Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Gleyber Torres is actually hitting better this season(124 wRC+) in A+ than he did last year at A(116). His OBP is about the same but he's hitting for significantly more power. What's interesting is A+ for the cubs is the florida state league which is typically a pitching league. I think A ball is about neutral maybe slightly pitcher favored but the FSL is usually very pitcher friendly.

Given all that, it honestly wouldn't shock me to see him in the top 10 prospects come midseason rankings. It's rather absurd how good he's been this young. He's hitting .264/.349/.438 on the year at 19 in A+. To put that into perspective, Russell hit .275/.377/.508 at 19 in the california league(A+) which I believe is more hitter friendly. So, Torres is pretty quickly becoming a prospect you might not want to deal.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Any chance of him moving to CF? (TORRES)

The infield seems to be a logjam if Bryant remains at 3b and Baez continues what he is doing.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

The infield seems to be a logjam if Bryant remains at 3b and Baez continues what he is doing.
He's in A ball. Why would you move a kid to CF?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I doubt it. I'd imagine one of two things. Either A) he becomes big time trade piece or more likely B) they envision one of him or Happ as your every day 2B when they start phasing out Zobrist. The thing is he's still at A+ and even if they soon promote him to AA which could happen, you're probably looking at a year and a half there. And then you're also probably looking at a year in AAA. And that's if nothing goes wrong for him. So, you'd be talking about him being on MLB's door step in the final year of Zobrist's deal. Chances are you'd keep him in the minors at least a large part of that year and then maybe work him into the team later in the year.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs drafted a class mate of my sons. Pitches at Duke. In HS he threw in the mid 90's. Bailey Clark.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm starting to think Contreras is a better hitter than I thought. I kinda felt he was a very good hitting C but comparative to overall hitters was just above average. I was kind of envisioning a Yady Molina style bat or like 10 HRs .280/.330/.440 ish slash. However, he's absolutely crushing AAA. Granted the PCL is a hitters league but if you look at his OPS and compare it to Schwarber and Bryant it's pretty impressive. He's sitting at .353/.443/.594 today. That's a bit unsustainable as he has a .380 BABIP but the slugging is more was struck my interest. That gives him an OPS of 1.037. Bryant was at .295/.418/.619 in his first go around in AAA or 1.036 OPS. Schwarber only had 67 PAs but he was at .333/.403/.633 or 1.036 OPS.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm starting to think Contreras is a better hitter than I thought. I kinda felt he was a very good hitting C but comparative to overall hitters was just above average. I was kind of envisioning a Yady Molina style bat or like 10 HRs .280/.330/.440 ish slash. However, he's absolutely crushing AAA. Granted the PCL is a hitters league but if you look at his OPS and compare it to Schwarber and Bryant it's pretty impressive. He's sitting at .353/.443/.594 today. That's a bit unsustainable as he has a .380 BABIP but the slugging is more was struck my interest. That gives him an OPS of 1.037. Bryant was at .295/.418/.619 in his first go around in AAA or 1.036 OPS. Schwarber only had 67 PAs but he was at .333/.403/.633 or 1.036 OPS.

He is ranked as the #1 catching prospect in baseball for a reason. His D is on par with his O. The only thing that he is working on is his game calling. That comes with time. I see him backing up Montero next year. Most likely catching Hendricks maybe Lackey. Arrieta and Lester most likely with get catcher preference. Hammel's replacement who knows. But the reality is he should end up as the starting catcher. His emergence and Schwarber's injury really makes things interesting looking forward.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I doubt it. I'd imagine one of two things. Either A) he becomes big time trade piece or more likely B) they envision one of him or Happ as your every day 2B when they start phasing out Zobrist. The thing is he's still at A+ and even if they soon promote him to AA which could happen, you're probably looking at a year and a half there. And then you're also probably looking at a year in AAA. And that's if nothing goes wrong for him. So, you'd be talking about him being on MLB's door step in the final year of Zobrist's deal. Chances are you'd keep him in the minors at least a large part of that year and then maybe work him into the team later in the year.

