1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
(Found on WSD Facebook)

BREAKING NEWS RT @Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Cubs in agreement with free-agent RHP Jason Hammel, pending a physical.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
i hope you are joking.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

But, but, but, golly gee, he pitched in the AL East and is heading back to the weak NL Central Mrs. Cleaver.

Shouldn't that bode well for young Theodore? I mean Jason? :beerbang:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1:14pm: Hammel will receive a one-year deal that is expected to be worth around $6MM, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

12:39pm: The Cubs have agreed to sign free agent starter Jason Hammel, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The deal is pending a physical. Hammel, 31, is represented by Octagon.

After posting a strong 3.43 ERA in 2012 season that was shortened due to knee surgery, Hammel failed to repeat in 2013. Hammel had reached 8.5 K/9 and 53.2% GB% in 2012, both of which represent career highs by a substantial margin.

As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes noted in ranking Hammel 48th on his list of the top fifty free agents, Hammel saw a dive in his strikeout and groundball rates and dealt with elbow issues. He ultimately ended up with a 4.97 ERA over 139 1/3 innings in 2013.

Prior to the long DL stints in his last two seasons, Hammel had registered three straight years with at least 170 innings for the Rockies. Though he averaged only a 4.63 ERA in that stretch, his numbers were inflated by pitching at Coors Field. Fangraphs put his value at 8.9 fWAR for those three years, though Baseball-Reference saw it as a less-impressive 4.0 rWAR.

The Cubs had signed only three players to guaranteed MLB deals before landing Hammel, none of whom are starters. Hammel will presumably fill out the club's 2014 rotation, joining Jeff Samardzija, Edwin Jackson, Travis Wood, and Jake Arrieta to form the regular starting five.

After missing out on Masahiro Tanaka, Chicago had been rumored to be looking to make a value play on a mid-tier starter. WIth recent injury issues holding down his value, Hammel looks to be the same kind of pitcher that the Cubs targeted last year, when they inked Scott Baker (one year, $5.5MM), Scott Feldman (one year, $6MM), and Carlos Villanueva (two years, $10MM).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All I have to say is I feel better with Hammel over Rusin or Grimm.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
prob. get flipped in July. . maybe he can scrap up 7-8 wins by then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But, but, but, golly gee, he pitched in the AL East and is heading back to the weak NL Central Mrs. Cleaver.

Shouldn't that bode well for young Theodore? I mean Jason? :beerbang:

every move is the greatest! maybe you will trade him and get 2 top specs and one A ball guy. :rolleyes:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
every move is the greatest! maybe you will trade him and get 2 top specs and one A ball guy. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah? Well, we are gonna get a higher draft pick than you will. :tongue:

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Not a bad back of the rotation guy.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I like the move. Get him for decent price and can flip him at the deadline.

Only problem is: If he has a good year and they trade him, those fans will freak out like always wondering why we trade pitchers like Malholm, Hammel, etc and still have Edwin Jackson on the roster.

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I like the move. Get him for cheap and can flip him at the deadline.

Only problem is: If he has a good year and they trade him, those fans will freak out like always wondering why we trade pitchers like Malholm, Hammel, etc and still have Edwin Jackson on the roster.

When E-Jax has a good year, we will then address that issue.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
they dont need anymore of them

But if he is better than Grimm or Rusin at all, it is at least an improvement. :shrug:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs To Sign James McDonald
By Jeff Todd [January 31 at 3:08pm CST]
The Cubs have agreed to a minor league deal with pitcher James McDonald that includes an invitation to Spring Training, reports Bruce Levine of 670thescore.com (via Twitter). The 29-year-old hit the open market in September when he refused an outright assignment from the Pirates.

McDonald was off to an excellent start in 2012, but struggled mightily down the stretch. Things never came together for him last year, as he only got six starts and ended up with a 5.76 ERA in 29 2/3 MLB innings. Control was a particular issue, as McDonald ended up with 6.1 BB/9. In 33 Triple-A innings in 2013, McDonald scuffled to a 6.55 ERA.