Cutler-isms.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Eh, I think he's pretty funny actually.

Atheltes get asked some stupid shit, maybe it's douchey but I think it's great when guys have the balls to get sarcastic. At least Cutler's interesting.
Yeah, but that kind of crap was what got Cutler labeled as a sourpuss and the most hated athlete in sports, etc. You can't always say what you're thinking, especially not to the sports media.

Liked Posts:
There's a Haha Clinton-Dix joke in there somewhere.

in6czl.jpg

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember Cutty being asked about playoff success. He said "playoffs? What the heck would I know about playoffs. Only got to them once on the back of the defense and then got myself knocked out of the game by my daddy, the Packers."

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Yeah but it just shows he doesn't give a shit about the media, which he shouldn't. good on him

You are what they say you are. I don't know if you noticed, but over the last couple of years he has worked to clean up his image with the media. The weekly radio show during the season, tying Webb's shoe, not answering questions like a petulant child, etc. After 5 mediocre seasons with the Bears, along with a backup outperforming him recently (yes we know Cutler would have played better in those games), do you really think any fans would be happy with the fact that the Bears offered him a contract extension if he was still being portrayed as a total jackass?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't care either way, it's the offseason so there isn't much to talk about...I just think it is funny and hypocritical when someone starts a thread that criticizes Cutler and that poster gets put through the ringer because of it, but then a thread like this pops up which is basically accomplishing the same thing only on the other end of the spectrum. I guess my point is, the board as a whole should do better about posting topics in the offseason that will generate discussion and worry less about whether someone is trying to troll.

I think it's fine if people want to like Cutler and find him amusing, but the whole "don't care" thing with the sarcasm and attitude, this is all part of the negative side of Cutler, and fits perfectly with the narrative of a player who never seemed to bother about getting better, and whose performances never HAVE gotten better. It's funny to me that some of the same people who enjoy this stuff are the same people who call into question the fandom of posters who criticize Cutler because they want him to be better.

Bottom line - it's fine if you want to enjoy that aspect of Cutler, and it's fine if you want to be the guy who takes football seriously and hates on people who criticize Cutler, but you can't be both. To celebrate Cutler's brat side is to celebrate failure for the team you claim to be a fan of. There's no getting around that.

And before Broc or anyone else predictably chimes in with something about Rex Grossman, we're talking about Cutler, not Grossman. Grossman was the better part of a decade ago.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Heck, go back and watch Trestman's speech to the Illini. He talks about how in the long run, the people who are the nice, who can recognize the contributions of others to their cause, who encourage others to do their best while doing the best themselves, are the ones who go the furthest. Cutler's change in attitude had to happen.

[video=youtube;jpXK99lgENE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpXK99lgENE[/video]

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Heck, go back and watch Trestman's speech to the Illini. He talks about how in the long run, the people who are the nice, who can recognize the contributions of others to their cause, who encourage others to do their best while doing the best themselves, are the ones who go the furthest. Cutler's change in attitude had to happen.

[video=youtube;jpXK99lgENE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpXK99lgENE[/video]

No time to watch the video, but I'm gonna guess, this is more about interaction with teammates and coaches. The media has nothing to do with that.

Cutlers disinterest in the media during pressers is his most charming attribute. He proves every week in his radio show he can be funny, insightful, and engaging in a conversational setting.

Kissing media ass when they are acting like rabid dogs, is not something I admire.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just find it kind of weird how adults (at least I think most here are) even have an interest in his offf the field antics and mannerisms. It isn't like he is a star in the league or something like that. The rest of the world doesn't have an interest in this type of stuff. They see him as someone who has a great arm, and chokes in big games, and is injury prone. That is about it.

He is not one of the better at his position on our team or in the league. Forte is, Marshall and Jeffery are, Kyle Long will be, Tillman was, Urlacher was. These are the type of people that normally get this type of attention, the stick outs. I have never understood the crazy love that some have for him.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I just find it kind of weird how adults (at least I think most here are) even have an interest in his offf the field antics and mannerisms. It isn't like he is a star in the league or something like that. The rest of the world doesn't have an interest in this type of stuff. They see him as someone who has a great arm, and chokes in big games, and is injury prone. That is about it.

