Cubs To Sign Jason Hammel

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
seems like the sox forum gets as many fans to show up there to support their team as comiskey park..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

we also dont have the strong breeding of sheep.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Last year they turned Feldman into a potential long term bullpen piece and a iffy starter in Arrieta. I really don't see what the bitching is about. They needed more starters this year. They tried to get Tanaka and failed. So what are they supposed to do? Not sign another starter? You can make an argument they should have signed X, Y, or Z instead but it really doesn't matter because they are going to be a bad team regardless. And it's not like teams are falling over themselves to sign the remaining guys like Garza, Santana and Jiminez not to mention why would any of them want to sign with this cubs team in the first place?[/QUOTE]

So the pitchers nobody else wants, and would desire a job, don't want to play for the Cubs anyway? That's some good reasoning.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Okay... so even if the Cubs were 162-0 and they were up 3-0 in the World Series after sweeping NLDS and NLCS the Sox would still be better. Just don't agree with using that as logic.

Well the Cubs would lose 4 straight giving the title to the Southsiders

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Meaningless move which is a big splash these days

Let's resume this Cubs vs Sox thing when one of the teams can win 70 games

So mid August then? :)

justaChifan

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well with the gamble going on with Hammel it makes sense why they signed McDonald.

Funny part of this is this is the exact same deal Feldman got.

Ya again a flipper sign.

Bosio should just get him to go with a cutter as Feldman worked last year.

Over all plan "B" is fine. They made a push for plan "A" . Lost but unlike last year where they paid 52 mil on 18 losses in a plan "B" they followed with what worked in Feldman.

You can hate it if you want but this team is far away from being good.

It would take 100 mil just to make it respectable via F/A.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well with the gamble going on with Hammel it makes sense why they signed McDonald.

Funny part of this is this is the exact same deal Feldman got.

I knew this is the way they would go after they missed out on Tanaka. There's really not a significantly better play. Santana seems like a guy likely to back slide after a career year. Ubaldo has had 3 decent seasons and 4 meh or worse seasons. Both are tied to draft pick compensation. Both have a career ERA hovering around 4. The loss of the pick matters less than the loss of the draft pick slot money. That slot money can mean the difference between someone being able to sign or to go back to college.

In the mean while the cubs have to start 162 games. I see an argument to be made for signing Arryo vs Hammel but at that point you're splitting hairs. Neither is going to be an impact player. So, if you're not going to lose a draft pick to sign middle of the rotation types in Santana/Jiminez what other choice is there? I mean anyone who suggests they should have just stood pat with Rusin/Arrieta/Villeneuva/Hendricks/whomever as their last two rotations spots is ignorant. They will trot him out for 15-20 starts and hope to get a young player or two from some team desperate to make a push for the last wild card slots.

A lot of people will call the return "trash" I'm sure because they will be names no one has heard of. But Jim Edmonds was never a top 100 player. He turned out all right. Same can be said for Yady Molina, Robinson Cano, Jorge Posada, Jose Bautista, Kevin Youkilis, Pablo Sandoval, Paul Goldschmidt, Matt Carpenter, Jeff Kent, Michael Young, Matt Holliday, Mat Latos, James Shields, Doug Fister, Lance Lynn, John Lackey, Brandon Webb, Dan Haren, Tim Hudson, Ryan Dempster, Mariano Rivera, Trevor Hoffman, Mark Buehrle, C.J. Wilson and Johan Santana. Point here being that you don't have to be a top 100 player to be a successful major league player and that the more talent you have in your system the more likely players like this are to bubble up to the top. Will all of the players the cubs get in trades work out? Absolutely not. But if every team gets 50 draft picks and a couple of IFAs the cubs would be getting that plus whatever they can pull out of trades plus weakening other teams farm systems. If the front office is as good as the media would have you believe they will eventually stumble upon great values.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is all fine. The way I look at it is Rusin= waste of time. Not long term. No trade value. Grimm= long shot to have some value. No track record coming into the season. Villenueva= Better numbers in the pen or more trade value as a BP.

That is why signing a flip made sense.

I wouldn't bother making a splash deal until this is a .500 team from in house resource.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Say we suck, when you root for a team that hasn't won shit since 1908.

And the Sox still suck. Yall are basically hoping your team of aging players that had a down year come back up and your young players perform for the first time in the majors. Oh, I forgot, yalll have Chris Sale. He is very good but I will bet my left nut his career ends like Prior. The Cubs suck. No p[roblem saying it, but the Sox suck just as much with a smaller following. Shouldnt you feel worse that a team that hasnt won since 1908 still outdraws another team in the same city?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And the Sox still suck. Yall are basically hoping your team of aging players that had a down year come back up and your young players perform for the first time in the majors. Oh, I forgot, yalll have Chris Sale. He is very good but I will bet my left nut his career ends like Prior. The Cubs suck. No p[roblem saying it, but the Sox suck just as much with a smaller following. Shouldnt you feel worse that a team that hasnt won since 1908 still outdraws another team in the same city?

Shouldn't one care about baseball matters more tgan attendance? ???

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shouldn't one care about baseball matters more tgan attendance? ???

In most cities, yes. But not here. The Sox could put the 27 Yankees on the field and the Cubs would still out draw them. It's just not a White Sox town....never has been and
probably never will be.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
In most cities, yes. But not here. The Sox could put the 27 Yankees on the field and the Cubs would still out draw them. It's just not a White Sox town....never has been and
probably never will be.

Clearly you don't know history

That said its harder for the Sox but the gap is closing

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It has to do with location. South side has a bad rep.

For myself: I liked Bill Veck. When Reinsdork took over team went to shit.

Not to mention them and the Raiders became every thug wannabe's fashion statement. Not a solid way to build a image.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It has to do with location. South side has a bad rep.

For myself: I liked Bill Veck. When Reinsdork took over team went to shit.

Not to mention them and the Raiders became every thug wannabe's fashion statement. Not a solid way to build a image.

Part of that made the Sox popular when the team struggled

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Part of that made the Sox popular when the team struggled

What made the sox fun was Veck's innovates.

The thing is as you are seeing that majority want traditional baseball as it is a past time sporting event.

At least in Chi-Town.

For myself I did not like to go to an area that I worried that my car may not be there when I got out of a game. I'm funny that way.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Ah, yes... you clearly seem satisfied with the quality of discourse over on the Sox board... :)

Exactly, he claims to be satisfied with the small group of homer sox fans on the sox board yet spends a significant amount of time on the Cubs board.