Disc golf (frisbee golf)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ow!!!

I dropped a toothpick earlier, I tried to catch it.

I did catch it but I ended up putting one end into my palm and the other into the tip of my middle finger.

Finger hurts like hell and is pretty swollen. I've got it in ice to see if that helps the swelling.

I was getting my forehand down pretty good too.

This sucks, my finger looks like a cartoon hand just hit by a hammer minus the redness.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't even know what disc I want to do my turtle disc with yet but I do have fairly big design plans.

Here's my dollar sign on my MONEY soft anode blank.

IMG_1139.jpg

Dyeing on the bottom was a bitch, that's why I got that bleed at the top.

Also some shitty spots on my hand cut and the dye didn't take solid for some reason, but it did give me a marbling like effect. You can see it is darker on right side.

A friend and I split a box of misprinted discs on a cheap deal.

Here's a clear midrange (mis-stamped as a putter) I marbled with red dye and plastic chips from work as texture base.

IMG_1129.jpg

I added some orange the next day, even let it sit much longer and it still barely turned up at all, but it is there. Orange came out better with my painting method.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The world championships were this week in NC.

The amateur winner is from near Bloomington.

8th place is from Gurnee.

43rd place in pro division is one of the guys that designed our course.

He's from Ottawa.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMG_20120720_200953.jpg

I like how it turned out!

Also found a contact (not local one I had hoped for) to do my plotter work.

Now only to narrow down what designs I want done to 5 to 8.

Found more local players today and some of them might even be suckers for dyed discs that I can fleece.

I would rather just trade for hallucinogens.
<

bri

Liked Posts:
IMG_20120720_200953.jpg

I like how it turned out!

Also found a contact (not local one I had hoped for) to do my plotter work.

Now only to narrow down what designs I want done to 5 to 8.

Found more local players today and some of them might even be suckers for dyed discs that I can fleece.

I would rather just trade for hallucinogens.
<

Those could mess up your mind. Just get a lava lamp or something.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yay! We might be getting Illinois doubles championships soon!!!

Ton

Liked Posts:
Cool disc's Jam! I've never played. How many times have you hit the course now and which do you recommend?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.innovadis...c-golf-faq.html

There's an FAQ to start with.

I've played our local course maybe a dozen times since it opened up last month. I stop now and then and just play a hole or two or three on my lunch break or on my way home from work.

What would I recommend? Like for discs?

To start off, I would say stay away from high speed distance drivers for awhile until you have good form and consistency with "slower" discs.

It is advice that I am now taking after a bit over a year of playing.

Early on, you will only throw distance drivers as UGLY throws the don't go far at all, rise WAY up, then dive HARD and left.

I happens to me, so I'm just gonna dye these high speed drivers I have and let em sit until I develop the arm speed and good clean form need for em.

As far as what to start with though....

I would carry an Innova leopard fairway driver. I have never seen an experienced player say this isn't a good choice for beginners.

Then I would carry a midrange or two. I am told over and over again that a ROC is about the most popular mid and pretty damn versatile, many players carry several in different sates of wear. As they get worn and broken in (from hitting trees and such) they become less stable, same with all discs really.

Putt & approach, for approaches I can't recommend the MVP Anode enough. That is by far the straightest flying and finishing disc I have ever thrown.

Putt/approach for putting is personal preference. Find what feels good in your hand at a store (play it again sports or MC sports) or better yet, a friendly player at a course is likely to let you check out their putters and probably try a few out if they're not assholes.

Here's a course locator site, and the forums there are loaded with helpful info and people, and yes, some assholes too.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/

Oh, and another shameless plug for our awesome local course here, it's about time we have something badass in this fucking town.

http://www.dgcourser...id=5506&mode=ci

I hope you can make it out there and play sometime. I find it to be hard as hell, but damn it feels good when you get off a good clean throw you just know is good as it leaves your hand and flies away.

Then it hits a tree and bounces behind another one, leaving you with a giant tree between your next shot and the basket.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love our local back nine!!!!

So many trees! 12 is a 530' bitch with trees on the left and TREES on the right, basket is around a dogleg at end.

15 is awesome. I know, I've said it before, but DAMN! What a hole!!!! I got halfway down the downhill tee shot then threw a sweet anny with my "$" disc to put me right in middle of fairway. then I turned over an attempted hyzer flip that caught an edge and turned into a roller.

It was goin left, right towards the nasty creek, then BAM! it hit the old rusted out half shed that is inexplicably there...........whew, almost lost my cheap light hyzer flip / turnover mid.

I throw it with good form and "snap" and I out drive myself & my friend with our driver throws.

I'm fucking hooked! I will be at park playing, or hopefully waiting for small groups to play with and exchange our "knowledge", preferably with attractive and friendly women.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illinois championships are this weekend.

Dana Vicich that co-designed our course got 2nd, guy from Indiana won, boo!

Dana is ranked 43rd in the world. Hope to run into him sometime when he is here and not on road playing tourneys.

Couple younger guys about 20 or so that helped get our course built are playing in intermediate AM division tomorrow.

Hope they do us proud!

Oh, and our 12 year olds won state in baseball. Onto great lakes regional, little league world series if they win that.

Not a baseball fan but good on the kids.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just played two rounds out in Jackson Hole. Damn I forgot how hard this can be with some wind!

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure, the old "blame the wind" trick.
<

Ran into a couple players from out of town today. They were enjoying the course and hadn't even seen back 9 yet.

