Did Mitch improve from Game 1 to Game 2?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
That had fuck all to do with him missing WRs when they were wide fucking open.

Ya'll try to blame everything on learning curve which is bullshit. Did his read cause him to underthrow ARob?

The problem he has looked bad even when he makes the right reads.

it has to do with comfort level.....when you are learning things and a lot of things are new even simple tasks can get complicated.....if the comfort level does not get better over the next few weeks then you can worry about the sky falling...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Small sample size.

Judging Jared Goff at this exact point in his career would have left you pretty underwhelmed.

And it would have been fair to say he looked like shit. I make no predictions on his future. I am saying he has played poorly thus far. When he starts playing well i will give him credit but I will not preemptively give him credit by assuming he will be good in some undetermined future.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
it has to do with comfort level.....when you are learning things and a lot of things are new even simple tasks can get complicated.....if the comfort level does not get better over the next few weeks then you can worry about the sky falling...

Or he could just suck. Time will tell.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
there were about 3 wide oen throws I can think of that he missed.....if remember last week he wasn't even throwing to some of the wide open throws.....

so while it may have looked worse this week, he actually was making better reads.

I think his vision is very good. He just has to start being more accurate

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If shovel pass TDS don’t count then Mahomes didn’t throw 6 TD passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. That's how people rationalize team stats away to say what they want. That shovel pass was excluded above. I guess it wasn't enough of a pass (unless of course it's Rodgers who screws us with a shovel then the same people want a QB who has that kind of vision).
How many TDs a QB throws isn't as big of an issue of how good the QB is as people make it to be. If you have a great RB the coach calls plays for the RB to take it in, same reward, lower risk. TD passes is as bad as "all he does is win".

By the time, if it ever happens, Trubisky is the one making the calls he's a great one who has earned the respect of the HC to be allowed to decide if he wants to throw it in or have the RB run it in.

cd35

Liked Posts:
No, he did not improve and it's concerning. What's most concerning is the kid gloves he's being treated with as people are making excuses like this is his rookie season, it's not. But he looks like it is most of the time.

Nagy had to take the ball out of his hands in the second half, which is why the offense started to move the ball again. I don't know how many running plays they have for Gabriel but they probably used most of them. Don't use Jordan Howard though bc him running all over won't help the passing game open up.

The amount of inaccuracy, inability to read the field and see the open receivers and the immediate panic and happy feet are not good signs.

Does that mean he's an immediate bust? No. Can he just be a slow developer? Sure. But the fact is he is nowhere where he should be at this time

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The biggest issue I have is the fact that he can't progress his reads while still in the pocket. If the 1st target is not there, he immediately has to dance around before he looks elsewhere. And even if the next read is open, his mechanics go to shit and he can't get off an accurate throw.

jc456

Liked Posts:
do you honestly need me to write a dissertation on the difference between a John Fox coached offense vs an RPO Matt Nagy offense

four lineman rush the QB, three linebackers watch the backs and cover tight ends, and the four DBs watch the WR and TE's. What is different? just because the receivers run different routes? Mitch still needs to know which defender goes where. That's the presnap read. Mitch should know the routes, therefore he should know when the ball is snapped where the openings are at if it's a pass. it isn't fking rocket science. You act as if they're making a space craft on the field. nope, running to get open. I'll agree to disagree.

BTW, the pitch to Burton was perfect. That's a new play this year. didn't look like that was soo difficult for Trubs to read. Why not run it a couple of three more times? why archive it after it worked?

BTW, what the heck happened to the slant pass?

jc456

Liked Posts:
If shovel pass TDS don’t count then Mahomes didn’t throw 6 TD passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So KC runs a successful play more than once? Forget that here in Bear land. If there is ever a successful play, that baby gets tucked away for fking ever.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Here is what we hope for

Weeks 1-4: Defense carries the offense and offense gets this shit out of their system

Weeks 5-8: Defense continues to be elite, Offense is consistent and average

Weeks 8-11: Defense continues to be elite, Offense becomes above average

Weeks 12-16: Defense is elite, but no longer needs to be, Offense is consistently a threat

That would be an ideal progression for this season and how the Bears can be playing real football in December.

This is highly optimistic. A more reasonable timeline would look like:

Season 1: defense carries the offense and offense gets all the shit out of the system
Season 2: defense continues to be elite and offense is consistent but average
Season 3: defense begins to falter due to wear and tear and offense is still average
Season 4: defense is on the decline and offense is the top 10 in output in the league

Summary: team's window closes very quickly due to lack of a QB to accompany an elite defense (typical Chicago Bears)

Trubisky would have to play another 2-3 seasons to see as much football as guys like Watson and Mahomes did due to college. It's so much more challenging to learn how to be a QB at the NFL level. Trubisky lacks the foundation that most QBs entering the league have by playing a lot in college. NCAA isn't the NFL, but snaps build confidence (success at the NCAA level helps too) and that foundation both in terms of snaps and success are big glaring holes that Trubisky had entering the NFL.

