Former Bears Coach Says Fields was "Really hard to Watch"

abegibronreborn

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Iowa Hawkeyes
Yea, if the team winning is good enough, the Steelers will win games. Will they win BECAUSE OF Fields? Debatable... so if the team winning games, when they already have been winning games historically, is enough, then yea... the Steelers should win games regardless of if it's Fields or Wilson at QB. Tomlin hasn't had a losing season once. Kenny Pickett and Mason Rudolph have winning records, and everyone thinks they suck. Coaches get fired with winning records. So you question it as if there's a clear answer there... there isn't... especially when QBs get paid ridiculous money to be the reason you win games. Also, as debated ad nauseam with the Fields saga... wins aren't solely a QB stat. So if you want to credit him with those wins that are already happening, then great.

Fields, as I understand it, is slated to be the backup QB in Pittsburgh...The job is Russell Wilson's to lose.

Which, of course, he may.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fields, as I understand it, is slated to be the backup QB in Pittsburgh...The job is Russell Wilson's to lose.

Yea, of course... but that's not my point. My point is that I don't see it as a uniquely good opportunity for Fields to help himself. The wording "If he cannot succeed under Mike Tomlin, then he likely won't succeed in the NFL." implied that working with Tomlin is some great opportunity to succeed, but we've seen QBs fail there as evident by them wiping out the entire QB room this past offseason. Maybe I'm misinterpreting that quote though.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

If Russ plays as decently as he did last year, Fields ain’t seeing the field unless they use him as a gadget player or a kick returner

abegibronreborn

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Iowa Hawkeyes
Yea, of course... but that's not my point. My point is that I don't see it as a uniquely good opportunity for Fields to help himself. The wording "If he cannot succeed under Mike Tomlin, then he likely won't succeed in the NFL." implied that working with Tomlin is some great opportunity to succeed, but we've seen QBs fail there as evident by them wiping out the entire QB room this past offseason. Maybe I'm misinterpreting that quote though.

What I should have said is that good players thrive in the Steelers organization.

If he washes out there, I don't think he'll ever amount to much, IMHO.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Shouldn't this thread have "OT" in the title?

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I was always rooting for him and I thought he was going to be special given some of his performances. I actually wanted to stick with him this year but now, I think it was the right move to take Williams (I am super excited to see him play) and also for Fields to get a fresh start somewhere new. I hope he does well although I hope Williams is leaps and bounds better than him.
Yea...I still can't figure out how he had great games, and then really bad games. Not much in-between. To quote David Ferrie (Joe Pesci) in JFK....me referring to Fields......"he's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma"

greg23

Liked Posts:
Yea...I still can't figure out how he had great games, and then really bad games. Not much in-between. To quote David Ferrie (Joe Pesci) in JFK....me referring to Fields......"he's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma"
The only riddle and emigma is due to the perception of most nuthuggers.

How many great passing games did he have in 40 starts....games where he actually looked like a top tier NFL qb?

3 maybe 4?

The rest....great highlight plays; based off broken plays that resulted in qb runs and most often, garbage qb play followed by even worse putrid play in the 4th quarter.

There is no great mystery; he just wasn't/isn't a very good nfl qb.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
The only riddle and emigma is due to the perception of most nuthuggers.

How many great passing games did he have in 40 starts....games where he actually looked like a top tier NFL qb?

3 maybe 4?

The rest....great highlight plays; based off broken plays that resulted in qb runs and most often, garbage qb play followed by even worse putrid play in the 4th quarter.

There is no great mystery; he just wasn't/isn't a very good nfl qb.
For the most part you're correct.......I'd say 8-10 great games....my point is why couldn't he follow with really good games? Why such extremes in his games? Why no consistency ? You are right on using the word putrid...lmao....to describe his 4th quarters.

greg23

Liked Posts:
For the most part you're correct.......I'd say 8-10 great games....my point is why couldn't he follow with really good games? Why such extremes in his games? Why no consistency ? You are right on using the word putrid...lmao....to describe his 4th quarters.
That's what bad qb do....1 great game followed by 5-6 poor games

I'd say 10 great games is a stretch.....hell, did he even have 10 200+ yard games?

His best game was prob vs denver lasy yest...and he shit the bed the last 20 mins and of course had a fumble six mixed in resulting in a loss

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's where he asked to go. What could be better for him than that.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Good Rex, Bad Rex. We've seen it too many times, unfortunately. Consistency is a hallmark of a franchise QB, I guess.