FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Bears need someon who is more fit to play higher coverage. They started playing alot more cover 1 last year when Eberflus began asking the players what they wanted to do, and they should play more man. Their CBs are good at it. Brisker is more a box and rover type, get someone who can play the single high. I think Alohi Gilman showed he can do that last year, and he shouldn't be too expensive. But there are several options there.
Gilman can be a beast. Bring him to Chicago.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree. The RB from Louisville snuck up on me. I had no idea who he was, nor did I expect him to run like he did.
Guerendo! This kid was a back up/special teamer for Wisconsin before transferring to Louisville. He really broke out for the Cardinals. Kid can do it all. Very impressive. His bowl against USC was sensational. There's not much tread on those tires. I wouldn't mind getting this kid. Lots of potential.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Tampering starts the 11th.

Tag deadline is tomorrow afternoon
Have we seen anything regarding a comprehensive list of who the Bears are letting hit free agency yet? I sure wish we could move some of the idiotic signings or draft picks. For everything that Poles has done right, he has had some real head scratchers.. a couple questionable free agency signings and draft picks .. I question if he knows how to sign and draft offensive players very well for having been an offensive player himself.

Haven't seen very many mention needing another LB. I loved the combination of Edwards and Edmonds. I thought that worked really well but it rendered Jack Sanborn non-existent because it seemed MLB was his natural position. So when he was moved, he was practically a ghost last year .. I think we have a lot of needs and I would love to see us stack some more draft picks somehow.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Justin Simmons would be good here. Dont know if Poles would pay a 30 year old safety though
He’s a smart player who might be just what our young secondary needs. Watch all the Broncos games living here in Denver. Hell of a player and a great teammate.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He’s a smart player who might be just what our young secondary needs. Watch all the Broncos games living here in Denver. Hell of a player and a great teammate.

I see some people want McKinney and I've read negative things when it comes to personality. Verbal spats with coaches etc

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
So no market for Fields means the Bears should just stick with him? That makes zero sense.
Fields is so good that teams want as has been in Wilson or a never has been in Cousins over him. Well thr Bears should just keep and not try to upgrade due to this.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This is great for the Bears. From The Athletic on the Safety market getting flooded:

“The Denver Broncos’ decision to release star safety Justin Simmons could easily be written off as collateral damage and a regrettable but necessary step toward recalibrating their salary cap.

But digging deeper, a trend seems to be forming at Simmons’ position, as a group of safeties have flooded the free-agent market with teams seemingly prioritizing other areas of the roster. Kevin Byard, Jordan Poyer, Jamal Adams, Eddie Jackson, Quandre Diggs, Rayshawn Jenkins and Marcus Maye were all cut (or designated a post-June 1 cut in Maye’s case) while Antoine Winfield Jr. was franchise tagged by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Kyle Dugger was transition tagged by the New England Patriots and Xavier McKinney wasn’t tagged in any capacity by the New York Giants.

There was a brief moment Tuesday when McKinney seemed to be in a prime position to monopolize the top tier of the safety market in free agency. But within 48 hours, he was shoulder to shoulder with more peers than he likely expected.

The supply is in line to outweigh the demand, which could drive down the value of the position. It’s unlikely to be as dramatic as the running backs’ sinking market, but seven personnel executives and coaches around the NFL told The Athletic something has been developing, even if it only becomes a short-term trend.”

Link to the article:

Why are so many NFL safeties being cut? Will their market vanish like it did for RBs?Why are so many NFL safeties being cut? Will their market vanish like it did for RBs?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dont think this is complicated. Safety is one of the least valuable positions on the field and teams that have overpaid for S are cutting them because they are easier to replace. Main reason I would generally not draft a S before the 3rd round.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Fishbain and Jahns discuss the Bears’ free agent shopping list via The Athletic:

“Quarterbacks​

No. 146 Drew Lock

Fishbain:
I’m not sure how comfortable the Bears would be going into the season with a rookie starting quarterback and a second-year backup. Lock played with Shane Waldron in Seattle and would be helpful in the quarterbacks room. An addition like Lock could also allow the Bears to stay patient with Tyson Bagent. They could also bring back Nathan Peterman, who has been working with Caleb Williams.

Jahns: Teams do value the voices they place around their young quarterback. But I don’t think those dynamics matter much in the long run when it comes to their development. Maybe it’s just my experience covering the Bears talking here. But we’ve seen the Bears pair rookie quarterbacks with veterans in the past. Mitch Trubisky had Mike Glennon and Mark Sanchez, while Justin Fields had Andy Dalton and Nick Foles. There is immense value in having a backup on a rookie contract, too. After all their cost-cutting moves, the Bills re-signed Trubisky to a two-year deal worth $5.25 million.

Wide receivers​

No. 23 Calvin Ridley
No. 39 Josh Reynolds
No. 45 Gabe Davis
No. 79 Curtis Samuel
No. 143 Tyler Boyd

Fishbain:
If the Bears drafted a receiver in Round 1 and signed one of these five, thus making Tyler Scott the No. 4 heading into 2024, they’d be in pretty good shape at receiver. They have to replace Darnell Mooney, but I don’t think this is a position where they need to throw a ton of money around. Reynolds overlapped with Waldron in Los Angeles, making that an easy system fit.

Jahns: It’s also a deep year at receiver in the draft. The Bears could miss out on LSU’s Malik Nabers and Washington’s Rome Odunze in the top 10 and still draft an immediate WR2 for their offense. That’s why it makes sense to spend big elsewhere in free agency. That said, I do like the idea of signing Boyd. He would give the Bears a true slot receiver.

Defensive ends​

No. 2 Danielle Hunter
No. 11 Jonathan Greenard
No. 18 Bryce Huff
No. 37 Chase Young
No. 85 A.J. Epenesa
No. 120 Dorance Armstrong

Fishbain:
Hunter had 3 1/2 sacks against the Bears last season. Poles and Eberflus got a front-row seat to see how he can wreck a play. A rotation of Montez Sweat, Hunter and DeMarcus Walker at defensive end would be pretty darn good, but would that be too pricey? Greenard and Huff might make more sense, but at their age (26 and 25, respectively), they may require more guaranteed money on a longer-term deal than the 29-year-old Hunter. Like receiver, this is a position the Bears can target in Round 1, but they can’t ignore it in free agency and bank on getting a starter in April.

Jahns: With Eberflus, scheme fit and scheme experience are important. Similar to Sweat, Young has that playing for Washington. And so does Epenesa, the 54th pick in the 2020 draft. Epenesa also played for new defensive coordinator Eric Washington, totaling 6 1/2 sacks in each of the past two seasons for the Buffalo Bills. If Washington wants Epenesa, he should get him. He shouldn’t command an overly expensive contract. “It seems like every time A.J. steps on the field, it appears as though he’s doing something extremely impactful for our defense and for our team,” Washington told reporters after Buffalo’s win against the Kansas City Chiefs in December.

Defensive tackles​

No. 4 Chris Jones
No. 10 Christian Wilkins
No. 36 Justin Jones

Fishbain:
Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but the three-technique is pretty important to Eberflus’ defense. Similar to the impact Hunter could have on the defensive line, how could you not be intrigued by what Wilkins could bring? If they don’t go for Chris Jones or Wilkins, would they consider bringing Justin Jones back? He did lead the team in tackles for loss in each of the past two seasons. A lot of this could depend on the evaluation of Gervon Dexter, and what type of player the Bears want to pair with him.

Jahns: If Chris Jones re-signs with the Chiefs, which is expected, Wilkins is obviously the next best option. At 28 years old and coming off a nine-sack season, Wilkins is poised for a lucrative, long-term contract from some team. He may supersede the Bears’ price parameters. But securing a three-technique definitely seems like the next step for Poles when it comes to bulking up Eberflus’ defense. The Bears will seriously have to consider how much they trust Dexter’s development in his second season.

