Cubs hire Craig Counsell as manager

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also kinda glad Steelefor young is out. He lost me on Suzuki. Suzuki over all had a stellar year. Got benched to fix him self and took off. Not mad at all.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't be shocking to see the 2 Japanese lefties at min added. I think Assad stabilizes the middle innings which are a big deal in the current 5 inning starter. Adding a lefty to balance the pen.makes sense then.

I guess this site put up a Morel to 1B article. Didn't read it. Not mad at the idea. I do feel that Jed should trade him while his value is still good. The holes in his game are going to be a long term issue and better to get a established player in return

Can't remember who replied about Chapman's slump.

Players slump. Who cares. You are paying for 162 games. That includes defense and the good and bad days at the dish.

If it saves a few mil because he was not awesome sauce all year long. Cool

For me I value the glove over the bat at 3B. Jed must have agreed as Morel did not play there and a more stable no power stick Madgral did. When he was off the DL

So take it for what it is worth. If Jed really felt the bat was #1 then Candy would have been at 3B full time vs at 1B the majority.

It is a reason why I see Candy not viewed as a 3B solution in FA for Jed. A swing guy and DH I can see. Full time nope.
Cards will land one of the Japanese lefties.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well maybe Wilson will scare them off. He will call pitches that they never throw and tell the translator all Japanese toss splitters

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
After reading what Judd said about everything. He did bring up a couple key points. Last year they were the only team that Did not make the playoffs with a positive run indifferential.

So if you felt that runs were left on the table.

He also said that councle has over performed year and in year out any cited 2017 has that team he ran had no business being there and push the Cubs to the last week.

So let's take out of this? I'm not sure honestly I think from what he said that a big signing is not necessarily going to happen. And the signing and how he mentioned performing above your expectations as this was an issue going into this year. If I had to guess they're still going to stick with the farm they want a guy that can get the maximum output from the players and that's a big reason why they made this decision
Wrong

I didn’t look up how many other teams missed the playoffs with a positive run DIFFERENTIAL. But, I know the Padres missed the playoffs with a positive run differential also

Edit - Seattle also missed the playoffs with a positive run differential

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
But what about their indifferential? Did they speak with the council about it?
Let me hop in my time traveling machine to the 1500’s and I’ll let you know what the Council of Trent has to say about it!!

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
indifferential

noun

1. A thing which may be done or not done, indifferently; a non-essential.

It's an actual word

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
indifferential

noun

1. A thing which may be done or not done, indifferently; a non-essential.

It's an actual word
Update on indifferential:
According to the 1960s multi volume Funk and Wagnells dictionary in this old house..
indifferential is not a word

Though for your edification
indifferency
indifferentism
and indifferentist are word

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Update on indifferential:
According to the 1960s multi volume Funk and Wagnells dictionary in this old house..
indifferential is not a word

Though for your edification
indifferency
indifferentism
and indifferentist are word
nobody was concerned as to whether or not it is an actual word. The issue is that "run indifferential" is not a thing in baseball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wrong

I didn’t look up how many other teams missed the playoffs with a positive run DIFFERENTIAL. But, I know the Padres missed the playoffs with a positive run differential also

Edit - Seattle also missed the playoffs with a positive run differential
4. If the Cubs had made the playoffs, would Hoyer still have made this move?
The North Siders were in a strong position to make the playoffs in early September, but then lost 15 of their final 22 games to slip out of contention. Both the D-backs and Marlins overtook Chicago for the final two National League Wild Card spots. Hoyer was asked if the late-season collapse played a role in the managerial change.
“That's a hard question to answer,” Hoyer said. “I think we were the only team that was above average in run prevention and run scoring to not make the playoffs. That does bother me. And that's not on one person -- that's on me and every person in the organization. But it felt like we left wins on a table

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh well Jed was off on that. But he makes a point

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1. Does Counsell’s arrival portend a big offseason of additions for the Cubs?

Hoyer said he spent a lot of time selling Counsell on the core the Cubs have in place, the financial flexibility that the team has right now and the wave of prospect talent waiting in the wings. What Hoyer was not yet ready to promise was that this would be a winter filled with multiple jaw-dropping additions.

“I don't think that [by hiring Counsell] we signal that we're going to have some crazy, aggressive offseason,” Hoyer said. “But certainly, I really like our position. And if there are moves, even big moves, that will help us continue that trajectory, we'll definitely do it. But I don't think it's a signal that, like, somehow we're going to have the biggest and boldest offseason. If we do, it's because things lined up for us.”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So I would view this as Jed wants the core to be internal and they have to get playing time. He will add players via trade or F/A if he has a hole to fill