FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
It’s this type of thinking that gets you a Ryan Pace type team with some nice stars but no depth. Two finite resources to build your team that’s cap space and draft picks. When you double dip for one player it really needs to be worth it.
He’s worth for someone. Will they pull trigger, who knows. But if they do, better them than us.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don’t think so. You give up basically 1 1st round pick. The other is like you are drafting him this year, it’s just he’s not a rookie and he’s a bad ass player. So your draft pick turns out good without you even risking it.
It's two first rounders, any way you want to describe it. You also have to pay him as much in average per year as a first rounder would make over his whole 4 year contract, most likely.

And the guy who is tagged is barely ever signed by another team because it's a huge price to pay. I'm not sure a team has ever actually signed a player who was under it. IIRC, the report was that Jaylon wasn't getting a 2nd rounder at the deadline. But now, same circumstances basically, he's going to get two 1st rounders?

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Bears have had rookies start and get valuable experience in the Flus regime. The safety market at FA makes it look like you can score a deal, but that is also a starter that Poles can look for in the third round. I expect FA money to go to the trenches, and if Poles lands any big fish, he is only going to aim for one.

Liked Posts:
It was a forgone conclusion from the beginning. Christian Wilkins appears to be available though. I hope Poles targets him or Danielle Hunter.
Yup. I REALLY hope that Poles makes Daniel Hunter their top priority in the same manner that Jerry Angelo did in the 2010 offseason for Julius Peppers.

It's almost an identical situation with Daniel Hunter. He's a very similar player to what Peppers was when the Bears signed him and would likely have a similar effect on the field also.

Like Peppers when the Bears signed him, Hunter is 29 years old and would likely be one of the few FA contracts worth its weight in gold. Peppers had 3 great seasons in Chicago and likely would have been 4 great seasons had Phil Emery taken Chandler Jones to compliment Peppers instead drafting the laughing stock that was Shea McClellin

I believe that signing Daniel Hunter would be very similar to the Peppers signing. The Bears have the cap space to get this done in their sleep , as well as extend Johnson and meet Lee's pressing needs.

If Poles signa Hunter, then uses one of his top picks on one of the top 3 TECHS (Newton or Murphy), and uses a mid round pick on a rotational 3TECH like Ruke Orhorhoro to pair with Dexter and Pickens at the SHADE positions, then the Bears will have the #1 defense in the league

A defense that will rip away their opponents names, and leaves them all blank and listless.

All while still being able to add a couple.of weapons for a new QB play with.

Ryan Poles, please get this done.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Yup. I REALLY hope that Poles makes Daniel Hunter their top priority in the same manner that Jerry Angelo did in the 2010 offseason for Julius Peppers.

It's almost an identical situation with Daniel Hunter. He's a very similar player to what Peppers was when the Bears signed him and would likely have a similar effect on the field also.

Like Peppers when the Bears signed him, Hunter is 29 years old and would likely be one of the few FA contracts worth its weight in gold. Peppers had 3 great seasons in Chicago and likely would have been 4 great seasons had Phil Emery taken Chandler Jones to compliment Peppers instead drafting the laughing stock that was Shea McClellin

I believe that signing Daniel Hunter would be very similar to the Peppers signing. The Bears have the cap space to get this done in their sleep , as well as extend Johnson and meet Lee's pressing needs.

If Poles signa Hunter, then uses one of his top picks on one of the top 3 TECHS (Newton or Murphy), and uses a mid round pick on a rotational 3TECH like Ruke Orhorhoro to pair with Dexter and Pickens at the SHADE positions, then the Bears will have the #1 defense in the league

A defense that will rip away their opponents names, and leaves them all blank and listless.

I want Hunter too and hope he is the number one priority. I want Odunze at 9. I’d take someone like Fiske if he lasts until 75.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
It's two first rounders, any way you want to describe it. You also have to pay him as much in average per year as a first rounder would make over his whole 4 year contract, most likely.

