Do You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I worked in the produce department at Hyvee during for a couple of years. I was hungover AF for 75% of my shifts and I'll be honest, I was not really concerned with where the potatoes or onions were being put.

Might want to leave that off your resume.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Yeah, it's not on my professional resume lol. I ended up being re-assigned to the Wine and Spirits because a secret shopper asked me 'how do you tell if a rambutan is ripe' and my response was 'what's a rambutan?"
What a douche secret shopper.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Right? We live in Iowa idiot, nobody is eating ****ing rambutans!
1. Not sure what a Rambutan is
2. There are certain areas in the U.S where rambutans are consumed more than others?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I've done secret shopping to earn some extra scratch, and it's really the dumbest thing in the world.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I've done secret shopping to earn some extra scratch, and it's really the dumbest thing in the world.
what stores did you lurk around? And did you ever ask for rambutans in Iowa?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure the rambutans are to be displayed next to the cruciferous items and never next to potatoes or onions, shallots are ok though.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah.
I use clippers and take it down. Take a shower to get the hairs all away from me and come back later to get what i missed. i always miss a bit.
Lol. That's my process too. I normally will get someone to spot check it as well. If I'm feeling particularly ambitious I'll take a razor to it, but I only end up doing that once a month or so.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I worked in the produce department at Hyvee during college for a couple of years. I was hungover AF for 75% of my shifts and I'll be honest, I was not really concerned with where the potatoes or onions were being put.

Wait, you were deciding where the produce went? Not someone with knowledge and experience. Fun times, well, see ya next year I guess.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Wait, you were deciding where the produce went? Not someone with knowledge and experience. Fun times, well, see ya next year I guess.
I'll bet you die a little when you see a salad bar with the onions all out and exposed collecting airborne, fecal contaminants.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I worked with this guy who took his job really seriously. I think his name was Paul IIRC and he had worked there his whole life I think. He had this cool little produce toolbelt with knives/box cutters on it and stuff. One day we were having a big blow out sale on pineapple and I guess I was on pineapple duty. Paul came rushing up to me, "HAWKBEAR, THE PINEAPPLE IS ALMOST OUT, GO GET IT RESTOCKED OMFG!!!!" and it was at that moment in time I realized I would never work another retail job in my life.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I worked with this guy who took his job really seriously. I think his name was Paul IIRC and he had worked there his whole life I think. He had this cool little produce toolbelt with knives/box cutters on it and stuff. One day we were having a big blow out sale on pineapple and I guess I was on pineapple duty. Paul came rushing up to me, "HAWKBEAR, THE PINEAPPLE IS ALMOST OUT, GO GET IT RESTOCKED OMFG!!!!" and it was at that moment in time I realized I would never work another retail job in my life.
But do you remember ever putting potatoes next to onions or being told "don't do that"?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Wait, Paul didn't know to keep the onions away from the potatoes either? Other than that, sounds like he probably had real life responsibilities and was doing the best with what he had.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
But do you remember ever putting potatoes next to onions or being told "don't do that"?

He put the rambutans next to the tampons. Nobody told him not to. Paul had a different kind of belt for these kind of things.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Where? I was in the grocery industry for 29 years and I am unaware of this practice. If they are a unionized shop, they are making more than minimum wage.

At a California Vons in the mid 2000's.