I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If cubs go to the playoffs, Ross is likely to garner some manager of the year votes and yet some on here will say he should be gone lol

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
If cubs go to the playoffs, Ross is likely to garner some manager of the year votes and yet some on here will say he should be gone lol
My opinion is simple. Go to playoffs Ross stays, don't, fire him. results oriented business

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean i feel like people put way too much emphasis on coaching in baseball and ironically not enough in stuff like football. Like most of being a manager is keeping your players as healthy as you can but it ultimately comes down to players performing. Literally anyone can go out there and manage kerry wood's 20 strike out game.

And for the record, cubs are 82-74 with 6 to play. Over under was like 75 wins before the start of the season and they lost stroman and bellinger for lengthy stints and also had no bullpen to start the year. Ross is fine at worse and as others have said better than that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wicks and Assad are two of our best pitchers at the moment.

What would your playoff rotation be?

Steele, Hendricks, Stroman, Taillon?

Yuck. Lol. I guess there’s no way to design it in a way that makes it sound formidable.

But you still should start your best pitchers. Stroman and Taillon are two of our worst at the moment.

Short leash the worst has been Steele. Tallion has been better his last two.

The strength of having a strong middle relief is David can pull the plug and not worry about it as the next guy can get to the closer.

You give up runs in the 1st-3rd you have 7 innings to make it up.

Giving it up after the starter leaves the O is less likely to get it back.

Add to it say Steele takes game one. David would have Assad to take over when Steele starts to falter. Game 2 Stroman and Wicks as his next up.

Tallion and Hendricks are a toss up after. David would have Smyly ready for either game.

Play off games are another animal and getting 3 innings then a fresh arm ups the odds of winning.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
My opinion is simple. Go to playoffs Ross stays, don't, fire him. results oriented business
Lmao mmmmk

What were your expectations for the cubs entering the season??

Again, Ross is likely to be the NL manager of the year…he ain’t getting fired

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lmao mmmmk

But hey, it's a result oriented business right? No playoffs, no job. So every year 18 managers get fired, right?

Got to love the "fans" that show up around playoff time.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Lmao mmmmk

It is so hard for us to judge, we know nothing of how things are going behind the scenes. I said before the season began, a reasonable expectation would be 81 wins, which is 8 more than last year.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It is so hard for us to judge, we know nothing of how things are going behind the scenes. I said before the season began, a reasonable expectation would be 81 wins, which is 8 more than last year.
K and they’ve exceeded even your somewhat high expectations(you had a higher win total for this team than the vast majority of people, including Vegas and Vegas knows what the fuck they are doing)

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
K and they’ve exceeded even your somewhat high expectations(you had a higher win total for this team than the vast majority of people, including Vegas and Vegas knows what the fuck they are doing)
Actually, Vegas knows their business, but they don't know football, or baseball or hockey, etc...they just look at what the fans are betting on, add their margin, and let the chips fall where they may. The illusion of the bettors, is that there really is knowledge in the background, it is just a crowd source. I based my 81 wins on three things, rookies, free agents and what the Cubs did leading up to 2016. The Cubs exceeded expectations in the 2015 post season (after a complete frame off restoration), I thought that might be a reasonable approach to 2023. They were also quite hot at the end of last year. I was also high on Nico Hoerner for 2023, he has come through with a .285 BA and 42 SB, so that was a pretty good guess on his performance.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Actually, Vegas knows their business, but they don't know football, or baseball or hockey, etc...they just look at what the fans are betting on, add their margin, and let the chips fall where they may. The illusion of the bettors, is that there really is knowledge in the background, it is just a crowd source. I based my 81 wins on three things, rookies, free agents and what the Cubs did leading up to 2016. The Cubs exceeded expectations in the 2015 post season (after a complete frame off restoration), I thought that might be a reasonable approach to 2023. They were also quite hot at the end of last year. I was also high on Nico Hoerner for 2023, he has come through with a .285 BA and 42 SB, so that was a pretty good guess on his performance.

Vegas will adjust their lines based on how fans bet. They don't set them that way.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Vegas will adjust their lines based on how fans bet. They don't set them that way.
Thankyou, I’m glad someone here has some knowledge.

Apparently, the other guy thinks bettors set the number for Vegas 😂😂😂

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
IMG_9312.gif

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
The line is fluid, as you say, but the opening line is not set on in house empirical knowledge about the event, there are a number of sources that odds makers use to set the opening lines, but most of the odds are set by the bettors. Let's look at football really quick, the Ducks played the Buffs Saturday. There was way more hype than there should have been, the opening lines were a solid but not spectacular win for the Ducks, then the more knowledgable gamblers stepped in to grab those odds. The ultimate spread was -21 for the Ducks, which they easily covered. I would say there were a lot of Buffalo happy bettors who lost some real change on this game. Have a great day, I gotta get home and beat the wife and kiss the dog...

