FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

msadows

Liked Posts:
I have read this statement many times over the last 25 years.

Bulls never landed anyone significant.

Bears best signing was Julius Peppers out of how many countless failures

In the year the Sox won a title, their big FA signing was Jermaine Dye. Outside of that, the Sox have not signed a player of significance that played well.

The Cubs acquired Jon Lester which help propel them to a title. At the time, it was a significant signing. I am unsure if the above statement would apply to Lester or if he was seen in the same vein for which the statement was created. Outside of Lester, all Cub FA acquisitions have been rather underwhelming.

Most high end Free Agents bypass Chicago in all sports. The reason any Chicago franchise is successful is due to talent drafted or a trade that led to the acquisition of a impactful player.

Conclusion: Chicago will NEVER be a destination for a high end free agent and history proves that to be the case over the last quarter century.

I just dont see why any guy in his prime is coming here unless its via trade or we just massively overpay.

The texans have a ton of cap room too. Why would anyone choose us over them? lol

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I just dont see why any guy in his prime is coming here unless its via trade or we just massively overpay.

The texans have a ton of cap room too. Why would anyone choose us over them? lol

You’re going to cunt no matter what happens.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Well I’m sure you understand my thought process? It opens up Atlanta. Why don’t you think that helps?
Because it will almost certainly make MIN worse and they are in the Bears division.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Cousins must have an og horseshoe dude lucks out being a fa and in demand for big contract every time his contract is up

The thing with Cousins is that the guy has bet on himself and won several times now. He played out on the franchise tag twice in Washington, and he has now been willing to play out his contract in Minnesota twice. So, he has forced his way into becoming a FA. Most guys don't take that risk so they rarely become a FA, or at least not while still playing at a high level where it's their choice to be a FA.

msadows

Liked Posts:
You’re going to cunt no matter what happens.

No lol. Im just not getting my hopes up for some top FA's. If it happens I'll be super happy.

Other than money I see no reason for a FA to come here vs. a competitor.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cousins must have an og horseshoe dude lucks out being a fa and in demand for big contract every time his contract is up
Just goes to the value of the position when a not top 10 guy, coming off and injury FA, likely get $45m a year... but lets not take the best prospect in a while with the 1st pick.

Szlachcic

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
The only thing that may convince Cousins to sign with Atlanta is his wife because she is from Georgia and the whole family resides there..

Canth

Liked Posts:

In the year the Sox won a title, their big FA signing was Jermaine Dye. Outside of that, the Sox have not signed a player of significance that played well.

The Cubs acquired Jon Lester which help propel them to a title. At the time, it was a significant signing. I am unsure if the above statement would apply to Lester or if he was seen in the same vein for which the statement was created. Outside of Lester, all Cub FA acquisitions have been rather underwhelming.

Most high end Free Agents bypass Chicago in all sports. The reason any Chicago franchise is successful is due to talent drafted or a trade that led to the acquisition of a impactful player.

Conclusion: Chicago will NEVER be a destination for a high end free agent and history proves that to be the case over the last quarter century.

I agree that Chicago in and of itself is not going to be enough. Money talks. And honestly, climate talks too. But I also think you have to factor in that there must be something in the water that Chicago seemingly has had mostly shitty ownership that has helped to mismanage the organizations.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Because it will almost certainly make MIN worse and they are in the Bears division.

Context matters. I’m writing about the ability to maximize trade value for Justin Fields.

If we are talking about what gives the Bears the best chance to win as many games as possible in 2024 yes get Kirk out of here.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree that Chicago in and of itself is not going to be enough. Money talks. And honestly, climate talks too. But I also think you have to factor in that there must be something in the water that Chicago seemingly has had mostly shitty ownership that has helped to mismanage the organizations.
Climate will matter less once Caleb leads the Bears to Arlington Heights. Nothing like identifying with winners and stars to get your way.

Canth

Liked Posts:
This is crazy to me, if true, that Sam Darnold and Drew "fucking" Lock are seen as more of a sure thing than Justin Fields is by NFL teams.

Eh, I doubt that it is seeing those other guys as any sort of sure thing. It's more likely that they can sign them without giving up a draft pick and don't have to make any sort of 5th year option decision on those guys. So, it's more straight forward to acquire Darnold and Lock. Then they probably make them a bridge QB to whoever they try to draft.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
When you consider that in spot starts, Sean Payton actually got competent qb play from Taysom Hill, I don't see why he wouldn't think he could get that from Fields. Though he may just bring in Jameis Winston as a bridge.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

The two franchises that have really been bad in the FA have a common denominator, Jerry Reinsdorf.

The other two have been fine, more poor choices than anything, although that is mostly the nature of FA.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Context matters. I’m writing about the ability to maximize trade value for Justin Fields.

If we are talking about what gives the Bears the best chance to win as many games as possible in 2024 yes get Kirk out of here.

What's more important, two more probable wins for each year that Kirk doesn't play in Minny or whether Poles gets a 3rd instead of a 4th?

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Yes, I know what you're writing about but that's not the only perspective. I think most people value is what's best for the Bears more than what's best for Fields' trade value.

Rise

Liked Posts:
What's more important, two more probable wins for each year that Kirk doesn't play in Minny or whether Poles gets a 3rd instead of a 4th?
Yes, I know what you're writing about but that's not the only perspective. I think most people value is what's best for the Bears more than what's best for Fields' trade value.

Did I ever say getting a 3rd vs a 4th is more important than team success? I wasn’t writing about team success just like I wasn’t writing about my favorite salad dressing.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Did I ever say getting a 3rd vs a 4th is more important than team success? I wasn’t writing about team success just like I wasn’t writing about my favorite salad dressing.
It's a message board and people are discussing things from different perspectives.

It's not something you mentioned initially, and other people brought it up because it's something else to think about that hadn't been addressed.

You are very defensive. Settle down.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is crazy to me, if true, that Sam Darnold and Drew "fucking" Lock are seen as more of a sure thing than Justin Fields is by NFL teams.

The phrasing is odd to me… whether or not they are more of a “sure thing” than Fields, it has nothing to do with the 5th year option (which the quote mentions).

To me, it seems more like he’s trying to say Fields contract decisions/negotiations and trade compensation is not worth the upgrade from those others. Nothing else would really make sense to me.

Last edited: