Did Mitch improve from Game 1 to Game 2?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mitch looked better....I guess...but people comparing him to Goff or Wentz are missing the idea that both of those guys had a massive volume of throws in college Mitch didn't have. The developmental curve should be expected to be different.

It is because of the second overall pick...I think people see that and just expect him to be at a certain level regardless of his previous experience or current situation......

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mitch looked better....I guess...but people comparing him to Goff or Wentz are missing the idea that both of those guys had a massive volume of throws in college Mitch didn't have. The developmental curve should be expected to be different.

Even they were not great in their first starts [Goff]/season [Wentz].

The volume of throws is a good way of putting it. We need to see Trubisky with a reasonable volume of throws before we make any decisions on him. Right now we are seeing some serious growing pains because he has so few live repetitions of these plays.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is because of the second overall pick...I think people see that and just expect him to be at a certain level regardless of his previous experience or current situation......

People aren't very smart.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want to be positive about Trubisky and his trajectory also but I need to see more. Everyone who says he will get better the more he learns the offense, I counter that the more he shows he can't handle pressure in the pocket the more teams will gameplan him to keep him from escaping and taking away his tendacies (first read).

Remember, he was never game planned in College or the NFL due to his lack of work resume. That is about to change and we don't know if he can adapt and grow. It's why 1 year college wonders rarely succeed in the NFL.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No improvement and he is what he is, a guy who can't play at the NFL level. I'd compare him to the likes of a Matt Leinart. Didn't take long to see that top 10 pick just didn't have NFL caliber talent. It shouldn't take long with Trubisky either, it's that obvious.

These are the types of takes I don't get.... I personally don't think it's even debatable the kid has NFL talent. And here's someone that feels the complete opposite. It's like we're watching different games. I mean I get the angst. And I get that if he doesn't improve and performs like he is now he'll be a bust. But doesn't have NFL caliber talent? GTFO.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to answer for remy, but to answer your question, it wouldn't be a bad thing right? No, no one is expecting trubs to be rodgers. What some of us want is to see the dude make throws that are there. that's it. No need to over think it or coach it. just hit the open receivers. Some interceptions are acceptable, it's why some of cutler's I didn't have a problem with, he anticipated often on a receiver breaking open and the receivers quit running. When a receiver is open, get the ball there. that's it.

BTW, that's all rodger's really does. He does it really well. Probably the best I've ever seen. Even better than Brady. I think I've seen the acronym GOAT.

we'd all love Trubisky to make all the right reads and hit the open receivers.....but when you have a million things going on in a new offense even simple tasks are harder......as the game slows down and he gets more comfortable....and it isn't like he was constantly missing guys.......he will get to those open guys more often.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
You clearly get triggered when I post, and your pitiful, whiny responses to me are like an annoying insect flying around. So why not do us both a favor and just stop reading my posts?

Just ignore me if you are gonna be such a whiny baby about it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I want to be positive about Trubisky and his trajectory also but I need to see more. Everyone who says he will get better the more he learns the offense, I counter that the more he shows he can't handle pressure in the pocket the more teams will gameplan him to keep him from escaping and taking away his tendacies (first read).

Remember, he was never game planned in College or the NFL due to his lack of work resume. That is about to change and we don't know if he can adapt and grow. It's why 1 year college wonders rarely succeed in the NFL.

He made more positive plays with his feet last night than plays where he bailed to early.

As he gets more comfortable he will trust the play more and not bail. The problem is right now that he hasn't had enough repetitions going through these progressions to trust them for the extra second.

If you run a play 100x against a ton of different defenses your reaction time will improve. The thinking goes out of it and you work of memory.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just ignore me if you are gonna be such a whiny baby about it.
I do. I don't initially respond to your posts, you respond to mine, always to complain. You're still doing it. Go away.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Even they were not great in their first starts [Goff]/season [Wentz].

The volume of throws is a good way of putting it. We need to see Trubisky with a reasonable volume of throws before we make any decisions on him. Right now we are seeing some serious growing pains because he has so few live repetitions of these plays.

Trubisky has less throws with the Bears in two seasons(399) than he had in his final year of college(447).

Trubs threw 572 passes in college.

Wentz: 612(missed half his Sr. Season)...he then threw over 600 passes in his rookie season..
Goff: 1568 passes in college

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Improve, regress, it's a team game. "He" improved being able to hit AR, the oline looked better which could be the reason he improved there. Timing with the WRs gets better "he" improves.
Shovel pass, that doesn't count because reasons. RB runs it in, that's not the QB.

