Former Bears Coach Says Fields was "Really hard to Watch"

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Tyler Dunne of Go Long seems like he's on a JF smear campaign to make himself relevant.
From a journalistic standpoint he has no specific sources. Just conjecture.

Dunne quoted two unnamed former coaches of Fields in his article about where the Bears went wrong with Fields and Mitch Trubisky. . One coach compared him to a beheaded bird:

When I see "two unnamed former coaches " or unnamed sources ......I look at the writer side eyed.
That’s fair, but Josh Lucas had said some of this previously. It’s not like this is completely new information. Regarding the possibility that not everyone likes Fields, that’s not hard to believe either. I think it’s hard for any one person to be universally liked. Not exactly groundbreaking information either. What if I said not everyone in the Bulls locker room liked Michael Jordan? Who cares, right? Regarding his reading, we don’t know what season the quote refers to, but many have publicly criticized his throwing ability (processing/vision), so this isn’t even remotely shocking either.

As far as anonymity, it’s not does the source no good to give their name. Why would they ever allow that? It would only result in negative outcomes.

If this Fields stuff came out months ago, maybe it would be relevant. But now? It’s pretty worthless and just ammo for “I told you so”’s among Bears fans.

Back in school. all my writing courses taught ....give attribution for anything said.

".......but Josh Lucas had said some of this previously."

I've seen ppl here in the forum and outside of the forum , who don't speak highly of Lucus as super reputable

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Back in school. all my writing courses taught ....give attribution for anything said.

I've seen ppl here in the forum and outside of the forum , who don't speak highly of Lucus as super reputable
I wouldn't know, and I'm guessing most of the random people you're referring to wouldn't either. At least he puts a face behind his words. If he's lying, someone knows who to call out.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

I wouldn't know, and I'm guessing most of the random people you're referring to wouldn't either. At least he puts a face behind his words. If he's lying, someone knows who to call out.

Ok so we're moving away from Tyler Dune's unnamed sources to Josh Lucas....no problem.
------------

Justin Fields character scrutinized by former Bears director

From the article......
Josh Lucas continues by mentioning the fact that the Bears players seem to all have Justin Fields back. He then says drafting Fields replacement could cause ripples in the locker room.

Lucas strikes me as a double talking-back stabbing type person. I like to see Foles and Dalton interviewed about their relationship with JF. I never heard them disparage JF.

Check out the above article and the the Bears players seem to all have Justin Fields back. link And yes it's only natural for Moore to get onboard with the organizational changes.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
hmmm. Were the bears lighting it up with Josh Lucas or said un-named coach were here? They had some success during the Lovie era, and one good year under Nagy, but when was the un-named guy here?

To me both could be true: They sucked and Fields sucked.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok so we're moving away from Tyler Dune's unnamed sources to Josh Lucas....no problem.
------------

From the article......
Josh Lucas continues by mentioning the fact that the Bears players seem to all have Justin Fields back. He then says drafting Fields replacement could cause ripples in the locker room.

Lucas strikes me as a double talking-back stabbing type person. I like to see Foles and Dalton interviewed about their relationship with JF. I never heard them disparage JF.

Check out the above article and the the Bears players seem to all have Justin Fields back. link And yes it's only natural for Moore to get onboard with the organizational changes.
I didn’t move on from unnamed sources. There’s nothing more to discuss. If you don’t believe them, what am I supposed to do? But you’re acting like people want to tie their name to negative comments. No one wants to do that for obvious reasons. Basically every rumor we ever hear of this kind in any sport is nameless.

What you posted that Lucas doesn’t matter at all when it comes to his comments about Fields and Dalton/Foles. They’re totally different times. And cause he made a barely negative comment about Fields in his rookie year, he’s a back stabber? He otherwise basically has nothing but good things to say. Even the negative was so carefully worded to not sound bad. He says the current locker room supports him. If he was a backstabber, he could’ve been on record lighting Fields up for not playing good enough and should be replaced, but he didn’t. You’re the taking the slightest of non-positive words to mean something totally bad.

Bottom line, not everyone gets along. Instead of acknowledging it’s possible Fields and Foles didn’t really get along, you’re choosing to just make accusations on something we’d otherwise never be able to prove. And as I said in my first post in this topic… this all ultimately doesn’t even matter. Not sure why you even care to defend such a soft criticism.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
------------

From the article......

I didn’t move on from unnamed sources. There’s nothing more to discuss. If you don’t believe them, what am I supposed to do? But you’re acting like people want to tie their name to negative comments. No one wants to do that for obvious reasons. Basically every rumor we ever hear of this kind in any sport is nameless.

What you posted that Lucas doesn’t matter at all when it comes to his comments about Fields and Dalton/Foles. They’re totally different times. And cause he made a barely negative comment about Fields in his rookie year, he’s a back stabber? He otherwise basically has nothing but good things to say. Even the negative was so carefully worded to not sound bad. He says the current locker room supports him. If he was a backstabber, he could’ve been on record lighting Fields up for not playing good enough and should be replaced, but he didn’t. You’re the taking the slightest of non-positive words to mean something totally bad.