He is not one of the better at his position on our team or in the league. Forte is, Marshall and Jeffery are, Kyle Long will be, Tillman was, Urlacher was. These are the type of people that normally get this type of attention, the stick outs. I have never understood the crazy love that some have for him.

He's the best at his position that this team has ever seen, and the Chicago Bears have a very long history.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
He's the best at his position that this team has ever seen, and the Chicago Bears have a very long history.

Have they had a long history of great QB's? Because the statement

He's the best at his position that this team has ever seen

doesn't hold much weight with the QB history the Bears have had

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am sorry but I love Cutlers attitude. Its obvious he's very sarcastic by nature, and likes to fire back at dumb questions with dumb answers. If you listen to his radio show you can tell he aint a bad dude, he just aint a big fan of doing internviews and dealing with the media. Reminds me of Urlacher. The guy seems cool but he just comes off as a total douche when doing interviews. Not everyone wants to be a media darling and I can respect that.

The only arguement on the other side I agree with is its part of thier job, comes with the territory, so you dont need to be a total A-holel about it. That was territory I felt Lovie entered there toward the end of his tenure, he was just an A-hole during media sessions, at least with the local media.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I just ind it kind of weird how adults (at least I think most here are) even have an interest in his offf the field antics and mannerisms. It isn't like he is a star in the league or something like that. The rest of the world doesn't have an interest in this type of stuff. They see him as someone who has a great arm, and chokes in big games, and is injury prone. That is about it.

He's a way above average qb who was consistenly hampered year after year when traded to the Bears; dealing with the never ending cycle of offensive coordinators who flopped and never to return at that coaching position(See: Mike Mccartthy- Bad qb/team in SF, but got head coaching gig), Recievers who flopped before cominig to Chicago(Roy Williams, Devin Hester, Devin A- all had their chance as #1's nad never caught on to another team) and one of the most embaressing and pathetic offensive lines I have ever seen play professional football. 7 sacks in a half. 7 sacks in a game. It wasn't Cutler. It was that line. Hence why NONE of those linemen during the Lovie years have gone onto have a successful starting career after leaving Chicago. Before his injury he was on pace for over 30 touchdowns, and was getting talk of NFL MVP. Does that amtter much? No. But when in contrast that everyone was seeing that Cutler finally had weapons and an offense to work with and along with actually playing in the same system; the sky is the limit for that guy.

Noone doubts his talent. I sure as hell don't. I don't think he's injury prone at all. Chad Pennington? Injury prone. Jay Cutler being sacked 57 times and who the hell knows how many hits, trying to walk off a concussion and tearing a groin? Not injury prone.

He was a pro bowl quarterback that was considered the new upcoming star QB in the league before being shipped here in Chicago and dealt with complete and utter shit for years under Lovie and Angelo, who believed Cutler can make Devin Hester run the right routs, Roy Williams to give a shit and Jonny Knox into more than one trick pony. All of that has failed. Lovies failure and stubborness was his downfall and I for one am thrilled he's gone. Finally Cutler sees potential and a challeneg working with Trest who gives him a coach who has his back, but also one he enjoyes working with. After the Mike Tices and Ron Turners. Can you blame him for being pissed off? I would be too.

All the hate will be settled down this year, I believe that 100% and you can quote me.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I am sorry but I love Cutlers attitude. Its obvious he's very sarcastic by nature, and likes to fire back at dumb questions with dumb answers. If you listen to his radio show you can tell he aint a bad dude, he just aint a big fan of doing internviews and dealing with the media. Reminds me of Urlacher. The guy seems cool but he just comes off as a total douche when doing interviews. Not everyone wants to be a media darling and I can respect that.

