FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Unless Cousins ends up back In Minnesota we aren't getting squat for Fields it appears.
It’s really looking bleak now.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Unless Cousins ends up back In Minnesota we aren't getting squat for Fields it appears.
The Bears will spin it that keeping Fields is a good thing and the fans will eat it up.

This team is so predictable.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean, there are going to be QB needy teams. Not everyone is going to find their QB. If Cousins doesn't end up back in Minnesota, they're going to need a QB. If Russell Wilson signs with the Steelers, the Broncos are going to need a QB.

There will be a market for Fields. It just looks like it has been determined that other QBs need to be off the board first. The league has spoken. :eek:

And as far as rookies go, how many of them are going to start year 1? 2, maybe 3 of them? JJ McCarthy isn't starting year one. I find it hard to believe anyone is also going to hand the keys over to Nix and Penix year one, too.

Last edited:

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, there are going to be QB needy teams. Not everyone is going to find their QB. If Cousins doesn't end up back in Minnesota, they're going to need a QB. If Russell Wilson signs with the Steelers, the Broncos are going to need a QB.

There will be a market for Fields. It just looks like it has been determined that other QBs need to be off the board first. The league has spoken. :eek:

There are also other quarterbacks available in free agency. I'm not so sure that Fields will be the top choice for anyone missing out on the first wave.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Still the same ratio of teams that need QBs and QBs available. 10:10 more or less

Chic, NE, WAS, NYG, ATL, MIN, DEN, LV, PIT, TB

Fields Cousins Mayfield Wilson Williams Maye Daniels Penix McCarthy Nix

Some of those teams might roll with what they've got (NYG? PIT?) and some of those guys might be drafted to be backups. But the ratio really hasn't changed.

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
The issue with Fields is not so much his ability its the Cap hit for the next 2 years which teams need to figure how it will fit in with the cap budget.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The issue with Fields is not so much his ability its the Cap hit for the next 2 years which teams need to figure how it will fit in with the cap budget.

Ehhh, I would argue it's the combination. It's not, or at least, it should not be purely a cap hit consideration. IMO, the issue is that you don't want to end up spending $40M+ on a guy that isn't actually a top 10 QB. That is where teams end up being screwed. You cannot commit that much money and cap space to just a guy. It has to be to an elite, top 10 player.

And as much as I like Fields as a person and leader, he is not a top 10 QB right now and there are serious doubts he ever will be at this point.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
Nah he probably works for the pack already.. it explains why the bears are 10-24 under him.

Pffft... This time next year, they'll be 18-33. Then what will you have to say?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The Bears will spin it that keeping Fields is a good thing and the fans will eat it up.

This team is so predictable.
1709836017817.png

I don't care how they spin keeping Fields. Get that haul Poles. Get that haul.