Bottom line, not everyone gets along. Instead of acknowledging it’s possible Fields and Foles didn’t really get along, you’re choosing to just make accusations on something we’d otherwise never be able to prove. And as I said in my first post in this topic… this all ultimately doesn’t even matter. Not sure why you even care to defend such a soft criticism.

"But you’re acting like people want to tie their name to negative comments. No one wants to do that for obvious reasons."

Dunne: Steelers QB Justin Fields was part of 'toxic as hell' QB room with Bears

Overall.....Dunne was promoting toxicity between Foles, Dalton and JF. I don't view it as soft criticism with Dunne or Lucas
Don't say negative things without attaching a name....that's being disingenuous and it's disingenuous writing . It's like throwing a stone at someone and hiding one's hands.
Back in the day it was called yellow journalism
-------------------------------

Here's my bottom line. Make one's direct sources available. Dunne should've interviewed Foles, Dalton and JF. Unless Foles, Dalton and JF admit to a negative relationship, then I don't believe negativity being promoted between them. It's all yellow journalism

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"But you’re acting like people want to tie their name to negative comments. No one wants to do that for obvious reasons."

Overall.....Dunne was promoting toxicity between Foles, Dalton and JF. I don't view it as soft criticism with Dunne or Lucas
Don't say negative things without attaching a name....that's being disingenuous and it's disingenuous writing . It's like throwing a stone at someone and hiding one's hands.

Here's my bottom line. Make one's direct sources available. Dunne should've interviewed Foles, Dalton and JF. Unless Foles, Dalton and JF admit to a negative relationship, then I don't believe negativity being promoted between them. It's all yellow journalism
Then you must not believe a majority of anything reported... which brings to question why you even bother to engage in it? If a reporter came to me and asked me to go on record saying I have a bad relationship with a coworker... you think I should agree to that conversation that would benefit me in no way? Common sense man... c'mon. No one wants to publicly bad mouth anyone. Unless you want to get on a blacklist, it's better to say "thanks, but no thanks". You don't even know that he didn't talk to Foles. Foles maybe just didn't want to have anything tied to his name.

And it is very soft criticism to say two people didn't get along... especially competing for the same spot. Not every personality in life will mesh. As I already pointed out, would you let it ruin Michael Jordan's legacy to say not every one of his teammates liked him? How stupid is that? Who cares? This news only won't go away cause people like to create more drama to it than even exists. Of the people I manage and have to hear complain, I get to see it ALL. People don't all love each other. That's life. At one point or another, someone will say or do something that another interprets in a negative way. Depending on the personalities and the leadership, that can get squashed or it can just brew into something worse. I know there is no individual in the NFL that doesn't have issues with teammates at some point. These are groups of guys who have been the superstar of their school/town/city their whole lives and now are forced to get along with other alphas and be told they aren't good enough for the first time ever. To refuse to believe that there is no possibility of a single relationship not working out is wild to me.

Last edited:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haven't read much of the nearly 200 posts in this thread, but based on the thread title "really hard to watch"

He wasn't the only motherfucker. My kids "THROW THE BALL, JUSTIN!" lol

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Then you must not believe a majority of anything reported... which brings to question why you even bother to engage in it? If a reporter came to me and asked me to go on record saying I have a bad relationship with a coworker... you think I should agree to that conversation that would benefit me in no way? Common sense man... c'mon. No one wants to publicly bad mouth anyone. Unless you want to get on a blacklist, it's better to say "thanks, but no thanks". You don't even know that he didn't talk to Foles. Foles maybe just didn't want to have anything tied to his name.

And it is very soft criticism to say two people didn't get along... especially competing for the same spot. Not every personality in life will mesh. As I already pointed out, would you let it ruin Michael Jordan's legacy to say not every one of his teammates liked him? How stupid is that? Who cares? This news only won't go away cause people like to create more drama to it than even exists. Of the people I manage and have to hear complain, I get to see it ALL. People don't all love each other. That's life. At one point or another, someone will say or do something that another interprets in a negative way. Depending on the personalities and the leadership, that can get squashed or it can just brew into something worse. I know there is no individual in the NFL that doesn't have issues with teammates at some point. These are groups of guys who have been the superstar of their school/town/city their whole lives and now are forced to get along with other alphas and be told they aren't good enough for the first time ever. To refuse to believe that there is no possibility of a single relationship not working out is wild to me.

He didn't even try talking to JF. If none of the primary people choose to discuss this with Dunne...he should've had the integrity to report it. He should've said......'when contacted JF, Foles and Dalton had no comment'

In any case......
I appreciate your in-depth feelings on all this. I still believe what Tyler Dunne did ( on JF) from a journalistic standpoint is cheesy, craving recognition / relevance , clout chasing, click bait and yellow journalism.