Also too far out. I would say they are in competition with each other to take over 2B after Zo moves on. Still too early to tell as prospects tend to struggle more as they start to see better pitching every day.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He is ranked as the #1 catching prospect in baseball for a reason. His D is on par with his O. The only thing that he is working on is his game calling. That comes with time. I see him backing up Montero next year. Most likely catching Hendricks maybe Lackey. Arrieta and Lester most likely with get catcher preference. Hammel's replacement who knows. But the reality is he should end up as the starting catcher. His emergence and Schwarber's injury really makes things interesting looking forward.

I'm not sure there will be a Hammel replacement. That option could be very attractive at $10 mil based on what's out there. Of course if they trade for a potential Arrieta replacement that could change.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure there will be a Hammel replacement. That option could be very attractive at $10 mil based on what's out there. Of course if they trade for a potential Arrieta replacement that could change.
Unless they make a trade for an under 30 potential TOR come deadline which means it likely Hammel could be part of that trade or used in another trade if not put in bullpen.

I think that option being picked up will mostly depend on how he pitches the second half and of course if they end up making that trade come off season.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Fair enough

DanTown

Liked Posts:

My assumption is that Contreras will get Lester to start. One, he's the best arm of the guys next year and secondly, if you stagger Jake (with Montero) then Jon in the rotation then you can follow with a new catcher as well. Then platoon the final three starters based on opposing starter/rest/if Schwarber is still a part time C.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm betting that Schwarber's catching days are over

Never underestimate medical science.....

but if you're talking everyday catching, that's a pretty good bet.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Never underestimate medical science.....

but if you're talking everyday catching, that's a pretty good bet.
Assuming its Montero and Contreras next season, there wont be a need for Schwarber to catch except in emergency situations.

Im going to guess that Contreras will start the year assigned to 2 starters, then once he settles in or if Montero struggles like this year he will probably take on at least one more starter.

Montero will probably catch both Lester and Arrieta being that he more familiar with the two and they would be comfortable with him..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Assuming its Montero and Contreras next season, there wont be a need for Schwarber to catch except in emergency situations.

Im going to guess that Contreras will start the year assigned to 2 starters, then once he settles in or if Montero struggles like this year he will probably take on at least one more starter.

Montero will probably catch both Lester and Arrieta being that he more familiar with the two and they would be comfortable with him..

With Lester on the mound and Montero behind the plate, I may be able to steal a base or two.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
In ref to Schwarber, I've always felt people missed the point with him C. It was never going to be him being an every day starter. However, the fact he could in theory do it was the important part. Look at how maddon has handled subs this year. Kris Bryant is not a short stop but he has played there. Also, look at the fact Maddon is presently carrying 3 catchers. Now imagine that while Schwarber was never going to be Yadier Molina back there, he can do an adequate job for a few innings here or there. Imagine the possibilities that opens up for maddon. You could Start him on off days for the primary C and later push him to LF by double switching another C into the game or just give him a short day to keep him fresh. Like wise, you could start him in LF and pull your C for a pinch hitter and push him into C for a few innings.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
In ref to Schwarber, I've always felt people missed the point with him C. It was never going to be him being an every day starter. However, the fact he could in theory do it was the important part. Look at how maddon has handled subs this year. Kris Bryant is not a short stop but he has played there. Also, look at the fact Maddon is presently carrying 3 catchers. Now imagine that while Schwarber was never going to be Yadier Molina back there, he can do an adequate job for a few innings here or there. Imagine the possibilities that opens up for maddon. You could Start him on off days for the primary C and later push him to LF by double switching another C into the game or just give him a short day to keep him fresh. Like wise, you could start him in LF and pull your C for a pinch hitter and push him into C for a few innings.
No one was talking pre-injury, just post-Injury