig would not have this loyalty thing going on and would most likely make trades to improve the team with out personal relationships factoring in the trades

That has been Jed's short coming going back to year 1. Getting Almora and trading back for Rizzo. He allows personal relationships sway his thoughts

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

he was a one year deal and just resigned for 6 years.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
he was a one year deal and just resigned for 6 years.
No, no he was not a 1 year deal

He signed a 3 year 54 million deal and then signed the new 6 year deal mid season

That’s the kinda money you’re talking about putting into a 32 year old guy

IMG_1212.jpeg

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He signed a 3 year 54 million deal and then signed the new 6 year deal mid season

View attachment 40641
That's the thing about WAR....it's a really dumb stat and only MLB is dumb enough to make it a bargining chip. Think about it....they pay these guys millions because their replacements don't do as well they do. Their replacements for the most part are kids on their way up or a veteran on his way out. Lmao, I swear these boneheads think Bill James is a God. Chapman didn't get paid for his stats....a .240 hitter with 20 hrs and over 160 Ks. Even his great glove has lost a lot of it's luster. At least the Cub's idiot GM was smart enough not to sign him....but then again, he traded for another clown who is similar. Maybe he was just being cheap again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's the thing about WAR....it's a really dumb stat and only MLB is dumb enough to make it a bargining chip. Think about it....they pay these guys millions because their replacements don't do as well they do. Their replacements for the most part are kids on their way up or a veteran on his way out. Lmao, I swear these boneheads think Bill James is a God. Chapman didn't get paid for his stats....a .240 hitter with 20 hrs and over 160 Ks. Even his great glove has lost a lot of it's luster. At least the Cub's idiot GM was smart enough not to sign him....but then again, he traded for another clown who is similar. Maybe he was just being cheap again.

So you are saying that Jed should have stuck with Morel?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not going to argue Paredes good or bad trade. He slumped from June to Aug and that lowered his trade value to get him for Morel and Biggie. If it was the off-season last year that would not have been enough to deal for him.

Apr and May he had a .920 and a .915 OPS respectfully. It makes more sense for the team to get that back. Sept he has rebounded a bit but the slg is returning slower. Add to it he is a dead pull hitter in a smaller park like Wriggly. So that needs to be addressed going forward.

I'm not against the deal. Biggie was a big pay out from hindsight but if you have to weigh a ASG level 3B to a closer 3B holds more value as it is a more impactful spot in general.

If we are talking last off-season you are not pulling that deal with out Shaw in it.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, that's what I wanted. What a total twit. I was proposing trading Morel while you were singing his praises. He was worth something at that point. Please don't quote me unless you have something at least semi intelligent to say. Put me back on ignore....oh, yeah...you can't even use that correctly.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Agreed. When I just saw the extension, he signed, all I thought was “thank God we didn’t do that.“

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

View attachment 40641
Thanks for the clarification. So this makes my argument stronger that there wasn't really a better option than Morel, unless he were traded, which would have been for prospects and not helping us this year.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So this makes my argument stronger that there wasn't really a better option than Morel, unless he were traded, which woul dhave been for prospects and not helping us this year.
lmao no it doesnt

your argument was that chapman was the "ideal" signing the cubs could have made this past offseason

you claim it was just a 1 year deal

it is shown to you that that is not true, it was a 3 year deal and you are shown the financial ramifications as to why it would NOT have been the ideal move the cubs could have made

and now you are on about somehow this has made your argument stronger that chapman was the ideal signing?!

id suggest you take a timeout on this one to reflect lol