My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
So you think a rotation of Lester Quintana Hendricks Chatwood is good enough to win NLCS and WS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
3 terrific starters should be enough given the trend is starters pitch sub 6 innings. These starters with a killer bullpen gives us a fighting chance

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So you think a rotation of Lester Quintana Hendricks Chatwood is good enough to win NLCS and WS

It would make it in a weak division. But get knocked out. We are placing a lot of faith into Chattwood. I would rather have a full year out of Col before giving him any leeway. Then add another unproven in Monty...bad baseball decision making.

When they signed Chattwood he was the #5 SP. Letting Monty start is the symptoms of a miser.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
3 terrific starters should be enough given the trend is starters pitch sub 6 innings. These starters with a killer bullpen gives us a fighting chance

They wouldn't make it out of the first round. If the Cards add a quality SP then that bit is in jeopardy.

This is a team that should sit on 180 Mil payroll. No reason not to honestly.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Am i the only one who thinks that if the cubs don't get Darvis Arrieta or any TOR type starter and end up with Monty or a BOR type starter that this was a failed off season and their basically punting the season away for contending for WS in order to hope they nab Harper next year?

Don't listen to eggy. I certainly agree.

If any team has one of the best cores in the game and decides to forego competing when apprpriate resources are available to compete, just to naximize profit (or to depend on hopes that the rest of the league shoots itself in the foot), the fans need to make their displeasure felt.

Moreover, even with Harper, this team would be a WC contender at best with its current rotation. And as much as Bryce might like KB, you think he'll be in a hurry to sign with a Cubs team that 1) won't have $$$ left for the starter they will still need, and 2) that has shown it won't try to acquire said starter even when it could let them contend? In that case, he'd likely go with the team with the best rotation. If that means re-signing with the Nats, he may well do that.

And thus the Cubs would take a pass on '18 for nothing.

Last edited:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not sure id call what they have a killer bullpen...
Their better but Morrow right now is a downgrade from Davis and we dont know how he'll handle closing...

Lester 34 now, so not sure how much TOR performance their gonna get put of him...

Quintana is still ?????

Hendricks we need to see exactly what he is ....

So they have 2 guys that can either take the bull by the horn and be very good TOR types or just be good MOR types..

Lester who could still be that guy or at 34 fall off a bit

Yes their 3 good starters but they all big question marks attached to them

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Their better but Morrow right now is a downgrade from Davis and we dont know how he'll handle closing...

Lester 34 now, so not sure how much TOR performance their gonna get put of him...

Quintana is still ?????

So they have 2 guys that can either take the bull by the horn and be very good TOR types or just be good MOR types..

I'm more concerned with their starting lineup than their starting pitchers. A bunch of average players and undisciplined hitters. If Chili Davis cant change some attitudes the pitching wont matter

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The issue with the CBA is the lack of minimum cap like the NFL.... IT allows so many teams to tank every year and kills parody.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Quintana is still ?????

The problem last year was it was all about Davis at the end. One man doesn’t make a pen.

Right now the weakest link may end up Strop if Maples works out. That is a good place to be in right now.

So yes they do not have a pen ace like Davis was but it is deeper and that has been missing the last 2 years. The last time this pen was deep was 2008 with Wood/Marmol/Howry/Wurtz/Cotts

Morrow/Cishek/Duensing/Wilson/Edwards/Strop are locks. If they upgrade the rotation it puts Montgomery into long relief. Then they have Grim/Maples fighting for the last spot. Unless they decide to go 2 long relief arms then that brings some SP into the equation.

Over all I really like the pen as a over all unit. Sure it doesn’t have this big gun in the 9th but what they have is better depth where it is not just having only 1 guy that they can depend on.

Now as far as the rotation goes they need Darvish. All I need to say about it. Right now they are a tier below the best teams. Darvish puts them up with them. They have not addressed losing Jake yet.

O wise honestly I feel it kinda hinges on Schwarber. If this new look translates to hitting the ball more and not just to 2B then we might have a battle on team MVP

chibears55

Liked Posts:
In the article you posted it said the Cubs have made a similar offer. Why assume they aren't trying?
The similar offer was most likely the 4 yr deal we heard about when they visited him a while back..

We havent heard anything since with them negotiating or communicating with each other...

Now Epstein saying he'd be fine starting the season with what they have.. i take that as they dont have anything going on now as far as negotiating etc., or even close to an agreement with any of the pitchers...

