Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That game better have gotten Jed's attention.

4-5 HR 2 doubles. The won 12-0 and pissed on Pit's AAA team.

You can pretty much expect Smyly -> Cuas. That is expected. To get PCA everyday. And it is justified as most of the starters are at or under .200 over the last 15. PCA was hitting .273 and got demoted. Then blew up AAA.

Now with his base WAR so far in limited action it is around 1 based off of his D. So we are talking 4 WAR player based off of his CF play and the O is just gravey. But seeing that potential you have to go there.

The right move to make is to give PCA CF EVERY DAY. Move Cody to LF EVERY DAY.

This is a grab your balls move for Jed and Craig but looking at all of the factors it is no brain at this point.

Then let RF and DH go into rotation until Suzuki heats up again. Happ is starting to hit and if you weigh Happ vs Tauchman at potential Happ is the better player.

1B is another area of concern as Busch has been struggling to date. I can see Cody taking up some time to lessen the impact of Busch's struggle. But if all players are hitting below .200 you really have to factor development and D over production.

But if Tauchman is still putting up plus value then you can move to left and give Busch some DH or bench days with Cody on 1B. Give him a reset.

TBH getting some players into a reset might be the best option right now. Week off to really tune up their swings with out the distractions of playing.

Take a month get a guy out of the line up to reset then pull and replace the next guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And if they did. I would not stuff PCA at the bottom.

Hoerner 2B
PCA CF
Suzuki RF
Bellinger LF
Morel 3B
Happ DH
Swanson SS
Amaya C
Busch 1B

That way Jed can alter 1B and LF with Tauchman being the pivot. Busch really needs as reset first. His bat is needed going forward and getting him into the video room to see what they are doing. What he was doing in his HR string. That will teach him what the league adjustment was.

Then find a approach that works for him and take it to the cage and face his weaknesses. Either to program his brain to spit on or muscle memory to drive it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
One thing that I found interesting is AA and AAA don't use the same baseball. AAA uses a MLB ball AA does not. Now this was talked about with Brown struggling going up to Iowa last year and Horton went through the same thing. Different baseball and they have to adapt.

With Horton he had to add a pitch. In AA he was able to spike a slider and they would wiff. At AAA he is dealing with players on the bus and they lay off of it. So he added a split change. And it has turned into his out pitch.

So I heard this in a interview with the play by play Iowa broadcaster and he talked about the ball and how hitters can do video challenges on close pitches. Saw that live and was not time consuming. I feel it takes away the ejection from arguing balls and strikes.

Other than that he said the big difference with AAA to the MLB is pitching. MLB there is no let up. Most are upper 90. Guys lower 90 have nasty breaking pitches. AAA you don't have a endless string of that. So that is where Mervis wrecks AAA and sucks at ChC. He lites up sub value pitching more often.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I agree with bringing up PCA and playing him.

Right now I would sit both Happ and Suzuki.

Play Tauchmann, Bellinger and PCA.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I agree with bringing up PCA and playing him.

Right now I would sit both Happ and Suzuki.

Play Tauchmann, Bellinger and PCA.
the defense in the OF would be amazing for sure

CSF77

Liked Posts:
May 29: RHP Cade Horton exits his start with Triple-A Iowa after one inning on Wednesday
MLB's No. 18 overall prospect surrendered a two-run homer in the opening frame against Louisville and returned to the mound for warmups prior to the second. Horton tossed several pitches before the Iowa athletic trainer went to the mound, along with manager Marty Pevey. Horton walked off the field under his own power.

The right-hander was making his fifth start for Iowa and ninth overall in 2024. The 22-year-old has fanned 40 batters in 34 1/3 innings this season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
no word yet on what it is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
the defense in the OF would be amazing for sure

Happ has been solid over the last week. .368/.429/1.000 I would not pull him at this point.

Suzuki they should bench to reset his bat. .222/.250/.222 last week.

Worked for Happ and worked for Suzuki last year and he took off for the season.

I never say scrap them if they have a track record. I do believe in resetting a hitter and get their swing tuned up.

When on Suzuki is the best hitter on the team. You really want his bat productive.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So Horton has a lat injury.

The recovery time for a latissimus dorsi (lat) injury, also known as a lat strain, depends on the severity of the injury and the treatment plan:
Grade 1 strains: Usually take 2–3 weeks to heal
Grade 2 strains: Typically take at least a month to heal
Grade 3 strains: Often require surgery and can take much longer to heal

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So that puts him on the shelf at min ASG. Which gives him a few weeks to get game ready.

I would not count on him playing in the bigs this year. Not Jed's MO to push like that.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
AAA team:
C- Ballesteros
IF- Mervis, Shaw, Triantos, Vasquez
OF- Alcantara, Cassie, Canario

I know some are hurt, but damn this is insane to have all these guys banging at the door now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
AAA team:
C- Ballesteros
IF- Mervis, Shaw, Triantos, Vasquez
OF- Alcantara, Cassie, Canario

I know some are hurt, but damn this is insane to have all these guys banging at the door now.
Forgetting Horton who is hurt but still

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Forgetting Horton who is hurt but still

Shaw was just put at #25 on the top 100. Horton is at 31. Shaw has all star upside and has been on a run over his minor league carrier. Special talent

Horton has been shut down again and is not expected to pitch again this year. He has gone through set backs.