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is highly optimistic. A more reasonable timeline would look like:

Season 1: defense carries the offense and offense gets all the shit out of the system
Season 2: defense continues to be elite and offense is consistent but average
Season 3: defense begins to falter due to wear and tear and offense is still average
Season 4: defense is on the decline and offense is the top 10 in output in the league

Summary: team's window closes very quickly due to lack of a QB to accompany an elite defense (typical Chicago Bears)

Trubisky would have to play another 2-3 seasons to see as much football as guys like Watson and Mahomes did due to college. It's so much more challenging to learn how to be a QB at the NFL level. Trubisky lacks the foundation that most QBs entering the league have by playing a lot in college. NCAA isn't the NFL, but snaps build confidence (success at the NCAA level helps too) and that foundation both in terms of snaps and success are big glaring holes that Trubisky had entering the NFL.

This is why you don’t trade up to draft Trubisky then. You stay at 3, keep your draft picks & draft a QB who is ready (e.g. Watson, Mahomes)

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
four lineman rush the QB, three linebackers watch the backs and cover tight ends, and the four DBs watch the WR and TE's. What is different? just because the receivers run different routes? Mitch still needs to know which defender goes where. That's the presnap read. Mitch should know the routes, therefore he should know when the ball is snapped where the openings are at if it's a pass. it isn't fking rocket science. You act as if they're making a space craft on the field. nope, running to get open. I'll agree to disagree.

BTW, the pitch to Burton was perfect. That's a new play this year. didn't look like that was soo difficult for Trubs to read. Why not run it a couple of three more times? why archive it after it worked?

BTW, what the heck happened to the slant pass?

I would guess you don't run the same play over and over because then the defense stops it...it was the right call at the time on an over-pursuing team at the goal line....situational football.

The seattle defense was not giving the slant pass...they were giving more side of the field plays...go back and look...their LBs were stuffing up the center. Mitch had to throw to the sidelines and did a decent job of it.....there were two slant throws one was a completion the other was tipped....The Cohen pass was supposed to be a slant but it got broken up and Trubisky had to improvise that pass to Cohen down the field.

jc456

Liked Posts:
This is why you don’t trade up to draft Trubisky then. You stay at 3, keep your draft picks & draft a QB who is ready (e.g. Watson, Mahomes)

that's ok, you got a GM with no experience GMing, drafting a player that has no experience of Playing.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I notice that when he rolled out and lofted that throw to cohen that it was perfect, he is definitely more comfortable outside the pocket and playing "street ball".

Nagy said during training camp they were feeding him a barrage of the new offense to see what he could retain, maybe that was the wrong approach. Maybe you find what he's good at...install plays that highlight that and work on his weak spots in practice and then install different things as you go. Where have all the down the seam 15 yard darts that he threw last year to Inman and Wright gone?

jc456

Liked Posts:
I would guess you don't run the same play over and over because then the defense stops it...it was the right call at the time on an over-pursuing team at the goal line....situational football.

The seattle defense was not giving the slant pass...they were giving more side of the field plays...go back and look...their LBs were stuffing up the center. Mitch had to throw to the sidelines and did a decent job of it.....there were two slant throws one was a completion the other was tipped....The Cohen pass was supposed to be a slant but it got broken up and Trubisky had to improvise that pass to Cohen down the field.

thanks. However, I didn't say run the play over and over, I said why not a couple of three more times. You seem to be saying if something works once, archive it and never run it again cause they might stop it if you ran it over and over. Well they sure as shit run the same run play over and over and guess what, they stopped it over and over again. hey, I'm just a fan, but shit, I saw where this play worked once, maybe run it a second time some other series. That is and what has chaffed me with the Bears for over ten years now. They never run a play that was successful once a second time in a game. Shit, sometimes they don't run it again for games. It's stupid to me.

I see other teams exploit the bear defense with the same play over and over and guess what, it always works. maybe trying something that worked once more than once might actually work.

jc456

Liked Posts:
I notice that when he rolled out and lofted that throw to cohen that it was perfect, he is definitely more comfortable outside the pocket and playing "street ball".

Nagy said during training camp they were feeding him a barrage of the new offense to see what he could retain, maybe that was the wrong approach. Maybe you find what he's good at...install plays that highlight that and work on his weak spots in practice and then install different things as you go. Where have all the down the seam 15 yard darts that he threw last year to Inman and Wright gone?

holy fk. dude that was an amazing paragraph. No one could have said that any better. Again, however, it isn't bear football. The secret to bear football is avoid success.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Exactly. IMO, Learning a new offense does not interfere with the flow of the game. Once the ball is snapped, the flow of the game is the same. I'm not giving up on Trubs, but not hitting open receivers is not due to a new offense. Over throwing receivers is not due to a new offense. Speed of the game will always be the speed of the game. Trubs needs to feel the game. I think 14 games is enough time to know the speed of the game.

Drew Brees 14th game
22 of 41, 53.7% 239yds 5.8avg 0TD 3INT 40.6rate

Peyton Manning
19 of 27, 70.4% 159yds 5.9Avg 2TD 2INT 79.1rate

Tom Brady
19 of 35, 54.3% 237yds 6.8avg 0TD 1INT 63.6rate

maybe a little more time is needed for Mitch to figure it out?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

They did that in spots...the TD to Miller was a rollout...I saw three designed rollouts....2 completions and one tuck and run for 6 yards. Another was a first down to Burton