Castor76

Liked Posts:
The line is fluid, as you say, but the opening line is not set on in house empirical knowledge about the event, there are a number of sources that odds makers use to set the opening lines, but most of the odds are set by the bettors. Let's look at football really quick, the Ducks played the Buffs Saturday. There was way more hype than there should have been, the opening lines were a solid but not spectacular win for the Ducks, then the more knowledgable gamblers stepped in to grab those odds. The ultimate spread was -21 for the Ducks, which they easily covered. I would say there were a lot of Buffalo happy bettors who lost some real change on this game. Have a great day, I gotta get home and beat the wife and kiss the dog...

If the line moved more in favor of a Ducks win, that means the majority of the bets were coming in on them to cover the initial line. Vegas moves their lines in accordance with where the action is coming in and they could care less about the actual outcome of any game as they are trying to get the action to balance out the bets coming in. Any time the move a line, it's to increase action towards the other team. The spread get's bigger, they want you betting the dog. It gets smaller, they want you betting the favorite. And they have generally very good ideas on those numbers beforehand.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I mean i feel like people put way too much emphasis on coaching in baseball and ironically not enough in stuff like football. Like most of being a manager is keeping your players as healthy as you can but it ultimately comes down to players performing. Literally anyone can go out there and manage kerry wood's 20 strike out game.

And for the record, cubs are 82-74 with 6 to play. Over under was like 75 wins before the start of the season and they lost stroman and bellinger for lengthy stints and also had no bullpen to start the year. Ross is fine at worse and as others have said better than that.
He is also just a good manager in the psychological way. I think what most people miss is Ross being able to help Suzuki become a top 3 offensive player the last month, and Happ has had his best season hitting by far (highest runs and rbi output, and 14 stolen bases). Hoerner also his best year as a pro, Madrgial becoming a surprise at 3b with his great glove and mediocre offense (one would have thought the opposite results), Morel becoming a more balance hitter at the plate, drastically lowering his K rate, which Bellinger drastically lowered as well. THis is just part of the lineup without talking about the pitching in any way.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Let's be clear about expectations for any team. They are either competing for a title, competing for a playoff spot, or just tying to get through the season. The Cubs were in the 2nd category and have done just that. Regardless of what else happens this season, they met the realistic expectations of the season. Neither Ross nor Jed are perfect, but I don' t think the guys running the Dodgers are going anywhere so how much better can the Cubs really get in those areas?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Let's be clear about expectations for any team. They are either competing for a title, competing for a playoff spot, or just tying to get through the season. The Cubs were in the 2nd category and have done just that. Regardless of what else happens this season, they met the realistic expectations of the season. Neither Ross nor Jed are perfect, but I don' t think the guys running the Dodgers are going anywhere so how much better can the Cubs really get in those areas?

Bad comp. Chicago is still a 2nd tier team. NYM showed that tossing cash at the problem is folly.

LAD has always self produced pitching so the need to spend on top tier outside of a rental is rather meaningless.

That is where Jed has improved but he needs to get away from buying starters after his pipeline gets going. Rentals are needed at times but Jed is better off gaining control of Steele and keep pushing up the next guy.

An ideal situation for Jed.

Stro takes the opt.
Jed let's Hendricks finish his deal.

Steele
Stroman
Tallion
Wicks
Hendricks

MR
Assad
Smyly
Killian
Brown

This gives David 4 guys to piggyback to the 8th pretty much every game.

Jed will need to test Little a bit more to see if he fits into the late inning mix with Alzolay and Marryweather. If not this is a clear need

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Overall I would say he did alright.

But he sure was stubborn about Sunday lineups, feeling he had to give everyone a certain number of starts as if it were little league, and about not playing youngsters down the stretch even just to rest veterans.

But I am not one who calls for his head on a spike.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Bad comp. Chicago is still a 2nd tier team. NYM showed that tossing cash at the problem is folly.

LAD has always self produced pitching so the need to spend on top tier outside of a rental is rather meaningless.

That is where Jed has improved but he needs to get away from buying starters after his pipeline gets going. Rentals are needed at times but Jed is better off gaining control of Steele and keep pushing up the next guy.

An ideal situation for Jed.

Stro takes the opt.
Jed let's Hendricks finish his deal.

Steele
Stroman
Tallion
Wicks
Hendricks

MR
Assad
Smyly
Killian
Brown

This gives David 4 guys to piggyback to the 8th pretty much every game.

Jed will need to test Little a bit more to see if he fits into the late inning mix with Alzolay and Marryweather. If not this is a clear need
I generally concur but, the Cubs don't win the 2016 world series without rented starters and one key reliever...I love Hendricks but, I don't think he can even be an effective innings eater any longer. He has never thrown with velocity but he has not even recovered wht he had before his shoulder injury. I hope I am wrong because I love watching batters try slow down to his stuff, and then hit weak grounders.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Overall I would say he did alright.

But he sure was stubborn about Sunday lineups, feeling he had to give everyone a certain number of starts as if it were little league, and about not playing youngsters down the stretch even just to rest veterans.

But I am not one who calls for his head on a spike.
You can’t complain about resting veterans and then complain about not resting veterans lol

Either you want to rest vets or not, can’t have it both ways