Darvish been waiting for a team , most likely the yankees to make a solid offer and now they have....
Probably just a matter of when they can move Ellsbury now

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All it said was 5 over 100 mil. I’m guessing the floor is 20 AAV. 25 AAV is most likely what it takes to sign him

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm just going to make a wild guess and presuppose that Theo and Jed know what they're doing far better than anyone on this Forum. Instead of whining and crying about what they are not doing, I'm just gonna roll with what they are doing. There is no reason to doubt them as they've already accomplished what no other front office has done for this franchise.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
@chibears55, man, dude, chill down a little bit, this "negative Nancy" attitude is getting kinda annoying, have a little faith in Theo and Jed :yep:

If we're able to get Darvish/Arrieta great, if not, I'm sure Theo has some TOR SP trade up in his sleeve (although, gotta say I'm slightly disappointed Cubs didn't pursue Gerrit Cole trade, no matter the same division issue).

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@chibears55, man, dude, chill down a little bit, this "negative Nancy" attitude is getting kinda annoying, have a little faith in Theo and Jed :yep:

If we're able to get Darvish/Arrieta great, if not, I'm sure Theo has some TOR SP trade up in his sleeve (although, gotta say I'm slightly disappointed Cubs didn't pursue Gerrit Cole trade, no matter the same division issue).
Not sure what part of me saying there doesn't seem to be much effort is being negative or a downer...

Have you heard anything connecting cubs and Darvish since their meeting and a supposed offer of 4 yrs..?

Have you heard anything connecting cubs and Arrieta ? We hear about maybe a 3 or 4 yr offer that was made a bit ago, havent heard or seen anything about them meeting..

Have you seen or heard anything connecting cubs and Cobb?
There a supposed rumored 3 yr offer made to him a few weeks ago but nothing that ive seen of a meeting with him.. all we hear at times is how cobb wants to be a cub but nothing from the cubs..

Havent seen anything connecting them to possible trades lately...

Sure maybe something pops up and they land one of them but right now there doesn't seem to be much going on except for waiting...

I still think it a possibility that maybe Arrieta decides to come back on a 1 or 2 yr deal if he not getting what he wants from anyone...

I dont see it as being negative or down, im just saying what i dont see happening now

ooo

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I don't think no news means nothing is going on. Meetings are easy for beat reporters to get a hold of, but phone calls and texts, not so much. I am sure our amazing front office isn't sitting back twiddling their thumbs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
First off, who the fuck is "The Simonetti Source"? He joined twitter literally this month. Secondly, he has 407 subs on youtube. Guy isn't a legit source afaik. Thirdly, I'd imagine it's fairly obvious what the cubs front office is doing when they signed duensing. They put their cards on the table and are calling the bluff of the starters. And why wouldn't they? Who are the 3 teams that are going to sign guys on top of them? Because as things stand, one of Cobb, Arrieta and Darvish is likely going to struggle to find a team. If you're comfortable with all 3 as a front office you wait them out.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
First off, who the fuck is "The Simonetti Source"? He joined twitter literally this month. Secondly, he has 407 subs on youtube. Guy isn't a legit source afaik. Thirdly, I'd imagine it's fairly obvious what the cubs front office is doing when they signed duensing. They put their cards on the table and are calling the bluff of the starters. And why wouldn't they? Who are the 3 teams that are going to sign guys on top of them? Because as things stand, one of Cobb, Arrieta and Darvish is likely going to struggle to find a team. If you're comfortable with all 3 as a front office you wait them out.

Has anyone heard who the free agent was who claimed he would be fine waiting til the middle of the season to sign with a team? A lot of people thought it was JD Martinez, but now I wonder if its Arrieta. So much talk of a tired arm, playoff and world series and another playoff. You know he will be fit when he shows up wherever.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Has anyone heard who the free agent was who claimed he would be fine waiting til the middle of the season to sign with a team? A lot of people thought it was JD Martinez, but now I wonder if its Arrieta. So much talk of a tired arm, playoff and world series and another playoff. You know he will be fit when he shows up wherever.
My guess it probably noone or one of the lesser FA

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't think no news means nothing is going on. Meetings are easy for beat reporters to get a hold of, but phone calls and texts, not so much. I am sure our amazing front office isn't sitting back twiddling their thumbs.
But but their sources.....lol