Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That could be the case. You can also value vet leadership but when they cant hit their weight. There vet leadership can be done from the bench.

Well more what I mean is we all know that rookies/basically rookies are going to slump. It's up to the vets to provide consistency and even out the peaks and valleys the team will have. Leadership as you mention is a part of it too but to me thats the lessor part. If Cogs is still playing like shit and the team is contending to me the move you make is to go after someone like Josh Reddick or some other decent OF on a team selling off. I mean if we look objectively right now you have Soler, Castro(of late) and Russell not really hitting. If it weren't for Rizzo being one of the top 5 hitters in the league right now, Bryant playing godly for a rookie and Fowler/Montero having some of their best years the team would likely struggle to score. Seems to me adding Baez into that mix is asking your young players to do far too much.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez 2 for 4 today with 3 RBI's and no k's. First hit was a 2 RBI single with 2 strikes and 2 outs. Thats the kind of at bats you want to see.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is gonna pass up Almora for sure. 16-17 starting CF.

I think he will end up in LF. He is really good though.

.340/.432/.544 4 HR's. 17 BB to 13 SO's dude is killing it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So tonight OF: Almora LF. 0-3(1st round pick), Hannemann CF 2-2 3 RBI(2nd round pick), McKinney RF 1-3(1st round pick).

Not many teams can say they have a better OF at any level.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
All of these bats in the MiLB system. What to do with them all? Well, hopefully a few of them bring back a good pitcher as part of a trade in the next few months.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No one questions his D. I'm concerned with his walk ratio. Minors career: 983 AB's. only 39. Not really solid numbers. I wouldn't be mad if he was used in a trade to get a top of the rotation.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I didn't claim anyone did. I posted a video from today's game. I thought this was a thread about the prospects?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
He is not a CF and will never have anything better then average D. His bat is his calling card.

With RF and LF blocked by Soler, Schwarber and Bryant, CF is his only option to make this team, plus he could be a good option there, so I definitely disagree that he is not a CF:

"His defensive prowess is where he’s truly exceptional. Although he has committed a few errors (as he’s sporting a .976 fielding percentage in the same three seasons) don’t judge too quickly without also taking into account his physical abilities. His field awareness is exemplary as well as his closing speed. He can cover a lot of ground as he seems to hit his full stride in only a few steps. With these two talents put together, he’s able to make plays quicker as he doesn’t wait as long as some other outfielder for a play to progress. He can make a break faster therefore track the ball easier. This also affects the baserunners because the quicker you can get to the ball and hit your cut off man, the less time they’ll have to tag up, take an extra base or attempt to score."

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/05/13/prospect-watch-cubs-billy-mckinney/

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
With RF and LF blocked by Soler, Schwarber and Bryant, CF is his only option to make this team, plus he could be a good option there, so I definitely disagree that he is not a CF:

"His defensive prowess is where he’s truly exceptional. Although he has committed a few errors (as he’s sporting a .976 fielding percentage in the same three seasons) don’t judge too quickly without also taking into account his physical abilities. His field awareness is exemplary as well as his closing speed. He can cover a lot of ground as he seems to hit his full stride in only a few steps. With these two talents put together, he’s able to make plays quicker as he doesn’t wait as long as some other outfielder for a play to progress. He can make a break faster therefore track the ball easier. This also affects the baserunners because the quicker you can get to the ball and hit your cut off man, the less time they’ll have to tag up, take an extra base or attempt to score."

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/05/13/prospect-watch-cubs-billy-mckinney/

From the scouting reports I've read on him his arm isn't ideal for CF. Mlb.com had this to say.

McKinney played mostly center field in Oakland's system but shifted to right field after the trade. His average speed is better suited for a corner, though his instincts and aggressiveness allow him to play quicker than that on the bases and in the outfield. His fringy arm strength ultimately may relegate him to left field.

Fangraphs had this to say
McKinney came over with Russell in the Samardzija deal and is the kind of player that grows on you over time, because, despite being a 2012 first round pick, the tools aren’t huge. He has average at best power, 55 speed that fits in left field due to a below average arm and a swing where he bars out (locks lead arm), but he makes this stroke work for him, in part because his arms aren’t so long that they lengthen his bat path. He just turned 20 and he’ll likely get a taste of AA next year with a chance to be an everyday player, but is more of a high probability very good 4th outfielder.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Both of those were over a year ago though, and McKinney is getting better and better.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I trust a lot more scouts that say his D will not be above average and I have heard no one talk about him being a major league cf. I believe he gets traded again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All I know is they need to promote Almora to AAA. OF in AA is log jambed right now. McKinney is hitting .333 there and is sharing RF with Rademacher. He is hitting .230 but is also a top 30 prospect.

They have Almora playing LF now with Hannemann in CF. It is time to pull the promotion. Almora is at 100 AB's and 141 last year. He is due for a promote now. They have Alcantara bouncing around the field and Lake going back and forth between LF/RF.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I swear it was written right after the trade happened?

ANyways this was awesome to see:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-cubs-prospect-javier-baez-analysis/27454565/

Nice piece, although is it just me or does anyone else get aggravated by the media pointing out how players interact with the media? Simply put, I don't care and I don't think
It has anything to do with their play. If Baez wants to evade reporters in AAA be my guest. Sorry pet peeve. Concentrate on the play in the field media members the rest only matters to y'all, especially in the minor leagues.