Fields vs Williams comparison

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Any decent QB needs a few quality targets in order to prosper,does Pittsburgh even have one?...... MSN

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His 2nd worst QB rating of the year was an acceptable 93.3 and throwing for his 2nd TD in the 2nd half to put his team up by four with under five to play is doing " almost nothing to put his team in position to win? At home?

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I couldn't be happier with CW's improvement but there's quite a bit of 'improvement' with the entire offensive unit. DJ Moore had more separation on his first TD alone than the Steeler's entire WR core had all game........the opponent's take..... x.com JF threw for two TD's in the 2nd half to put his team up by four with under five minutes left but the D couldn't make it stick. CW had the kinda game we've all wanted to see from the rook,a solid running game and some time to find all of those open weapons will bode well if it continues. Bears' D 'stuck' their opponent all day. CW was the better QB yesterday if we're comparing,the rest of the offense was also better than what Pitts' trotin' out there.
While I agree with the poor state of Pittsburgh's offense and everything you saying is true, Caleb in his 5th game is showing that the decision made by the bears was the correct one.

We don't have to beat one down to make the other seem better.

Give Caleb his due and more importantly give the bears credit for getting weapons. Across the board the skill positions at WR and TE are better.

Pittsburgh's oline was worse even before losing 2 starters. Now it's a dumpster fire and they can't run or pass block.

But, CW is still an improvement over Fields.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His 2nd worst QB rating of the year was an acceptable 93.3 and throwing for his 2nd TD in the 2nd half to put his team up by four with under five to play is doing " almost nothing to put his team in position to win? At home?
There's a belief among some here that former players have to crash and burn or it means the team made the wrong decision in letting them go.

I happen to be a fan of the Steelers going on 55 years and feel like Fields and Wilson and even Allen are upgrades compared to last season.

I feel that for my bears it was a good decision to draft CW here for a number of reasons. And he's starting to prove my feelings to be correct.

jc456

Liked Posts:
I think Williams will be a better QB than Fields. But, 300 yard passing games can be more of an indication that your team has a bad D than a great QB.

What I want is a QB that can pass to complement a great running game, not one that has to pass to make up for a bad D.
I've been really hard on CW for the first four games, this past game he showed me he does seem to understand a bit about his eyes and holding defenders to get your receiver open. I saw that he did that on the touchdown to DJ downfield. He does that, he's 5 times the QB of Fields. JF can't read the defense hardly at all. he's a blind squirrel QB. He finds a WR every now and then.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While I agree with the poor state of Pittsburgh's offense and everything you saying is true, Caleb in his 5th game is showing that the decision made by the bears was the correct one. We don't have to beat one down to make the other seem better. Give Caleb his due and more importantly give the bears credit for getting weapons. Across the board the skill positions at WR and TE are better. Pittsburgh's oline was worse even before losing 2 starters. Now it's a dumpster fire and they can't run or pass block. But, CW is still an improvement over Fields.
The highly touted rookie has been 'as advertised' the last few games and an 'as advertised' CW IS an improvement from what we saw from JF here......and SHOULD be! The two QB's have different skill-sets but there's already proof that CW sees the field better and has a more accurate arm,or at least he has the last two games. Ya gota admit having a F'ing BEAST like DJ Moore who fights for every ball and runs every route like his life depends on it to go along with a bunch of other quality targets is an advantage.....and YES,CW might be the better equipped QB to take advantage of those quality targets. The questions that remain for JF are,can he continue to improve his shortcomings @25 enough to be considered a reliable starter? and Does he have the personnel to help? I believe he does have the coaching,if JF fails in Pittsburgh.........it'll be hard to point a finger at SB winner Mike Tomlin who's yet to post one losing season out of his first seventeen. "We don't have to beat one down to make the other seem better",I couldn't agree more! Just because a guy feels JF got less than an ideal situation to work with here and still might improve @25,doesn't mean he won't enjoy CW's success as much as any of JF's 'lynch mob' does.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
I think Caleb Williams is already better than fields ever was. I can be persuaded otherwise until Caleb Williams beats Green Bay. I remember the packers players saying the bears under fields are just the same old bears. Their game plan of making fields pass the ball worked. If they make Caleb Williams pass the ball, I think the outcome is very different.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's a belief among some here that former players have to crash and burn or it means the team made the wrong decision in letting them go. I happen to be a fan of the Steelers going on 55 years and feel like Fields and Wilson and even Allen are upgrades compared to last season. I feel that for my bears it was a good decision to draft CW here for a number of reasons. And he's starting to prove my feelings to be correct.
I was a big Steelers guy in the 70's too my friend and I still am,it was the Bears' ineptitude that made me look elsewhere for football success to follow in my mid-teens. Both teams ended-up at 1-13 back in '69' with the Bears' only win coming at the expense of the hapless Steelers. Pittsburgh's next six drafts included....... 'Mean Joe' Green(HOF),DT LC Greenwood(10th round), OT Jon Kolb(7 time all-conference),QB Terry Hanratty,QB Terry Bradshaw(HOF),DB Mel Blount(HOF),LB Jack Ham(HOF),DE Dwight White(4th round),DT Ernie Holmes(EIGHT round),DB Mike Wagner(11th round,2 PB's),RB Franco Harris(HOF),WR Lynn Swan(HOF),LB Jack Lambert(HOF),WR John Stallworth(HOF) and nine-time Pro-bowl center 'MR MIKE' Webster(HOF). That's NINE HOF and several other high quality players out of those six drafts for the Steelers. The same time-span for the 1-13 Bears team saw the draft yield such notables as,QB Bobby Douglas(1st round),WR George Farmer,RB Joe Moore,,,,WHO?(1st round!),DE Tony McGee(3rd round,played 202gms),T Lionel Antoine(1st round) and DB Craig Clemons.....WHO?(also in '1972's 1st round).....YIKES!,DT Wally Chambers (1st round,3 PB's and the best of the bunch) and '74' saw two 1st round picks yield LB Waymond Bryant and DE Dave Gallagher........did I say YIKES already? Needless to say,the teams went on two very different paths!