And the guy who is tagged is barely ever signed by another team because it's a huge price to pay. I'm not sure a team has ever actually signed a player who was under it. IIRC, the report was that Jaylon wasn't getting a 2nd rounder at the deadline. But now, same circumstances basically, he's going to get two 1st rounders?
Sure, why not.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Great player. Would help the Bears immediately. I’ve just always had a hard time believing they spend that much money on a guy almost 30. I personally think they’ll target one of the cheaper and younger options available
Why doesn't anyone ever bring up Leonard Williams? He's also going to be 30 but Spotrac has his value at $16.9 mil.

Canth

Liked Posts:

I am with you on the possibility of signing Hunter.

However, I would be rather disappointed if Poles spent a top pick on defense. I really want him to focus on offense this offseason as much as possible to give his likely shiny new QB the best chance possible to be successful.

Personally, I want QB at 1, a WR at 9 or trade down, and then OL with the 3rd round pick. Sure, once you get to the 4th rounders, pure BPA for either offense or defense...but I really hope those initial picks go to building the offense.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
I am with you on the possibility of signing Hunter.

However, I would be rather disappointed if Poles spent a top pick on defense. I really want him to focus on offense this offseason as much as possible to give his likely shiny new QB the best chance possible to be successful.

Personally, I want QB at 1, a WR at 9 or trade down, and then OL with the 3rd round pick. Sure, once you get to the 4th rounders, pure BPA for either offense or defense...but I really hope those initial picks go to building the offense.
Are you assuming we don't get a 2nd rounder if we trade down from #9?

Canth

Liked Posts:
Are you assuming we don't get a 2nd rounder if we trade down from #9?

It depends on far down they go on the trade down. It's possible they could get a 2024 2nd in a trade down. It's even still technically possible they can get a 2nd from trading Fields. However, I think it's more likely they get additional 3rd round picks in 2024 for either a trade down from 9 or from a Fields trade. IMO, to get a 2nd probably puts it in the 2025 draft.

For the picks I outlined, I just based it on current available picks, no trades. The Bears currently have two 1st's, a 3rd, and two 4th's.

InsideTheLines

Opinionated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Miami Marlins
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Northwestern Wildcats
I’d like to see a few of these big names free agents signed when it opens up. Obviously we won’t sign every big name but I like Barkley as an upgrade from Herbert. Yes Barkley has injury problems …but so does Herbert.

Also, I really am intrigued with Jamal Adams. I feel like he could be a fun player to watch in Eddie Jackson’s old position.

Finally, some D-Line help. Wilkins or Hunter.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It depends on far down they go on the trade down. It's possible they could get a 2024 2nd in a trade down. It's even still technically possible they can get a 2nd from trading Fields. However, I think it's more likely they get additional 3rd round picks in 2024 for either a trade down from 9 or from a Fields trade. IMO, to get a 2nd probably puts it in the 2025 draft.

For the picks I outlined, I just based it on current available picks, no trades. The Bears currently have two 1st's, a 3rd, and two 4th's.
Think they would have to trade down into at least the early 20's to get someone to give up a 2nd round pick though. Maybe they could get lucky and some team in the late teens really wants a player at 9 bad enough to give up a 2nd.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

So build the defense and just have Moore & Kmet on offense? No thanks.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I’d like to see a few of these big names free agents signed when it opens up. Obviously we won’t sign every big name but I like Barkley as an upgrade from Herbert. Yes Barkley has injury problems …but so does Herbert.

Also, I really am intrigued with Jamal Adams. I feel like he could be a fun player to watch in Eddie Jackson’s old position.

Finally, some D-Line help. Wilkins or Hunter.
Good with Barkley but no way in hell would i want J.Adams on this team. First of all he's a SS just like Brisker but mostly the guy is a complete asshole. The way he was treating doctors that were looking out for his health last year on multiple occasions was brutal.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
We do need some playmakers somehow and Barkley does fit that bill but I think Pollard might be nearly as good for less money.

Id love to see a Henry+ Pollard backfield but I know it's just a pipe dream