David Ross

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The only reason Ross gets launched is because the GM is totally inept. By not selling at the deadline and holding on too long to Stroman, he has Ross in a position where he must win with a team incapable of doing so. Hoyer's half assed attempt at buying was laughable. I said a month ago this was not a championship team but could slip in with all the slots now given out. To what end? Who are they gonna beat should they get there? Had the moron sold at the deadline, the kids would be playing daily and the rebuild would be continuing to move forward....now that's been set back and he's put a target on his managers head. If anyone should be fired, it's Hoyer....

Hoyer has done a far better job than expected when he was promoted.

I thought he shat the bed selling Darvish. But this farm was made through his handling. His hiring of a quality GM.

I am not a huge fan of his but I give him his due when saying that this team is because of him. The farm is due to him.

I think that we have to be real for a second here.

David was hired as a teener to keep the barge floating while Jed was rebuilding the system.

This year they over achieved due to Steele breaking out and Bellinger rebounding. And Jed making a major play to get Swanson.

But end of the day Jed is responsible for each guy being a part of the team.

So his job is pretty secure right now. The farm is deep and plenty of pending talent.

I just see David being better suited on a non transition team. I see some growing pains happening with PCA and Canario next year. But they have to get playing time and David has not shown that he will jeopardize his job for the future of the organization.

If Jed can get David on the same page and get him to trust the prosees cool. I like David and the players like playing for him. But if he keeps on benching development to add a useless bat..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If Jed goes soft with Bellinger and let's him walk on a deal that the Rickets would counter... ya fuck him then.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can dumb face it all day Die. This team is Jed's. Good and bad. You can't love PCA and not give Jed cred for trading for him. Casey is another. Canerio yet again. Jed trade.

He has hit far more than missed. Bellinger yet again. Targeting Swanson. Again.

We can go on here. Jed has done far better than he did under Theo.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
No, I’d be saying he needs to give wisdom the day off even if it’s a fucking Sunday. Stop playing wisdom just because it’s a goddamn Sunday.

Assad has been great.

Stroman has been dog shit.

Ross starts Stroman.

Stroman pitches like dog shit.

Assad comes in and pitches great.

Ross defenders: How could Ross have known?

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Good managers don’t give deference to a twice cast off clubhouse cancer over a younger pitcher who has been out pitching him for nearly half a season running.

But yet, here we are.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
And so instead you get miles mastrobouni…that really make you happier??

Like what 3B options does Ross currently have?? Jeimer and lil man madrigal have been hurt

Somebody has to play 3rd

Miles Mastrobouni is a better baseball player than Patrick Wisdom.

Wisdom is a defensive liability and the most likely outcome to starting him is 0-4 with 2 K’s

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not against starting Stroman.

I'll start with that.

Watching the same O go cold again is the ole brok'n record that David loves to play.

So yet again I'll put my feet up and just wait for the firing at the end of the season.

Not much else to say about it. When you have 2 easy series then have to have your back against the wall vs the Crew and the Braves. Ya excuses are bull shit. If you lose then win long term by playing your guys that need playing time. If you lose short term and lose long term on development...

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm not against starting Stroman.

I'll start with that.

Watching the same O go cold again is the ole brok'n record that David loves to play.

So yet again I'll put my feet up and just wait for the firing at the end of the season.

Not much else to say about it. When you have 2 easy series then have to have your back against the wall vs the Crew and the Braves. Ya excuses are bull shit. If you lose then win long term by playing your guys that need playing time. If you lose short term and lose long term on development...

With Steele sliding, Assad is probably our best pitcher.

What exactly about Stroman’s second half inspires someone to start him over Assad right now?

Assad’s only arguably bad start was in Coors field for fucks sake.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Assad is stretched out to start.

Assad had thrown 49 pitches through 4 innings of 2 hit No run ball.

Perfect time to take him out.

Once again, David Ross is the dumbest manager in baseball. And if you don’t see that, you might be dumb.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Wow who could have guessed that pulling a guy stretched out to start at 49 pitches after 2 hits in 4 innings would go poorly?

How could Ross have known?

😆😆😆😆😆😆

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With Steele sliding, Assad is probably our best pitcher.

What exactly about Stroman’s second half inspires someone to start him over Assad right now?

Assad’s only arguably bad start was in Coors field for fucks sake.

I didn't agree with Assad being slid over. But getting Stroman on track makes sense. He is going to be needed to have a snowballs chance in hell going forward

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wow who could have guessed that pulling a guy stretched out to start at 49 pitches after 2 hits in 4 innings would go poorly?

😆😆😆😆😆😆

I'm guessing that the thought process was Assad can help more by picking up middle innings 2-3 per week vs 1 game per 5.

So with that in mind 50 pitches is not a heavy load and he can be used again over the next few days. Get him up to 70-80 he is toast.

I do think that there is some behind the scenes stuff going on here.

Stro went on about he can be a weapon out of the pen

And the Athletic report that Stro will opt in for his final year.

So I'm thinking that this might be from above David to get Stro back into the rotation and on a regular routine again as they are going to be stuck with him for another year and no reason to wreck him again.

Add to it I trust Assad as a weapon more than Stro. Cubs can get back into games after the starter leaves. So having a strong middle relief pays off.

