Free Agency news tracker

Rise

Liked Posts:
Not thrilled with the Skrine signing but only 8.5m guaranteed. Gonna give him a shot before doggin' him.

He isn’t a horrible player, will make some plays and miss some plays. It’s not really about the player, just the value vs total cost.

Mitchapalooza

He isn’t a horrible player, will make some plays and miss some plays. It’s not really about the player, just the value vs total cost.

Agreed. Also this will be the best defense he's played with. His job gets easier when our pass rush creates pressure.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears still have Mcmanis who I thought did a credible job.

Skrine, I hope, will not be a regular starter.

He can play a few positions to help back up.

Mitchapalooza

Bears still have Mcmanis who I thought did a credible job.

Skrine, I hope, will not be a regular starter.

He can play a few positions to help back up.

Oh shit yeah I forgot about McManis.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Bears will end up with high comp picks out of this. Bellamy has already cancelled out the Mike Davis signing. Even the Over The Cap guy I posted doesn't really understand how the picks work. Pace is not dumb.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I’ve calmed down now after initially being pissed at how things have gone. Hopefully we get some comp picks for our losses and by some miracle we sign Bell even though it looks incredibly unlikely. I’m back to trusting Pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rise

Liked Posts:
If Bellamy and Lynch get signed will most likely still get some comps... The sky isn't falling bro.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I know the sky isn’t falling. It’s not just about this one move in a vacuum more about what this one move represents. I thought the organization really figured out the game and had a perfect sell year setup.

I was wrong it’s the same old philosophy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
4th round pick or Buster Skrine for 5.5 a year. I think the Bears should have taken the 4th and saved the cap for next year or use it on a released vet later on, as I don’t think he will make enough of a difference over those options.

You can roll cap into the following season. Still sign a guy like Skrine and have a 4th round pick.

I believe plenty of options exist to give the Bears the same level of ability as Skrine without sacrificing the 4th.

Bears were major buyers last year, now is the perfect year to sell as SS and the oft injured nickel back are expendable luxuries.

Don’t forget which rounds Amos, Jackson, Cohen, Howard etc we’re drafted in.
Very good chance that any number of other Bears FA's
cancel the Skrine signing and the Bears still get 4ths for Amos and Callahan.

Plus I think it dangerous to start making FA decisions based on what pick you may get in 2 seasons. Not to say it shouldn't enter the equation, but if they feel strong, like the seemed to about Skrine, just get him. Not sure I feel the same about him, but then again, I didn't like the Roquan Smith pick either, so there is that.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You would think you wouldn't act like such a dick when you are so wrong. Both Lynch and Bellamy will be comp cancellation picks with 6-7th rounders. Bellamy actually is an immediate cancellation of the Mike Davis deal. who is the dumbass now?

Dumbass said that if Lynch and Bellamy get signed that we'll get comp picks for both and you believe that? Free agency just started and the Bears aren't done signing free agents.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Mike Klis
‏@MikeKlis
Broncos have reached agreement with Kareem Jackson on three-year contract, per source. #9sports
8:09 PM - 11 Mar 2019

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
The #Broncos are giving former #Texans DB Kareem Jackson a 3-year deal worth $33M, source said. The versatile player gets $23M fully guaranteed.
8:11 PM - 11 Mar 2019

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I know the sky isn’t falling. It’s not just about this one move in a vacuum more about what this one move represents. I thought the organization really figured out the game and had a perfect sell year setup.

I get what you're saying. It's certainly disappointing. I don't mind Davis. Not necessarily a guy I'd sign Day 1, but not a bad player and a good fit. But the Skrine move looks pretty bad to me.

I guess he really impressed Nagy when the Bears played the Jets last year. And he was like 4th for DBs in QB pressures, so he fits what Pagano likes to do and blitz from the nickel. But he's simply not very good. PFF graded him out as average overall at CB, but on the lower end of the average group. Callahan was one of the top nickels. Its a huge downgrade in talent, and not necessarily a huge downgrade in cost. And if Pagano wants a nickel that can blitz, would have been better to go after Brian Poole who is A) better than Skrine, B) probably not more expensive than Skrine and C) had 3 sacks in 2018, and D) would have not cost a potential comp pick.

The 2 ways to approach this offseason, I thought were to think big picture and go for the comp picks and long-term competitive outlook. Or say "F it" and go for the ring this year (Ala the Rams last year) and worry about the cap later. These moves kinda do neither.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
McManis has been on the team for years and has never been able to show he is starter material. Good special teams player. But not an NFL starter.

He played well enough last year when Callahan went down

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
4th round pick or Buster Skrine for 5.5 a year. I think the Bears should have taken the 4th and saved the cap for next year or use it on a released vet later on, as I don’t think he will make enough of a difference over those options.

You can roll cap into the following season. Still sign a guy like Skrine and have a 4th round pick.

I believe plenty of options exist to give the Bears the same level of ability as Skrine without sacrificing the 4th.

Bears were major buyers last year, now is the perfect year to sell as SS and the oft injured nickel back are expendable luxuries.

Don’t forget which rounds Amos, Jackson, Cohen, Howard etc we’re drafted in.

Nagy is very impressed with Skrine. He obviously thinks he can be a valuable piece. What you think is irrelevant.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Dumbass said that if Lynch and Bellamy get signed that we'll get comp picks for both and you believe that? Free agency just started and the Bears aren't done signing free agents.
So you were just being a dick based on your speculation of what the Bears will do. Solid reasoning.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
We already know the #Bears were looking into vet safeties. Tashaun Gipson would make me very happy right now.
8:15 PM - 11 Mar 2019

Rise

Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
We already know the #Bears were looking into vet safeties. Tashaun Gipson would make me very happy right now.
8:15 PM - 11 Mar 2019

Now this I’m all for if Amos is gone. Won’t count against comp picks either since he was cut!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So you were just being a dick based on your speculation of what the Bears will do. Solid reasoning.

Come on now, you can't really sit there as a grown man and tell me you didn't see that he came at me out of nowhere in this thread when we were talking free agency all day before he even got in the thread?? Please tell me you're not that bad of a person that you're gonna follow those clowns lead and not see that he came at me out of nowhere? If me not backing down from internet tough guys makes me a dick then you got your very own views on things. I never come at anyone until they come at me first.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Nagy is very impressed with Skrine. He obviously thinks he can be a valuable piece. What you think is irrelevant.

Then why are you on a message board? This is a place for people to express how they think. You should just read Larry Meyer articles and call it a day.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I don't think you have a clue what is going on. I think you are one of many who don't understand that a team with cap limitations and their own free agents is likely to lose their own players and will need to sign others to fill holes. If we can't afford our own guys, we aren't signing upgrades. It's about finding the best fit for what $ you have.

Nagy likes Skrine. It's not the most critical position on the field, and we have a long way to go before opening day to possibly acquire another nickle back somewhere. It's a nickle back, not a quarter back. Let the moves play out before you declare all is lost.

Every year teams lose somebody to FA. We stand to lose a few guys, but at the least critical positions of all. Our biggest loss will be our second best safety if we even lose him.

Relax.