Disc golf (frisbee golf)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I tried to talk my boss into buying my chess set. He really really wanted it, but says he just doesn't have the money right now.

I called the store and they are sending me the return label with the set I ordered.

That is awesome. Now I don't have to wait until the one I have here ships back.

AND since the black pieces are the same, I am going to keep the best of the best and send the "plain" ones back. They are all beautiful, but some have more gray lines and "dusting" than others.

bri

Liked Posts:
I haven't seen you on and was starting to worry that you were still in a funk over that funeral business. You'll have to let me know what is new and exciting is going on.
<

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, no. I got over that punk ass minister quickly enough. If I ever see him in my neighborhood, I may kick his ass though, but an idiot like that is not worth me going out my way for.

I've just been getting lots of overtime at work after I took care of funeral business. Been sore and tired but doing well.

bri

Liked Posts:
Oh, no. I got over that punk ass minister quickly enough. If I ever see him in my neighborhood, I may kick his ass though, but an idiot like that is not worth me going out my way for.

I've just been getting lots of overtime at work after I took care of funeral business. Been sore and tired but doing well.

Have you had a chance to spend much time with your friend that recently moved back to the area?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Woo hoo!!!

Possible course in my town!

http://mywebtimes.co...ery=disc%20golf

Seems like it might end up happening at same park my friends and I set up our temporary holes.

I will certainly donate.

The weather is really nice and I would LOVE to get some throwing in but I still can't due to my back. Hopefully by the weekend this stupid muscle will let go and let me have proper use of my throwing arm.

bri

Liked Posts:
Sorry to hear that, Hun, but you at least have that snazzy chess set to keep you busy. I will keep my fingers crossed about the park.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, enough.

Fuck this shit. My right arm is numb but I am still going to go throw this weekend. Hell, I can look at my hand at see if I am holding the disc correctly. If I can't feel the let go, I'll work on it from there.

Weather has been too good. Saw deer in yard Sunday afternoon! (corn is now DOWN) Heard same buck rubbing antlers on trees and then running of hooves tonight.

Can't sit in this chair anymore. OW!

I think throwing will loosen this up.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got my new mower this weekend and finally mowed the back acres. Looking forward to playing frisbee with the kids. Weather is very nice right now. Daughter got a fribee golf set for her birthday and has been playing alot. She throws those disc better than I do. I have a terrible hook with driver and can't figure out how to straighten it out. I can throw a regular frisbee level and straight for 40-60 yards depending on the wind conditions, but that driver hooks every time. Bugging the hell out of me. Maybe I need to do some research about technique for frisbee golf

bri

Liked Posts:
Winter will be here soon enough. Take advantage of the nice days we have left. Your arm has the winter to heal.
<

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got my new mower this weekend and finally mowed the back acres. Looking forward to playing frisbee with the kids. Weather is very nice right now. Daughter got a fribee golf set for her birthday and has been playing alot. She throws those disc better than I do. I have a terrible hook with driver and can't figure out how to straighten it out. I can throw a regular frisbee level and straight for 40-60 yards depending on the wind conditions, but that driver hooks every time. Bugging the hell out of me. Maybe I need to do some research about technique for frisbee golf

Are you throwing with your shoulders squared or 90º to the direction you are throwing?

What kind of hook?

All discs will fade some to left (or right if thrown left handed) as they slow down near end of flight. Some discs more than others of course.

Is that the kind of hook you mean?

Or does it fly forward, gain lots of height, and then bank and dive? Like stick into the ground dive.

If it is that, I don't remember for sure but I think it is that the disc is too overstable for your arm speed.

I throw semi-understable to very understable discs as understable is recommended for beginners (like me), and for those with less arm speed (like me also, stupid back!).

Do you only get that effect with your driver?

What kind of disc is it?

I know, I know, I have lots of questions. I really hope you enjoy yourself.

As far as finding information on technique, I have found http://www.dgcourser...orums/index.php to be full of info, and there are some good articles at http://www.discgolfreview.com/ in the resources section.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Winter will be here soon enough. Take advantage of the nice days we have left. Your arm has the winter to heal.
<

Oh, happy late b-day Bri.

Winter?

Shit, I have to survive until then first. Looks like I will be at work a LOT for next couple of months.