Running backs​

No. 5 Saquon Barkley
No. 12 Josh Jacobs
No. 48 Gus Edwards
No. 59 D’Andre Swift
No. 102 Tony Pollard
No. 113 Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Fishbain:
It goes against everything we know about Poles for the Bears to suddenly be in play for someone like Barkley or Jacobs, right? The Chiefs have thrived with a variety of running backs. The Bears can feel good about Khalil Herbert and Roschon Johnson. But … imagine the offense with one of the top available backs, or even someone like Pollard. It just adds another dynamic, and with a weak running back draft ahead, maybe the Bears buck the trend and spend this year in the backfield.

Jahns: The Bears aren’t going to change their run-centric approach after replacing Luke Getsy with Shane Waldron or even after drafting Williams. Eberflus wants the run game to be a part of the Bears’ offensive identity. A good run game will only help Williams as he experiences the ups and downs of his rookie season. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Bears added a bigger name to their running back mix.

Center​

N/R Mitch Morse
No. 15 Lloyd Cushenberry
No. 57 Coleman Shelton
No. 75 Tyler Biadasz
No. 87 Andre James
No. 95 Aaron Brewer

Fishbain:
The addition of Ryan Bateslessens the priority here, but I wouldn’t completely rule it out. Guards Teven Jenkins and Nate Davis combined to miss 11 games last season, and it was a perk for the Bears to be able to sub in Cody Whitehair. They do have Ja’Tyre Carterand could still look to add depth here, but I’m guessing the next center comes via the draft.

Jahns: I do think it’s time for the Bears to draft their next center. But Poles needs more picks to do that. There is a big gap between the ninth and 75th picks. The top centers could be gone in the span. That’s why adding Bates made sense. The Bears clearly see value in guard-center flexibility. But if we’re making free agent-coach connections, Shelton deserves special mention. He played for the Los Angeles Rams and Waldron, who was the Rams’ passing-game coordinator in 2020. Since then, Coleman has developed into a full-time starter.

Safety​

No. 14 Xavier McKinney
No. 41 Alohi Gilman
No. 42 Jeremy Chinn
No. 84 Julian Blackmon
No. 108 Geno Stone
N/R Justin Simmons
N/R Jordan Poyer
N/R Quandre Diggs
N/R Kevin Byard

Fishbain:
Well, the Bears picked a good year to need a starting safety they can plug and play next to Jaquan Brisker. Why worry about the draft when you can sign any one of these players and it shouldn’t be that expensive? Diggs played with current Bears safeties coach Andre Curtis in Seattle. Blackmon played the first two years of his career for Eberflus in Indianapolis.

Jahns: This feels like a position where the Bears can wait for the market to come to them. Sometimes that happens almost immediately as agents get a good feel for the market during the negotiation window. But good safeties and running backs — those who contribute on game days — typically wait as teams first target other positions in free agency.

Tight ends​

No. 60 Noah Fant
No. 97 Mike Gesicki
No. 99 Irv Smith Jr.
N/R Will Dissly

Fishbain:
Both tight ends will know Waldron’s offense, having played for the Seahawks last season. The Bears can upgrade the No. 2 tight end spot, then bring back Marcedes Lewis as the No. 3. Fant is only 26 and did have back-to-back 600-yard seasons earlier in his career in Denver.

Jahns: Waldron’s influence should matter here. He likes to use 12 personnel (two tight ends). What type of pairing does he want with Cole Kmet for his offense? Kmet is a true Y tight end. He’s good at everything. Dissly is valued more for his blocking. Fant was the pass catcher in Waldron’s offense in Seattle. Gesicki and Smith could be explored, too.

Link:

Bears free-agency shopping list: Christian Wilkins, Danielle Hunter among possible fitsBears free-agency shopping list: Christian Wilkins, Josh Jacobs among possible fits

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Dont think this is complicated. Safety is one of the least valuable positions on the field and teams that have overpaid for S are curtting them because they are easier to replace. Main reason I would generally not draft a S before the 3rd round.
Nobody said it was complicated. The Bears need a free safety and the market is flooded with alternatives. Supply will be stronger than demand which is a net positive for the Bears.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see some people want McKinney and I've read negative things when it comes to personality. Verbal spats with coaches etc
He’s a good player, so I’d want him… but that aside, I don’t want to lay him what he wants. And I don’t know what that number is, but I’m guessing it’s flirting with 20/year… at least 15. I’m not interested in him at either price.