Disc golf (frisbee golf)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://mywebtimes.co...y.php?id=457511

Yay! Concrete tee pads! (I restarted all my back trouble last year in rut on a dirt tee last summer)

Tourney in July! I'm not the competitive type, well I am but not in disc golf 'cause I suck, but I should play in the initial tourney on the course since it is in my town.

Drove through park from other end today at lunch to get a better look.

Some of the holes look HARD!

I should get some pics soon.

edit:

That article says it is 6000 feet. No way. It is big but I highly doubt it is 6000 feet.

I suppose I will see once tees are marked and distances can be added up.

6000 just seems huge.

Never mind. 6000 feet is huge, but there are others nearby in 5000 - 5700 range.

I may have had 9 hole course in my mind.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Went and walked the course today with a friend. (too hot to play right now)

No tee pads or tee signs yet but the pads are marked and we were able to figure out which tees for which holes.

I think we got it right at least.

The front nine is somewhat open and nicely mowed for the first six. Big old maples and oaks are in play but they are more scattered in that area of the park. 6, 7, and 8 have some small hills in play. 9 has some pretty tightly packed trees leading to the basket which sits down from a steep drop off. From the tee, the top of the basket is about level with your feet. There is almost potential for an ace with a roller, but the ground is woods floor rather than lawn like the lower area.

The back nine, wow.

Ten's basket sits about 40 feet up on a pretty steep hill after driving from lower flat ground with moderate tree obstructions. 11, 12, 13, and 14 play in the upper area of the park where the trees are smaller and there are a lot more of them in the way. 12's basket sits in a small alcove like area of thick overgrowth.

15 is a fucking monster. Par 5. Plays from the very corner of the park and down a nice open nicely mowed hill. At the bottom after it flattens out, there is a 90º right dogleg because of the creek. The rest of the way to 15 is fairly open but somewhat narrow fairway between some thick woods and a somewhat slimy creek/pond.

16 seems to be a straightforward hole for a break after beastly 15.

7 tees from the flat lower big tree area again to the basket on top of a big steep hill that has a really narrow approach. 18 is pretty much the opposite, teeing from top of hill to the basket that is down in the flat area (and distant)

I am going to charge my camera battery. I might go out and play some or at least get some pics if it cools off some in an hour or so.

I'm very impressed. I'm gonna be pissed on that back 9 though. I've really got to work on my game, there are spots with no good option other that a really difficult throw.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fucking monster storm blew through so I didn't get back out there.

Here's a pic from google earth.

Approximations of course, but I just wanted to show how fucking huge #15 is.

Added #4's basket to show spread of course over most of park.

marilla.jpg

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Played most of the front 9 this morning before it got too hot.

Skipped #1 because I was afraid of hitting a guy sitting on a bench.

I really suck at this game. Ugh!

I missed 8. I don't know the routing for sure yet as,it is mostly unmarked.

Back 9 had lots of standing water from storms night before, and it was already hot and humid. No good pics yet, sorry.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No!!!

I lost my favorite disc on hole 9 today. My 2nd round of front 9. Played in rain earlier.

It has my # on it, I hope if someone finds it they contact me.

I will look some more in the morning when I play.

Work turned into crazy so I bailed and took vacation to relax before I soak up Dream Theater show. Hopefully I will be at hole 9 by 9am.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yay! I found my disc yesterday!

Here's # 7 looking down to the tee:

Marilla_7_tee.jpg

The tee is behind the tree with the red circle at the base.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, I FINALLY got off my ass and actually started some of my dyeing project.

I'm not going with the vinyl masking, hand or machine cut.

I am trying a simple marbling method. I have a new disc in glow plastic sitting on black dye right now.

Now to play the waiting game.

I'm thinking I should give it 2 hours.

Depending on how it looks, I may do something to change my pattern and dye it more, or maybe even add another color.

I hope this works, with the whole RIT dye formula change last year, I'm not 100% sure the dye will even take at all.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I got a couple bleeds but I think it looks pretty good for my 1st hand cut real dye job.

Now to get it signed by the band.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks.

I got some supplies today but still need a few things.

Then I am going to try some painting and different marbling methods.

I will likely dye some discs for friends as gifts too.

Want to get some orange discs to dye as jack o'lanterns.

Maybe make something cutesy for my niece's wall.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Our fireworks are about to start.

Missed em last year, was a quarter mile from launch but having too much fun playing disc golf HORSE.

Missing this year too.

Sitting at home on patio enjoying breeze and cool down.

FINALLY!

Hoping to hit course tomorrow morning.

I have dyeing materials on the way, and I think I finally tracked down email of an old acquaintance that has a plotter to cut my dye stencils. If I hear back from him I want to work a deal.

I can offer sign vinyl or $ or possibly other stuff like apfelwein.

Hopefully soon I can have my stripper on pole dye.

And I also have idea for a big sea turtle with the Darwin fish on turtle's back.

That would be badass.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, and my painting and marbling techniques I tried out sucked.

I didn't ruin the disc but did a shitty job.

Oh well. It's not even my disc. Haha.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It turns out I can see the high ones from here and hear it all.

A nearby fence is turning soundwaves into a whistling screech.

I wish I,was tripping.

bri

Liked Posts:
Practice makes perfect. You'll be a pro at painting them soon.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone finally put up a review and some pics on course review site.

link to pics:

http://www.dgcourser...506&mode=media#

Here's a dye I did for a friend:

IMG_1119.jpg

It was just white when he gave it to me to dye.

I have two sweet glow rim approach/putters that are even blank. One pink, one yellow/green, both translucent.

I want to put a kick ass Pink Floyd dye on the pink one, and as far as throwing them goes, they are fucking MONEY! I got 'em on a string. Great approach disc.

I even put a dollar sign onto my yellowish one. I figured I would do it in blue from the bottom to make it look green through the top. I got a really light, marbled like texture and a pretty bad bleed on top of my shitty hand cut stencil but it is still money on a string and looks cool spinning in flight.

bri

Liked Posts:
Nice job, I'm sure your friend loved it.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, he liked it.

His daughter was upset that I wouldn't give her my sweet pink blank.

She'll be okay, I'll dye her a pretty pink disc someday.

Here is what I just did to same disc from post #249:

IMG_1132.jpg

Somewhat painted on with mix of dye, acetone, and shaving cream. Made my lines with masking tape and elmers glue for good straight edges. 1 hour, 45 minutes on disc, then rinsed off.

I think that method has some serious potential. I have the basic mix down, more time = darker color, less time = lighter color.

Maybe soon I can mix my blue dye with (my yet unmade) green dye for a kick ass teal to marble/paint base color for my planned sea turtle disc.

I have some left over plastic from work I wanted to test colors and times on but it doesn't seem to take dye at all.

bri

Liked Posts:
I would love for you to post the turtle disc. I picture you as being like Crush, the big turtle from Finding Nemo.