Awesome! Lots of books and rock & roll for me and I'm going to make a shitload of money. I'm gonna try to load up from the humor section because working long hours is awesome when I am laughing my ass off.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you throwing with your shoulders squared or 90º to the direction you are throwing?

What kind of hook?

All discs will fade some to left (or right if thrown left handed) as they slow down near end of flight. Some discs more than others of course.

Is that the kind of hook you mean?

Or does it fly forward, gain lots of height, and then bank and dive? Like stick into the ground dive.

If it is that, I don't remember for sure but I think it is that the disc is too overstable for your arm speed.

I throw semi-understable to very understable discs as understable is recommended for beginners (like me), and for those with less arm speed (like me also, stupid back!).

Do you only get that effect with your driver?

What kind of disc is it?

I know, I know, I have lots of questions. I really hope you enjoy yourself.

As far as finding information on technique, I have found http://www.dgcourser...orums/index.php to be full of info, and there are some good articles at http://www.discgolfreview.com/ in the resources section.

I'm left handed. The driver hooks regardless. If I overthrow and it gets lots of height it will dive like you described it. But even when I purposely take something off it still hooks to the right after I throw (is that actually a slice? I'm not much of a golfer, don't know the terminology well). Pretty sure they are beginners discs, we just got a boxed set from a sports store. The mid range will hook a little if I'm trying to cover more distance. Have no problems "chipping" or "putting" I'm very acurate with that up to about 20 ft.

As far as throwing mechanics I've basically been throwing the same way I do a regular frisbee. Typical backhand release, not trying to do any of the forehand reverse or overhead throws. I think I'm pretty square when I release the disc. I actually try to focus more on smooth forearm extension and the wrist flick when I release and less on shoulder position.

Just need to find some time to do some research I guess.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you are facing the wrong way. Squared up and facing your target is fine for putting, but to throw drives and mid range shots you need to be perpendicular to where you want the disc to go. Say, if you want to throw north, you face to the east.

Basically you only see where you are throwing on putts. (when throwing backhand)

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I definately start perpendicular.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
!!!

The weather is nice, even if a bit windy.

My basket has been out in the yard after work for a bit of throwing the last few days.

I still throw like shit, so my injury didn't take anything away from my game.

But the really good news is that it appears we are getting a course in my town!

http://mywebtimes.co...ery=disc%20golf

From my reading, it seems certain for at least 9 holes if they get the money.

I'm going to donate some money. I like that they said "mid level tournament course". I think that park has great potential for a great course. Lots of huge old trees, hills, and a creek (ooh, and happily singing birds too, can't forget the birds, I love birds!).

bri

Liked Posts:
That would be great for you and the weather is suppose to stay warm the next two weeks at least so you should be able to get lots of practice in. I tike listening to the turtle doves that hang out in the neighbor's tree. That reminds me I haven't checked on the eagles lately.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've had issues with my left elbow for almost 4 months now. Had septic bursitis over Thanksgiving, took a few weeks to get better, then while skiing I tweaked it while carrying gear to the slope and perhaps fell awkwardly once. Now I have tennis elbow. I've been doing PT for the last 3 weeks, seems to be getting better. Those tennis elbow wraps are aboot worthless. hopefully will be able to throw in the near future. No way I'm doing it now, to painful. If PT doesn't work out looks like I'm going to the saw-bones for a steroid injection.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That sucks Winos.

With my neck issues I was able to avoid the epidural shot and got by with PT and epileptic meds for a month.

Hope you get well soon and can get back to throwing.

Rest up that arm.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drive through the park after work today.

HELL YES!!!!

They are building our course right now!

Baskets from one end of the park to the other, one basket on side of steep hill.

I didn't see any tees but it looks like it should be an awesome course.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A friend wanted to go see the course so we went for another ride through the park to get a better look. It seems to be almost done, as in tees are marked with posts, I hope tee pads are coming soon. There was a group of 7 or 8 people playing already. I think they were the people I saw putting up baskets earlier this afternoon.

After getting a better look, it looks awesome, perhaps even elite. Mix of open and wooded holes, at least 4 or five holes on hills, overthrow hazard potential on many holes such as gulleys in the hills to make for difficult follow up shots.

I'm really excited now! My friend and I will hopefully go throw a round by end of the week, but I think I have lots of time at work ahead.

Fuck it, it's even close enough to play a few holes on my lunch break!