Last edited:

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He didn't even try talking to JF. If none of the primary people choose to discuss this with Dunne...he should've had the integrity to report it. He should've said......'when contacted JF, Foles and Dalton had no comment'

In any case......
I appreciate your in-depth feelings on all this. I still believe what Tyler Dunne did ( on JF) from a journalistic standpoint is cheesy, craving recognition / relevance , clout chasing, click bait and yellow journalism.
Yea maybe, but I don’t tend to see that kind of thing is sports journalism. Not saying it shouldn’t be that way, but just don’t feel like I see it. And that said, I didn’t pay for the article to know he didn’t say that in there.

I personally didn’t know Dunne before this, so you may have a point. He does have respectable names that vouch for him though, so I’d like to believe he’d not tarnish that. Regardless though, if you see my first post here that mentions my favorite player… I mentioned Fields despite the fact that I also didn’t think he’d ultimately be the guy for us. I liked all that he was for the Bears. I know at a minimum, a vast vast majority of the people he’s come across have incredible respect for him. So that said, what Dunne says, true or not, impacts nothing about that for me.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

In any case......

Yea maybe, but I don’t tend to see that kind of thing is sports journalism. Not saying it shouldn’t be that way, but just don’t feel like I see it. And that said, I didn’t pay for the article to know he didn’t say that in there.

I personally didn’t know Dunne before this, so you may have a point. He does have respectable names that vouch for him though, so I’d like to believe he’d not tarnish that. Regardless though, if you see my first post here that mentions my favorite player… I mentioned Fields despite the fact that I also didn’t think he’d ultimately be the guy for us. I liked all that he was for the Bears. I know at a minimum, a vast vast majority of the people he’s come across have incredible respect for him. So that said, what Dunne says, true or not, impacts nothing about that for me.

There are ppl here who were onboard with JF and those who weren't. I can respect it,
Overall my issue is with Dunne.

You mentioned ...."I personally didn’t know Dunne before this,"
Right and instead of Dunne becoming know for producing substantiated sports journalistic articles, he does a unsubstantiated hit piece on JF ( void of reaching out to the said individuals in question). Based on my knowledge of sports and journalism I can't co-sign on what Dunne did here. I don't see the Dunne guy as reputable at this point....based on the JF hit piece.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
With all of the things going on in the world today I don't think reporting on an NFL QB should be deemed as "yellow journalism."

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are ppl here who were onboard with JF and those who weren't. I can respect it,

Right and instead of Dunne becoming know for producing substantiated sports journalistic articles, he does a unsubstantiated hit piece on JF ( void of reaching out to the said individuals in question). Based on my knowledge of sports and journalism I can't co-sign on what Dunne did here. I don't see the Dunne guy as reputable at this point....based on the JF hit piece.
But it’s not about Fields. It’s a two part article focused on Caleb and Fields is a very small part. People have chosen to focus on that. You’re really focused on something pretty unimportant. I don’t think anyone has changed their opinion in this forum based on this article… true or not. No one cares if he got along with Foles.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

But it’s not about Fields. It’s a two part article focused on Caleb and Fields is a very small part. People have chosen to focus on that. You’re really focused on something pretty unimportant. I don’t think anyone has changed their opinion in this forum based on this article… true or not. No one cares if he got along with Foles.

Dunne ( a clout chaser) pushed a bogus, toxicity, hit piece article about JF here seen in link #170 And quite a few u-tube sports channels do care and have accepted the hit piece as truth.
Anyway...everyone is free to believe what they want about Dunne. Have a good weekend

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dunne ( a clout chaser) pushed a bogus, toxicity, hit piece article about JF here seen in link #170 And quite a few u-tube sports channels do care and have accepted the hit piece as truth.
Anyway...everyone is free to believe what they want about Dunne. Have a good weekend
Link me the toxity article/hit piece that Dunne wrote.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Absolutely. How many people are in the roster? I bet 1/3 of it don't get 100% along..
Thank you… at least someone acknowledges this. I keep having to say it over and over that it’s not news that there’s probably at least one or two individuals that didn’t get along with Fields. It’s pretty normal.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Link me the toxity article/hit piece that Dunne wrote.

Check the links below. The thread is about JF. So many came here to weigh in....me included.
However, I do think it's time to move on as others have stated. Have a good weekend

From link #1 of this thread
Former Bears coach says Steelers QB Justin Fields was ‘really hard to watch’

Quote:
Fields was a polarizing character as the Bears starting quarterback, and according to NFL writer Tyler Dunne

Go to @16:43

Tyler Dunne explains how Bears' QB room was 'toxic ...

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Check the links below. The thread is about JF. So many came here to weigh in....me included.
However, I do think it's time to move on as others have stated. Have a good weekend

From link #1 of this thread
Former Bears coach says Steelers QB Justin Fields was ‘really hard to watch’

Quote:
Fields was a polarizing character as the Bears starting quarterback, and according to NFL writer Tyler Dunne

Go to @16:43

Tyler Dunne explains how Bears' QB room was 'toxic ...

Dunne didn’t write either of those. Try again. I want you to send me the article he wrote. I want the hit piece.