Expectations for Justin Fields vs other good rookies.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And I still can't figure out why so many were calling for Pace and Nagy's job prior to the draft, but not now? What has changed? Almost any GM would have done that, he just got dam lucky the draft fell the way it did. While opinion, I have no doubt in my mind that if Fields was off the board, he would have done the same thing for Mac Jones.

Long story short, I think it is still the same GM/HC that the Bears had prior to the draft, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.
That should be obvious. “Hope”

Hope that with a QB that has the talent of Fields, both coaching and management can be competent, and thus, steady…in maximizing/building around him, and that it will translate to wins, and playoff berths. And I would go further and say, that it will be for the reason of wanting to see Fields have stability in management, while he develops as an NFL QB.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Anyone at ILB or CB
Christian Jones is a capable backup. It gets more interesting behind him. CB is probably the most difficult position to determine right now. Johnson was pretty damn good as a rookie but had another issue with his shoulder. Trufant can play but his health is a major question. Vildor did not benefit from having a normal off season as a rookie but did a decent job when he had to step in. Burns and Roberson are the wild cards. Burns has talent but had a rough go in Pittsburgh. Roberson was injured before they had much of a chance to evaluate him. Graham Jr. would have been drafted higher if he wasn’t a Covid opt out.

The Bears have good depth at DL, Safety, QB, RB, OLB, interior OL and possibly OT. WR is fine too. TE is the group that is thin.

Most teams outside of Tampa have depth issues. Although if TB 12 goes down, Blaine Gabbert pretty much sucks.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Christian Jones is a capable backup. It gets more interesting behind him. CB is probably the most difficult position to determine right now. Johnson was pretty damn good as a rookie but had another issue with his shoulder. Trufant can play but his health is a major question. Vildor did not benefit from having a normal off season as a rookie but did a decent job when he had to step in. Burns and Roberson are the wild cards. Burns has talent but had a rough go in Pittsburgh. Roberson was injured before they had much of a chance to evaluate him. Graham Jr. would have been drafted higher if he wasn’t a Covid opt out.

The Bears have good depth at DL, Safety, QB, RB, OLB, interior OL and possibly OT. WR is fine too. TE is the group that is thin.

Most teams outside of Tampa have depth issues. Although if TB 12 goes down, Blaine Gabbert pretty much sucks.
Thank GOD @halftime doesn’t run the Bears

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't have to.

Ppl will see during the season, and have the EXACT same complaints I'm having now...and try to pretend they were there all along.

Happens every year.

When I reiterate it later, they'll say "Well everyone knew that. That wasn't hard to see."

Edit: Also they'll say "no one could have known this guy or that guy would get injured...the season would have been so different otherwise."
Eeyore-Quotes-7.png

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Not sure what the Chiefs have to do with the Bears glaringly shallow depth.
Since you brought up the Bears' glaringly shallow depth, that statement had to do with almost every team having glaringly shallow depth on the offensive line and other positions.

So his post is spot on.

Eeyore-Quotes-7.png

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure what he does but I hope he’s not a positivity trainer.
You think this team is deep?

You think they're good?

You think they'll win 9 games outta 17?

Do you think Nagy is a good coach?

You think we can run the ball now?

You think our OTs are set?

You think the defense is going to bounce back to top ten?

You think it's a positive Nagy's calling plays again?

You think our WRs not named ARob will find the end zone?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Every team is shallow at certain positions and teams that get a lot of dings rarely have their best seasons. It's not brane surgery. Our issue was not having great players at starting positions on the O. LT and QB plus playing Ifedi at G. Ifedi to G is one of those things that looked good on paper but he's much better at T.

Last edited:

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
It makes me nervous to see mainstream sports media, ESPN, etc., hyping Fields up. I'd rather he fly under their radar for a season or two and take everyone by surprise.

They build them up to tear them down. I hope Fields takes at least one thing from Mitch: his disregard for the media.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You think this team is deep?

You think they're good?

You think they'll win 9 games outta 17?

Do you think Nagy is a good coach?

You think we can run the ball now?

You think our OTs are set?

You think the defense is going to bounce back to top ten?

You think it's a positive Nagy's calling plays again?

You think our WRs not named ARob will find the end zone?
R73e3d0c6bd38c135be2e496dab21332b

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every team is shallow at certain positions and teams that get a lot of dings rarely have their best seasons. It's not brane surgery. Or issue was not having great players at starting positions on the O. LT and QB plus playing Ifedi at G. One of those things that looked good on paper but he's much better at T.
You are waaay underestimating this.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's not get crazy here, but if Justin Fields doesn't get us a minimum of 13 Super Bowls then I'm going to consider him a bust.
No one is talking about super bowls.

But don't you expect him to be somewhere close to the 7 guys in the OP?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If Justin Fields starts week one in Matt Nagy's well oiled machine, what kinda passing numbers do you expect?

You were being 'tongue n cheek' . So......
The larger question in my mind is what does well oiled machine, really mean? What kind of offense is Nagy running and will it fit Fields?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ok, so in some alternate universe, where both Fields and Darnold are in the same draft class, and both are available when Pace makes his selection, who do you think he picks? And this is without any knowledge of how he did with NY.

Fields - he is at least Darnold's equal as a passer, he is much better as a runner and had better actual production.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Fields - he is at least Darnold's equal as a passer, he is much better as a runner and had better actual production.

Fields
9ints over 3yrs

1624823951396.png

I don't see how "at least Darnold's equal as a passer," to Fields, based on the numbers

1624824151865.png

For me, in any "universe", given these #'s, ya take Fields

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
And I still can't figure out why so many were calling for Pace and Nagy's job prior to the draft, but not now? What has changed? Almost any GM would have done that, he just got dam lucky the draft fell the way it did. While opinion, I have no doubt in my mind that if Fields was off the board, he would have done the same thing for Mac Jones.

Long story short, I think it is still the same GM/HC that the Bears had prior to the draft, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.
There are countless ways a GM could have screwed the draft up. Especially with everyone knowing they were desperate for a QB. He could have easily sold the farm to try to move up to spots 4-10. He could have been gun shy about trading up again and not done so or assumed either Jones or Mac would fall to him. They could have fucked up the valuations and took one of the later QBs at 20.

He played it perfectly. He deserves his props.

And it's not just about Justin. He traded up in the second to get the tackle that everyone wanted in the first round. The entire draft looks outstanding without having seen any of the players in the NFL yet.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I don't have to.

Ppl will see during the season, and have the EXACT same complaints I'm having now...and try to pretend they were there all along.

Happens every year.

When I reiterate it later, they'll say "Well everyone knew that. That wasn't hard to see."

Edit: Also they'll say "no one could have known this guy or that guy would get injured...the season would have been so different otherwise."

In other words, he can't.