Last edited:

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The highly touted rookie has been 'as advertised' the last few games and an 'as advertised' CW IS an improvement from what we saw from JF here......and SHOULD be! The two QB's have different skill-sets but there's already proof that CW sees the field better and has a more accurate arm,or at least he has the last two games. Ya gota admit having a F'ing BEAST like DJ Moore who fights for every ball and runs every route like his life depends on it to go along with a bunch of other quality targets is an advantage.....and YES,CW might be the better equipped QB to take advantage of those quality targets. The questions that remain for JF are,can he continue to improve his shortcomings @25 enough to be considered a reliable starter? and Does he have the personnel to help? I believe he does have the coaching,if JF fails in Pittsburgh.........it'll be hard to point a finger at SB winner Mike Tomlin who's yet to post one losing season out of his first seventeen. "We don't have to beat one down to make the other seem better",I couldn't agree more! Just because a guy feels JF got less than an ideal situation to work with here and still might improve @25,doesn't mean he won't enjoy CW's success as much as any of JF's 'lynch mob' does.
Exactly right.

We should be able to quantify a few things:

1. Fields never got the situation that CW has, even in Pittsburgh. What's different there is coaching. They have few weapons, currently, and their best weapon is a head case that can't get out his own way.

2. CW has a situation that very few #1 picks have. It's usually a team bereft of talent that finishes last (Carolina anyone?). In addition to CW is surrounded by experience and talent meant to help him.

3. Fields has improved on many of the things he was criticized for in Chicago. They've managed to shave nearly a full second off his release, and his downfield accuracy is improved.

So I firmly believe both teams improved at the most important position.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Caleb Williams is already better than fields ever was. I can be persuaded otherwise until Caleb Williams beats Green Bay. I remember the packers players saying the bears under fields are just the same old bears. Their game plan of making fields pass the ball worked. If they make Caleb Williams pass the ball, I think the outcome is very different.
I really hope this wasn't the debate. CW is a Heisman winner. He comes in already more highly decorated than Fields.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exactly right.

We should be able to quantify a few things:

1. Fields never got the situation that CW has, even in Pittsburgh. What's different there is coaching. They have few weapons, currently, and their best weapon is a head case that can't get out his own way.

2. CW has a situation that very few #1 picks have. It's usually a team bereft of talent that finishes last (Carolina anyone?). In addition to CW is surrounded by experience and talent meant to help him.

3. Fields has improved on many of the things he was criticized for in Chicago. They've managed to shave nearly a full second off his release, and his downfield accuracy is improved.

So I firmly believe both teams improved at the most important position
Fields will eventually lose the starting job. But for now we need him to keep starting the next four games and that should secure the 51% of the snaps.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
I really hope this wasn't the debate. CW is a Heisman winner. He comes in already more highly decorated than Fields.
A Heisman award is about as meaningful in the NFL as a peso is at your local Walgreens.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Fields will eventually lose the starting job. But for now we need him to keep starting the next four games and that should secure the 51% of the snaps.
Hopefully he plays really well this week because next week against the Jets might lose fields the job if he isn't great this week