Caught up with a group of 4 local 18-20ish kids on back 9 yesterday. They were carrying one disc each. All warp speed drivers.

60 foot sky meathooks. Ugly.

Oh well, they were having fun, they might learn someday.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Threw my best round at our course today. 71 playing rec pars. +4 on front 9 ties my best and I managed +1 on back 9 and even got par (7) on our monster 855' dogleg. Yay!

I guess that made up for throwing my $20 glow disc (that I also dyed) into the creek.

I'm pretty sure I can find a kid down there or use a friend's kid to fish it out, I'll just offer kid a few bucks.

My putting has gotten better using the "turbo putt". It looks really weird, it is kind of like shooting a freethrow or tossing a ball but it works for me.

There was a group of players between 11 and 12 that saw me putt it on 11 for birdie, when I walked by them they were all trying it. I stopped and showed them how, then went on to tame that back 9 somewhat.

I was pretty consistently throwing around 180 - 200 feet on drives, I learned that I am pivoting on the ball of my foot and not the heel. Pivoting on the heel has gotten me more in the 200 - 230 foot range. I figure as I work out my form issues and improve my run-up I will gain more distance with each thing I get right.

I'll start playing the pro pars (same tees, just different par) when I can consistently and accurately drive 300'.

It is pretty strange, I'm not really that good but I think I could beat anyone I ran into out there. A couple out of towners and a couple locals I've met would probably go 50-50 with me.

Played most of the course with a younger guy and his girlfriend this morning, his 1st time playing it, his girlfriend didn't play. He only had one disc, but at least it wasn't a warp speed bomber driver like those other kids, he had a sensible fairway driver, Innova DX Eagle. I didn't keep his score but I threw a bit better than him.

A couple guys with their sons of around 8 to 10 throwing frisbees let me play through, the kids were looking through my bag and loved my marbled and painted orange and blue midrange. They all looked a bit stunned when I threw a sweet hyzer flip to bomb (for me) straight down the middle about 220'.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got my stencils today. Worked out a good deal with a guy on DG forum.

I have my turtle disc sitting on dye now. After 90 minutes it has barely taken dye.

I will let it sit overnight and check in the morning.

Two other discs are on stencils waiting to dye tomorrow.

I'm gonna go buy a cheap big frying pan and do "hot dip" method, then it will be a matter of minutes for dye to set well.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welly well well, this one turned out alright.

IMG_20120818_185712.jpg

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Moved my photos so now links are broken.

Here are some of my dyes:

156 blizzard krait:

IMG_20120818_185712.jpg

174 MVP Axis:

IMG_20120819_094011.jpg

137 blizzard krait (floats for hole 15):

IMG_20120818_225229.jpg

166 glow champ leopard (made some glue lines and painted sections different colors):

glow_leo.jpg

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fucking leaves bury my discs!

Lost a really nice dyed glow driver and a putter within 3 days.

I am planning on playing through the winter as long as it is not TOO cold or TOO much snow.

I will get some cold weather gear and probably avoid the steep holes here that could be dangerous when slippery.

Bag setup of glow discs is set for the early darkness now, but I don't think they will be very good in daylight + snow.

Love my new winter putter already!

Vibram soft summit.

1348690026.jpg

So soft, so grippy, indestructable!

Had to work (then sleep) last Saturday, so I didn't get to see any of Illinois doubles championship here.

Saw one guy play some of front 9 after it seemed everyone in 1st group had finished and damn that guy could throw. wow!

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The weather has been fucking great!

I took half day at work today to "let my new guy prove himself on his own", but really to go play our course a couple times.

(He could've called me if he had any problems as course is less than 5 minutes from work.)

I've been bringing different shots into my arsenal with some pretty good results.

I love hyzer flipping and still do often, but I am learning the usefulness of the S curve shot with more stable/overstable plastic.

I even brought back a short thumber shot to have a chance at shots outside of my putting range. When I need it, I usually have a chance at chains or it just parks for easy next putt.

Love my soft Vibram Summit each time I play. Oh so soft and grabs chains quite well, but best is that on misses it usually stops dead.

Very handy on our sloped greens.

Turbo putt rules!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvAugwYBtI[/media]

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love my new bag!

$200 disc golf backpack?

Hell no!

$50 "fishing" backpack!

IMG_20121208_205750.jpg

I have 18 discs in the bottom and 2 putters in my "putter pocket" on top.

It also has lots of other handy storage compartments.

The only modifications I've made are a couple paperclips pushed through on the bottom compartment to keep it from unzipping all the way, I can leave unzipped between holes or shots and not have it all dump out now. Tied the two zippers together with a short length of paracord so I can pull both closed with one hand. I also strapped two very sharp knives to it. The smaller is visible in this pic on the right and accessible to my right hand. The other is strapped horizontal across the bottom compartment flap and accessible to my left hand. (group of one disc wonders that play here, they are dangerous and have almost hit me a couple times, when they do or get TOO close, I am cutting the damn disc in half.)

Played a nearby course today and saw my friend hit his first ace. Off a fucking tree even, it was amazing!

"Too much turn! Tree!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!"

Now I need an ace. I've got my eye on #6 here on home course:

8c9c7feb.jpg

(Basket is dead center of pic)

S shot through the gap, I think I might ALWAYS go for the gap rather go around to the right safe play there.

That would be a much better ace than on a flat hole with 5x the gap width to hit.
<