Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Doubt that he would spread fake news to drum up fake support. No need to act like a certain politician.

Doesn't have to be fake to be useful. You're literally having the reaction that is desired. As a cubs fan you hear a rival has offered someone you want a contract and are now saying offer more to get him now. For all we know it wasn't even in the realm of what he would accept. But that's how the game is played. An agent floats news that a rival has offered a deal in the hopes his desired location ups their offer.

Regardless, if MIL was truly serious they would have been in on him from the start. Literally the only reason for a team to get into the game now is either A) they are looking for a bargain or B) they are looking to drive up prices for someone else. You don't wait until january to start talking to a guy you seriously want.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My point is he most likely got a offer from them. If it was to motivate Theo to counter then that is just smart strategic maneuvering. If it is based off of fake news and no offer it makes him look like a fraud and kills his market.

A man is only as good as his word. Trust matters in some places still.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Theo is basically Bernie Mac in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8DoNerIPY

He's holding at his price. Whatever the other agents (as I feel the Cubs likely have given an offer to both Darvish and Arrieta and will sign the first one who takes it) want to do is simply posturing because much like Mac in this clip, Theo realizes that the agent and player needs to sign a deal far more than the Cubs need to give out a bad one so he doesn't have to negotiate.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
My point is he most likely got a offer from them. If it was to motivate Theo to counter then that is just smart strategic maneuvering. If it is based off of fake news and no offer it makes him look like a fraud and kills his market.

A man is only as good as his word. Trust matters in some places still.

Well an offer without signing doesn't mean two shits. An offer and $2.50 gets me on the CTA.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Brewers just made formal offer to Darvish. Let the whining and hand wringing begin

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/01/21/report-brewers-have-made-formal-contract-offer-to-yu-darvish/

One of two things is going on IMO. The first is that Darvish's people wanted one more player involved in the negotiations and got one and the second is that Darvish has a preference for a small market club and now he has two bidding for his services as opposed to one in the Twins. It would be reasonable to think that it could be either one.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Again, offers mean nothing. If it was such a good offer, why didn’t he take it?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Again, offers mean nothing. If it was such a good offer, why didn’t he take it?

Exactly. It's adding another player to the party in the hopes that it will either jumpstart negotiations, raise numbers or both. In and of itself it means nothing.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
If the Brewers are suddenly trying to get in on Darvish, maybe they are going by the old rules of "the longer it goes and the closer it gets to spring training, the lower the price goes" and are now looking for a bargain.

Sort of makes you think the mgmt in Milwaukee aren't caught up to the 21st century yet, at least to where they don't realize that larger, longer offers are still on the table...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just thinking of all guys they could of brought in for depth it cant be coincidence they signed this guy who friends with darvish and was his personal catcher in Texas..

Hmmmm

Could Epstein do it again?
Use a backup catcher to land the prize SP in FA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Mike Berardino

@MikeBerardino
If you're gonna lean solely on numbers, get 'em right.

They were paired 12 times in MLB w/ 3.29 ERA. Gimenez also caught all his bullpens in extended spring of 2016 as Darvish worked back from Tommy John. Darvish has told friends Gimenez is his all-time favorite catcher.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just found this...

Maybe Darvish interest in Twins had some connection with Gimenez..

Also it seems as if he didnt like some things in Texas..

Makes you think more that Epstein hoping that by grabbing Gimenez helps nab Darvish
5ac53574c0edb5316fc5ac0bb95e1784.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
385ce27f11efec1854922a5ab24ec938.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
$32,560,758 Is what they are under atm. That includes benifits etc.

Grimm is not included due to him in Arb still. And the catcher. I would put both at 2 mil right now. Grimm I would cut and go with Butler honestly. Rather have a 2 inning guy right now and he costs far less on the 25.

I would go 20 mil year 1 myself. That gives some flex. Now the tax goes up to 206 the following year. Another 9 mil to take on pay hikes. Wilson is the main loss. Now there will be some pay hikes going on so I don’t expect much addition going on honestly. And it is really not needed if they do sign Yu. But with the tax going up you would expect a uptick year 2 by 5 mil then it goes up to 209 the following but that point they free up from Zo’s 14 mil.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What does that mean, "Wilson is the main loss"?