This is a real reason why they need to target a legit Ace. Depending on minor league talent to become staff aces can end up a train wreck. Steele was unexpected as he was never viewed as a top 100 talent. Which shows that prospect rankings is not a standard that fans should base future success off of.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Shaw was just put at #25 on the top 100. Horton is at 31. Shaw has all star upside and has been on a run over his minor league carrier. Special talent
is that like being groomed to be in the air force or navy or something???

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Horton has been shut down again and is not expected to pitch again this year. He has gone through set backs.

This is a real reason why they need to target a legit Ace. Depending on minor league talent to become staff aces can end up a train wreck. Steele was unexpected as he was never viewed as a top 100 talent. Which shows that prospect rankings is not a standard that fans should base future success off of.
Horton lat flared up a little bit so the Cubs were extra cautious. He is going to pitch soon over the winter. Whole article on the Cubs expecting him to challenge for an opening day spot in spring training. It isn't any arm or leg trouble.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Horton lat flared up a little bit so the Cubs were extra cautious. He is going to pitch soon over the winter. Whole article on the Cubs expecting him to challenge for an opening day spot in spring training. It isn't any arm or leg trouble.

I feel the right move is to go after Corben Burns hard. Then go into the season with Wicks as the 5 and Horton in Iowa. He lost a year and pushing him up is not the MO of Hoyer. Plus it would be unwise to put him in a losing situation like that.

That said giving him a few months to prove that he is dominant at Iowa is a far safer call than tossing him in the fire.

I would do this regardless of what happens to Cody. Jed can still trade him and promote Caissie to cut payroll

I'm pretty sure that 2025 should go over tax. The team is set up to compete. Add to it is is Jed's last year on his deal. He will most likely go over and go for broke knowing he has nothing to lose.

Ballsy move target Burns and trade with the A's for Miller. Put Brown, Killian and Ballestroes on the table.

So in short. Jed is not going to go into 2025 banking on Horton. He will be like most kids. Given a opportunity to stick. But he would have to flat out smoke Wicks for the 5.

Going in with Wicks and Horton is unlikely. That is not a contender rotation. Not until they are pitching at Steele's level. Neither are proven starters yet

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I feel the right move is to go after Corben Burns hard. Then go into the season with Wicks as the 5 and Horton in Iowa. He lost a year and pushing him up is not the MO of Hoyer. Plus it would be unwise to put him in a losing situation like that.

That said giving him a few months to prove that he is dominant at Iowa is a far safer call than tossing him in the fire.

I would do this regardless of what happens to Cody. Jed can still trade him and promote Caissie to cut payroll

I'm pretty sure that 2025 should go over tax. The team is set up to compete. Add to it is is Jed's last year on his deal. He will most likely go over and go for broke knowing he has nothing to lose.

Ballsy move target Burns and trade with the A's for Miller. Put Brown, Killian and Ballestroes on the table.

So in short. Jed is not going to go into 2025 banking on Horton. He will be like most kids. Given a opportunity to stick. But he would have to flat out smoke Wicks for the 5.

Going in with Wicks and Horton is unlikely. That is not a contender rotation. Not until they are pitching at Steele's level. Neither are proven starters yet
I said months ago they needed a TOR pitcher to slot all existing pitchers one spot down and you argued with me.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Going after Burns has no impact on Horton competing for the 5th spot. Horton doesnt have much to prove. His AAA numbers werent great, but AAA is when you use the same ball as MLB. Horton will be on the team next year at some point even if he doesnt break camp.

Cubs arent trading for Miller. A's want a lot. Tanner Scott is more likely for FA.

They just let go of Neris and brought up Neely. They have a bunch of power arms at the back end of that bullpen now. They only need a piece or two for it. They also still have Ben Brown and Assad that could be going to the bullpen depending on FA.

Steel, Imanaga, and Taillon are penciled in.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Going after Burns has no impact on Horton competing for the 5th spot. Horton doesnt have much to prove. His AAA numbers werent great, but AAA is when you use the same ball as MLB. Horton will be on the team next year at some point even if he doesnt break camp.

Cubs arent trading for Miller. A's want a lot. Tanner Scott is more likely for FA.

They just let go of Neris and brought up Neely. They have a bunch of power arms at the back end of that bullpen now. They only need a piece or two for it. They also still have Ben Brown and Assad that could be going to the bullpen depending on FA.

Steel, Imanaga, and Taillon are penciled in.

Yeah I thank God heart attack Hector just got booted off the team. I just see it smarter to allow Horton to get a couple months to prove that he's stable versus just throwing them into the fire. In the long run he's going to be a starter I don't think that changes anything. But they do have wicks and brown already with Major League innings in and higher ceilings than Assad does.

I still think out of all they have probably brown is the best closer just because he has the velocity that you need with a knockout second pitch Plus it's kind of a bulldog out there. But the main issue is I don't consider Shota and Steele as top 10 SP in MLB. And even Horton is questionable when he becomes established to be a top 10 starting pitcher. Most consider him a number two.

Another thing to this long list is injuries always happen so having more options is always better. We've already seen Assad Brown Wicks, Taillon, Hendricks, Horton, Killian all on the DL. Injury is the rule not the exception.