DeShaun Watson - Crunching the Numbers

Should the Bears trade for Watson

• Total voters

msadows

Liked Posts:
Its not a lateral move....alot of people on here said this will be a playoff team if Watson was on it, so itll be an upgrade for him

No, it wouldn't, because we would have to get rid of a lot of our talent to get under the cap and keep him.

It would basically be a bit better then the texans.....But with no first rounders for the next few years.

Screw it, do it anyways.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Well it was a playoff team without him.

But if you trade for him you need to figure out a way to pay him 40m, and then fix the holes on this team without any 1st and 2nd round picks for the next few years.

Not to mention on top of all of that you need him to want to come here.

Not sure why he'd come to chicago over a place like San Fran or Indy who could both absorb his contract and have more talent than us to win now....He wants to win, not be in mediocrity for 4 more years.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, there is zero way watson costs only 2 first rounders, lol. I'm sure its already been brought up....

Rosen got a 2nd rounder and he's dog shit.

If it only costs 2 first rounders then yes, you do it in an instant. It won't, tho.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I despair of some of the opinions on here

The Bears need to build out a roster with young high quality talent before mortgaging the farm on a QB, anything else is basically fools gold.

They also need to stop spanking money on veteran talent that stops younger players coming through.

Watson is not becoming a Bear anytime soon, or likely ever

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But if you trade for him you need to figure out a way to pay him 40m, and then fix the holes on this team without any 1st and 2nd round picks for the next few years.

Not to mention on top of all of that you need him to want to come here.

Not sure why he'd come to chicago over a place like San Fran or Indy who could both absorb his contract and have more talent than us to win now....He wants to win, not be in mediocrity for 4 more years.

Logic is an amazing thing isnt it?

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
Not until we get rid of the coaching staff

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Fun fact, Watson's 1st quarter QB rating was 92.7 with a 61.7 completion percentage. 4 tds. Mitch, who is garbage, had a 104.6 rating, 67.2% completion percentage and 3 tds.

It would cost much less to trade up in the draft and get a quarterback.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Fun fact, Watson's 1st quarter QB rating was 92.7 with a 61.7 completion percentage. 4 tds. Mitch, who is garbage, had a 104.6 rating, 67.2% completion percentage and 3 tds.

I mean, to get wilson/fields it would probably cost just as much in draft capital, but instead of paying 40m to your qb you'd be paying 9m.....

You could sign Arob AND get yourself a stud LT in FA for that 30m you save.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watson does not cost 40m. He costs 10.5m next year then 37m, 32m, 32m. That works out to 27 million a year.

So his contract is actually good for us. He is cheap as fuck next year and then gets expensive in 2022 when we will have over 100m in cap space.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Is that really you best offer? NO way is what I think Texans would say to that.

I think if I am the Texans GM I would be looing for
2021 1st. 2nd, 5th
2022 1st, 2nd
2023 1st, 5th

or

2021 1st, 3rd, 5th
2022 2nd, 3rd
WR Mooney
MLB Smith

EDIT

BTW I really enjoyed the thread, but you need to be more realistic with the offer. Basically, you are saying a top 5 QB in his prime with 4 year left on his contract for only 2 or 3 late 1st? seriously!??

I would do the first option all day. It’s a ton of capital but Watson is on a HOF trajectory, the offense will have pieces and a functional OL and the D will be decent enough after pagano is gone and with an offense that doesn’t make gouging your eyes out seem like a good idea

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

Fun Fact : The Bears scored one td with Mitch at qb in the first quarter for the entire 2019 season

Stop fricken embarrassing yourselves for this guy

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

If I'm Ryan Pace, I'm calling the Texans today and seeing what it would take. No matter the answer, it has to be under consideration I would think. Personally, if Pace has plans to trade up for a QB in the draft I'd rather he gave up a few more picks for a stud than a rookie.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They also need to stop spanking money on veteran talent that stops younger players coming through.
Do you know why they keep "spanking money on veteran talent"?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It would be nice if someone would sit down and interview Watson, so we can get to the bottom of all these rumors

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Ive still yet to see one person address what could Ryan Pace say to Watson to get him to waive his trade clause and join the bears when Pace didnt think the guy was good enough to even sit down and have dinner with .

Watsons people wouldn't even pick up the phone for us .

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Leno is an adequate LT? Tell me more.
Leno sux I have taped and watched plenty of games to see he is below average. the only thing keeping him active is we have nothing better right now.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Eh, the reality is Watson is largely already a finished product and excelled under a worse coach in BOB. So I give zero fucks about Nagy in this scenario. If he is available, you absolutely have to fucking do this. Bears are a Super Bowl contender with Watson IMO as he not only helps the O but he would completely re-energize the D IMO especially if we keep Fuller and Hicks.
Watson makes us pretenders still. It's a joke.