CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
That's somewhat true. You also lose nutrients from blending the foods especially if you don't consume them right away.

Yeah, I'm not interested in the cleanse part, as I'm ignorant on it. I've just never seem removing fiber advocated so that's why I was confused on juicer v blender.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'm not interested in the cleanse part, as I'm ignorant on it. I've just never seem removing fiber advocated so that's why I was confused on juicer v blender.

Right, cleansing is an absurd premise to begin with. A large part of the benefit of veggies is the fiber content, but as long as you get enough fiber elsewhere it's not a big deal. I get a lot of my fiber from popcorn, just because it serves as an easy carb source.

malcore

Right, cleansing is an absurd premise to begin with. A large part of the benefit of veggies is the fiber content, but as long as you get enough fiber elsewhere it's not a big deal. I get a lot of my fiber from popcorn, just because it serves as an easy carb source.

I've always felt this also, especially when a lot of people I know started swearing by the Mater Cleanse. People who smoked, partied, ate like crap convinced themselves they were counteracting this lifestyle by spending a week or so cleansing.

What is your reasoning, or do you have a link to point me to in this regard?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've always felt this also, especially when a lot of people I know started swearing by the Mater Cleanse. People who smoked, partied, ate like crap convinced themselves they were counteracting this lifestyle by spending a week or so cleansing.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cleanse+myth

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My bad. Misread the post I responded to.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:

Because people are trying to "cleanse" toxins that either you can't "cleanse" or aren't actually toxic. Completely ignoring the fact that after millions of years of evolution our bodies are capable of cleansing themselves. Some douche with lemon juice and cayenne pepper isn't smarter than evolution.

malcore

Because people are trying to "cleanse" toxins that either you can't "cleanse" or aren't actually toxic. Completely ignoring the fact that after millions of years of evolution our bodies are capable of cleansing themselves. Some douche with lemon juice and cayenne pepper isn't smarter than evolution.

lol

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the attraction is in how easy it is to gulp down a drink compared with biting, chewing and eating the 6/8/10 different fruits and veggies that might be in the meal.

Side note - an apple has about a hundred calories, which a person of average size will burn by running a mile.

Personally, I add protein powder and other stuff to make an actual meal out if it.

But yeah, for me the main point is convenience. With a shake I am able to make myself eat a breakfast that is healthy, nutritious, and fast to gulp down.

So as a person who hates eating breakfast right after getting up, its a healthy and easy solution that has lead to increased quality of life.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So is the consensus that blending, juicing, or in any way liquidizing fruits and veg causes them to lose their nutritional value?

You lose almost all the fiber from juicing. And some nutrients are degraded.

With blending, you still get the fiber. There is still some nutrient degradation, but not as severe. Blending can also make other nutrients more available by breaking down the cellulose in cell walls that can be hard to get through chewing.

Chewing is the best, but from what I understand, as long as you go easy on the blending, the nutrient loss is close to negligible.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem is you have people like botfly above and HHM below posting this BS.

texas-fan-reacts-to-ucla-loss-o.gif

Its very much possible to lose weight while increasing calorie intake by changing how, when, and/or what you eat.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
Its very much possible to lose weight while increasing calorie intake by changing how, when, and/or what you eat.

No it isn't. This is basic thermodynamics. How, when, and what you eat is irrelevant to weight loss. This has been proven repeatedly in research. In terms of weight loss/gain the only thing that matters is energy in vs. energy out.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I've kept quiet for too long here.

The reason why you intake more calories and lose fat, is because you are providing nutrients that are important to different glands. Your body is actually burning more calories because you are increasing the activity within your body in more than one way. The first and most common is digestive thermogenesis, the second is the metabolic hierarchy that is primarily regulated by the thyroid, which is glandular thermogenesis.

When you're feeding your body the nutrients that it needs, your conscious activity doesn't have to increase for your body to burn more calories.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What the fuck guys. Eat less and workout more.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No it isn't. This is basic thermodynamics. How, when, and what you eat is irrelevant to weight loss. This has been proven repeatedly in research. In terms of weight loss/gain the only thing that matters is energy in vs. energy out.

Its not a matter of thermodynamics. Its about whether your body is consuming energy or storing it as fat.

If you really are a nutritionist than you very well know it is possible to manipulate how the calories you intake are used.

For example, a person has an established lifestyle of eating 1kcal every night right before bed. If that persons stops eating right before bed and instead spreads those calories out over the course of the day, they will lose weight. They can even eat slightly more calories and still achieve a net lesser amount of calories being deposited as adipose tissue.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Further, it is a fact that some compounds are more readily deposited as fat than others. And excess of glucose will yield a higher amount of lipids than than amino acids for example.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You lose almost all the fiber from juicing. And some nutrients are degraded.

With blending, you still get the fiber. There is still some nutrient degradation, but not as severe. Blending can also make other nutrients more available by breaking down the cellulose in cell walls that can be hard to get through chewing.

Chewing is the best, but from what I understand, as long as you go easy on the blending, the nutrient loss is close to negligible.

Nice. I hate that I'd have to spend hundreds of bucks on one of these space age blenders. My blender I have is just a cheap one; all it can do is mix protein powder into skim milk. Sometimes I'll throw some blueberries in there and it doesn't even smooth them out, there are still little pieces in there, so I'm sure there's no way it could make carrots into a drink.

RosettaStoned

Liked Posts:
Its not a matter of thermodynamics. Its about whether your body is consuming energy or storing it as fat.

If you really are a nutritionist than you very well know it is possible to manipulate how the calories you intake are used.

For example, a person has an established lifestyle of eating 1kcal every night right before bed. If that persons stops eating right before bed and instead spreads those calories out over the course of the day, they will lose weight. They can even eat slightly more calories and still achieve a net lesser amount of calories being deposited as adipose tissue.

You are wrong. When I am at a computer I will provide you the research. Nutrient timing is insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.