Thompson recalled Box reinjured

Castor76

Liked Posts:

😆😆😆😆😆😆

Wasn't pretty, but Merryweather did put up 0 in that inning. How could Ross have known?

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Wasn't pretty, but Merryweather did put up 0 in that inning. How could Ross have known?

You’d have to explain why it would ever make sense to pull a guy stretched to start at 49 pitches when he was dominating.

Merryweather is my favorite bullpen arm by a wide margin, but every reliever is always a variable as to whether they’ll have control that day or not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You’d have to explain why it would ever make sense to pull a guy stretched to start at 49 pitches when he was dominating.

Merryweather is my favorite bullpen arm by a wide margin, but every reliever is always a variable as to whether they’ll have control that day or not.

No need to burn his arm up. Milwaukee and Braves pending and you want him available

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You have to view Assad as a middle inning weapon right now. He has been pulled from the rotation.

Simple as that. He is young so he is less risk with a adjustment vs Stroman returning from injury pushed into a role that he is not suited for.

If Sto was bailing. I doubt Jed gives a ratz ass about him. But in view of him being your #2 next year you have to put him on a stable routine.

Next year is next. Assad has done great in a starter role. But he was also solid as middle inning guy and that has been a bigger issue

The game has changed a bit. In the past guys that we're not good enough to close or start fell into middle relief. That is not the case anymore. Teams are pulling starters after 5 more and keeping a deep staff with middle inning guys that throw hard.

It would not be a demotion at all. It is a need that he can fill.

Last edited:

Castor76

Liked Posts:

I would guess Assad has been tagged as BP use and Ross wanted to be able to call upon him as soon as he could versus needing to possibly wait 4 days, Big difference between Assad being available Tuesday in the first game with Atl versus having to wait until Thursday. It was a gamble. It got scary. It worked out.

I'd be more interested in what the Cubs plans are for the offseason considering Stroman is almost certain to opt in. He doesn't have a NTC so would the Cubs be willing to trade him just to free up CBT and rotation space? The Cubs are going to be in an interesting spot with respect to their rotation next year.

They could decide to ride with who they have under contract while picking up Hendricks' option. That eats up another 14.5M of CBT money but it also means the rotation is set , good or bad, and barring injury Horton, Brown, and others are in AAA for the year. Not saying I'd want this. Either way, I see them eating about 4-5M of Smyly and trading him for next to nothing to open up a roster spot if he doesn't opt out. Hendricks wasn't stellar this year but wasn't horrible either. He's had 4 starts this year giving up 4 or more ER. Another 6 giving up 3. Not special, but enough to possibly warrant the 16M he'd cost for 2024. That would be Steele, Stroman, Hendricks, Taillion, Wicks/Assad for a rotation leaving about 64M for FA if they don't shed Smyly's deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would guess Assad has been tagged as BP use and Ross wanted to be able to call upon him as soon as he could versus needing to possibly wait 4 days, Big difference between Assad being available Tuesday in the first game with Atl versus having to wait until Thursday. It was a gamble. It got scary. It worked out.

I'd be more interested in what the Cubs plans are for the offseason considering Stroman is almost certain to opt in. He doesn't have a NTC so would the Cubs be willing to trade him just to free up CBT and rotation space? The Cubs are going to be in an interesting spot with respect to their rotation next year.

They could decide to ride with who they have under contract while picking up Hendricks' option. That eats up another 14.5M of CBT money but it also means the rotation is set , good or bad, and barring injury Horton, Brown, and others are in AAA for the year. Not saying I'd want this. Either way, I see them eating about 4-5M of Smyly and trading him for next to nothing to open up a roster spot if he doesn't opt out. Hendricks wasn't stellar this year but wasn't horrible either. He's had 4 starts this year giving up 4 or more ER. Another 6 giving up 3. Not special, but enough to possibly warrant the 16M he'd cost for 2024. That would be Steele, Stroman, Hendricks, Taillion, Wicks/Assad for a rotation leaving about 64M for FA if they don't shed Smyly's deal.

It makes sense to do this. I see Wicks and Assad moved into the pen with Smyly if they make it to the post season. This keeps the starters on a short leash.

Next year I see Brown also in middle relief to keep the starters innings lower. a 13 man staff is common and teams are using this method now. Jed will need to utilize those roles for younger starters.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
It makes sense to do this. I see Wicks and Assad moved into the pen with Smyly if they make it to the post season. This keeps the starters on a short leash.

Next year I see Brown also in middle relief to keep the starters innings lower. a 13 man staff is common and teams are using this method now. Jed will need to utilize those roles for younger starters.

Wicks and Assad are two of our best pitchers at the moment.

What would your playoff rotation be?

Steele, Hendricks, Stroman, Taillon?

Yuck. Lol. I guess there’s no way to design it in a way that makes it sound formidable.

But you still should start your best pitchers. Stroman and Taillon are two of our worst at the moment.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And so instead you get miles mastrobouni…that really make you happier??

Like what 3B options does Ross currently have?? Jeimer and lil man madrigal have been hurt

Somebody has to play 3rd
I’m not talking about the last Sunday I’m talking about the whole year. Patrick wisdom is my plan every friggin Sunday for months.

And he has a two run homer to give us the lead today😂