He hasn't learned when to run and when to stay. But he did step up into the pocket better but that's still not saying much.

The interception was Grossman. If you're going to miss that miss deep. That he needs to learn that is scary. Just as scary is it being an accuracy issue (again all Grossman).
The endzone not an interception was Cutler. Tunnel vision and too much faith in his arm.
Those were not improvements.

Yes the offense improved but I'm not sure how much Trubisky's game has improved as far as the guy who doesn't make the same mistake twice.
Still has those throws that show potential. Still shows potential to be bad too. My faith he can be great has regressed to he should be good enough.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Mitch - 572 college attempts
Goff - 1568 college attempts
Wentz - 612 college attempts
Watson - 1207 college attempts
Darnold - 846 college attempts
Mayfield - 1497 college attempts

Edit; Just saw your post above. Sry for the overkill.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Improve, regress, it's a team game. "He" improved being able to hit AR, the oline looked better which could be the reason he improved there. Timing with the WRs gets better "he" improves.
Shovel pass, that doesn't count because reasons. RB runs it in, that's not the QB.

He hasn't learned when to run and when to stay. But he did step up into the pocket better but that's still not saying much.

The interception was Grossman. If you're going to miss that miss deep. That he needs to learn that is scary. Just as scary is it being an accuracy issue (again all Grossman).
The endzone not an interception was Cutler. Tunnel vision and too much faith in his arm.
Those were not improvements.

Yes the offense improved but I'm not sure how much Trubisky's game has improved as far as the guy who doesn't make the same mistake twice.
Still has those throws that show potential. Still shows potential to be bad too. My faith he can be great has regressed to he should be good enough.

If shovel pass TDS don’t count then Mahomes didn’t throw 6 TD passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
These are the types of takes I don't get.... I personally don't think it's even debatable the kid has NFL talent. And here's someone that feels the complete opposite. It's like we're watching different games. I mean I get the angst. And I get that if he doesn't improve and performs like he is now he'll be a bust. But doesn't have NFL caliber talent? GTFO.

There's a few people on here, like you and Windy, that refuse to take a side on this, and want to sit back and let it progress, or not progress. I am with you 100% on this. Did my stomach drop a couple of times last night? Absolutely. But it is totally to be expected. We are blessed with a lights out defense (my true love) which like Windy as pointed out numerous times buys time for development (or the lack of it). This has been going for years on these message boards, Thomas Jones vs. Benson, Orton/Grossman, pro or anti Cutler, Pro or anti Lovie, pro or anti Emery/Trestman. For the most part each and every game, everybody sees it their way, and it goes on and on.

Right now, this board is kind of a downer. For me, I could not be more thrilled that we are back, appreciate the fact that we have a top defense, and be hopeful that the offense does a bit of catching up as we move through the season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was screaming at Trubisky on a couple of plays. He was horrible on some plays.

But there will be failures before there is success.

He missed a wide open Gabriel, it may have been a TD, but at the same time he saw it on time. He saw Robinson and it was the right read, but he under threw it. So, people are saying he is not seeing the field, he is, he is just missing some throws.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's not just assume that he will get better as he gets more pass attempts. If every QB got better the more reps they had than there would be no such thing as a bust.

More reps will equal more tendacies on tape. DEF coordinators will get to game plan to take away his tendacies. We don't yet know how Mitch will respond to this. Love it, hate it, truth.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
so now you want Trubisky to look like Aaron Rodgers after 13 years in his second year.......

I didn't make the Rodgers comparison. Windy did. If he is going to mention Rodgers bad first half then it is entirely fair for me to point out his second half.

Games are 60 minutes not 30 last I checked.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let's not just assume that he will get better as he gets more pass attempts. If every QB got better the more reps they had than there would be no such thing as a bust.

More reps will equal more tendacies on tape. DEF coordinators will get to game plan to take away his tendacies. We don't yet know how Mitch will respond to this. Love it, hate it, truth.

Lets not assume that they won't.

Most people, regardless of task, will improve with repetitions.

The real question is what ceiling will Trubisky max out at once he gets the reps? Personally, I see a guy with really good physical tools and a guy who can make plays when he is off script, which makes me think when he improves on script and in the pocket we will see a jump.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

No one is saying it's a given.... but it is the more likely scenario. Especially given that Nagy has proven he knows how to teach the QB position.