FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

msadows

Liked Posts:
I believe the saying is that it's a myth. But then again, look at Miami way over the cap, then Buffalo cutting many good players because of it.

KC has Taylor Swift though so that might give them a cap exemption.

KC has drafted well, particularly on defense which is why they have some cap wiggle room.

There are plenty of "good" teams that haven't drafted well and are in cap hell.

The NFL cap is a joke

Not really. You need to realize its likely most of these FA's wouldnt want to come to chicago anyways. Takes two to tango. Hope you are ready for your big FA acquisition to be a RB.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
“Proven” how?

Teams who wouldn't have been able to resign certain players before FA starts because they were strapped for cash, prior to the huge increase could be one way? Or am I missing something?

I mean... if it was a year where the cap didn't go up at all... would some of these teams not have issues resigning their players without kicking the can down the road and f#cking themselves in future years??

I bet the Chiefs are hella happy it went up so much this year so they could afford Jones' mega contract.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Not really. You need to realize it’s likely most of these FA's wouldnt want to come to chicago anyways. Takes two to tango. Hope you are ready for your big FA acquisition to be a RB.
Jones was definitely signing in KC. He made it quite clear.

The narrative that players “wouldn’t want to come to Chicago” is bullshit.

Players chase money or a chance at a ring. Pay them and they’ll come unless they can get the same money from a team that is located in a tax haven.

Playing with Caleb will be a thing too.

Also, some players want to be located in a big market. Chicago is the largest NFL market with a single team and is a world class city with a highly engaged fan base. There are so many teams that have bandwagon fans like Jacksonville, Atlanta, Arizona, and the LA Chargers. Chicago is a hardcore football town.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Jones was definitely signing in KC. He made it quite clear.

The narrative that players “wouldn’t want to come to Chicago” is bullshit.

Players chase money or a chance at a ring. Pay them and they’ll come unless they can get the same money from a team that is located in a tax haven.

Playing with Caleb will be a thing too.

Also, some players want to be located in a big market. Chicago is the largest NFL market with a single team and is a world class city with a highly engaged fan base. There are so many teams that have bandwagon fans like Jacksonville, Atlanta, Arizona, and the LA Chargers. Chicago is a hardcore football town.

Keep thinking that lol.

Someone will be pretty disappointed in about 24 hours.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Keep thinking that lol.

The Bears might not sign players because Poles is wildly conservative but your narrative is complete bullshit.

Julius Peppers was the cream of the crop and he came to Chicago. Allen Robinson was another.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Anyone with ESPN want to give the Cliffs notes?
This is crazy to me, if true, that Sam Darnold and Drew "fucking" Lock are seen as more of a sure thing than Justin Fields is by NFL teams.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Keep thinking that lol.

If they don't sign anyone big its more than likely because they don't want to spend big. I'm sure if they threw money like Pace did then free agents would come here

Your narrative is dumb. All about money 95% of the time

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don’t believe any of that. It’s something else.
I think there's a lot going into this.

I think with the draft being so strong with QB's, with their being 3 good free agent options, depending how you look at Russ and Baker, is part of it and teams thinking they have Poles by the balls thinking they know he's drafting CW, but thinking this kid doesn't have as good and really a better shot at being a legit starter than guys like Darnold and Lock is ridiculous.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
This is crazy to me, if true, that Sam Darnold and Drew "fucking" Lock are seen as more of a sure thing than Justin Fields is by NFL teams.

Its not crazy. Some Bears fans see Fields as a way better quarterback than the rest of the league views him as. The trade value received will reflect how the league views him.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Hopefully we get this news by Monday at noon:

Cousins stays in Minnesota
Wilson signs with the Raiders
Mayfield stays in Tampa

Then we can get both the Steelers and Falcons looking at Fields with one of them offering a respectable trade before the 13th.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Its not crazy. Some Bears fans see Fields as a way better quarterback than the rest of the league views him as. The trade value received will reflect how the league views him.
It's not about if you think what you've seen so far from Fields is what you'll always get from him, it's more about if you think that he can get better with a different system with a different HC/OC/Play caller and better weapons in the passing game to go with what he's shown he can do with his legs, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm a draft CW at #1 guy but i also think Fields can no doubt get better, and lets not act like he's shown nothing in the passing game because that would be untrue. He has shown some good thing even though it's been inconsistently.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Hopefully we get this news by Monday at noon:

Cousins stays in Minnesota
Wilson signs with the Raiders
Mayfield stays in Tampa

Then we can get both the Steelers and Falcons looking at Fields with one of them offering a respectable trade before the 13th.
I want the biggest return for fields but cousins staying in Minnesota does not help the bears one bit

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not about if you think what you've seen so far from Fields is what you'll always get from him, it's more about if you think that he can get better with a different system with a different HC/OC/Play caller and better weapons in the passing game to go with what he's shown he can do with his legs, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm a draft CW at #1 guy but i also think Fields can no doubt get better, and lets not act like he's shown nothing in the passing game because that would be untrue. He has shown some good thing even though it's been inconsistently.

i mean fans are welcome to think he can but it's up to the teams to believe he can

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:

I have read this statement many times over the last 25 years.

Bulls never landed anyone significant.

Bears best signing was Julius Peppers out of how many countless failures

In the year the Sox won a title, their big FA signing was Jermaine Dye. Outside of that, the Sox have not signed a player of significance that played well.

The Cubs acquired Jon Lester which help propel them to a title. At the time, it was a significant signing. I am unsure if the above statement would apply to Lester or if he was seen in the same vein for which the statement was created. Outside of Lester, all Cub FA acquisitions have been rather underwhelming.

Most high end Free Agents bypass Chicago in all sports. The reason any Chicago franchise is successful is due to talent drafted or a trade that led to the acquisition of a impactful player.

Conclusion: Chicago will NEVER be a destination for a high end free agent and history proves that to be the case over the last quarter century.