The only arguement on the other side I agree with is its part of thier job, comes with the territory, so you dont need to be a total A-holel about it. That was territory I felt Lovie entered there toward the end of his tenure, he was just an A-hole during media sessions, at least with the local media.
I go to Nashville all the time and frequent Vanderbilt for good food and bars that are away from the tourist trap of Broadway, quite often if someone notices my Bears hat and they are a local, they'll chime in on Cutler. All of them have said he's an extremely nice guy and willing to take a picture with you, but just like anyone else, when you are out to dinner with your wife and some drunk moron is dinnerbombing you while you relax, you'll get irritated. Noone down there had anything bad to say about him. Said he's friendly nice and quiet.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Indeed. It's a sad reflection of our QB history that the guy who is currently around 15th-20th in the league is the best we've ever had (or at least, the best we've had in the modera era, certainly).

Last edited:

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
He's a way above average qb who was consistenly hampered year after year when traded to the Bears; dealing with the never ending cycle of offensive coordinators who flopped and never to return at that coaching position(See: Mike Mccartthy- Bad qb/team in SF, but got head coaching gig), Recievers who flopped before cominig to Chicago(Roy Williams, Devin Hester, Devin A- all had their chance as #1's nad never caught on to another team) and one of the most embaressing and pathetic offensive lines I have ever seen play professional football. 7 sacks in a half. 7 sacks in a game. It wasn't Cutler. It was that line. Hence why NONE of those linemen during the Lovie years have gone onto have a successful starting career after leaving Chicago. Before his injury he was on pace for over 30 touchdowns, and was getting talk of NFL MVP. Does that amtter much? No. But when in contrast that everyone was seeing that Cutler finally had weapons and an offense to work with and along with actually playing in the same system; the sky is the limit for that guy.

Noone doubts his talent. I sure as hell don't. I don't think he's injury prone at all. Chad Pennington? Injury prone. Jay Cutler being sacked 57 times and who the hell knows how many hits, trying to walk off a concussion and tearing a groin? Not injury prone.

He was a pro bowl quarterback that was considered the new upcoming star QB in the league before being shipped here in Chicago and dealt with complete and utter shit for years under Lovie and Angelo, who believed Cutler can make Devin Hester run the right routs, Roy Williams to give a shit and Jonny Knox into more than one trick pony. All of that has failed. Lovies failure and stubborness was his downfall and I for one am thrilled he's gone. Finally Cutler sees potential and a challeneg working with Trest who gives him a coach who has his back, but also one he enjoyes working with. After the Mike Tices and Ron Turners. Can you blame him for being pissed off? I would be too.

All the hate will be settled down this year, I believe that 100% and you can quote me.

Even prior to his injury last year, he was the same up & down QB I've seen since 2009. He just got sacked less. We'll see if the light bulb turned on after he signed on the dotted line

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Indeed. It's a sad reflection of our QB history that the guy who is currently around 15th-20th in the league is the best we've ever had (or at least, the best we've had in the modera era, certainly).

Yeah it is, but why bitch about it constantly like a bunch of little girls? It gets aggravating at times but it's not worth whining about constantly.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's fine if people want to like Cutler and find him amusing, but the whole "don't care" thing with the sarcasm and attitude, this is all part of the negative side of Cutler, and fits perfectly with the narrative of a player who never seemed to bother about getting better, and whose performances never HAVE gotten better.
Bottom line - it's fine if you want to enjoy that aspect of Cutler, and it's fine if you want to be the guy who takes football seriously and hates on people who criticize Cutler, but you can't be both. To celebrate Cutler's brat side is to celebrate failure for the team you claim to be a fan of. There's no getting around that.

I'm not sure that I follow you here. Can you tell me where anyone coach, player or otherwise indicated that Cutler didn't care about getting better? I'm not sure you have anything but Cutler hate to back that up. Which is fine, I get why people don't like Cutler, I'm just unsure about the statement now wanting or caring to get better. Once could argue that he hasn't gotten better buy I'm unsure of his not caring.

I also think its a huge leap to tell people that if they like Cutler's sarcastic side or his smart remarks to the press is celebrating the Bears failure. Where's the connection? I'm not following the train of thought there.