FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

Rise

Liked Posts:
It's a message board and people are discussing things from different perspectives.

It's not something you mentioned initially, and other people brought it up because it's something else to think about that hadn't been addressed.

You are very defensive. Settle down.

Then make your own post with your perspective without quoting mine.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Well I’m sure you understand my thought process? It opens up Atlanta. Why don’t you think that helps?
I don’t think cousins is a Super Bowl caliber QB but he’s a pretty dang good qb. The Vikings floundering does far more for the bears than whatever 2nd or 3rd round pick they get for fields.

If the vikes whiff on cousins they are left with Russ? Maybe baker though I doubt he leaves? Hell they might even need to take on fields and the rumors were maybe Trey Lance lmao.

If the Vikings strike out in FA they might have to reach on a QB round 1.

However it shakes out, I’ll take a weaker division over a marginally better pick for fields.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Then make your own post with your perspective without quoting mine.
Here's what happened.

@SugarWalls wrote he wouldn't think it was good if Cousins stayed in MIN. You responded:

Well I’m sure you understand my thought process? It opens up Atlanta. Why don’t you think that helps?

I answered you post with MIN being better with Cousins. If you had actually thought about that before, you probably would have put it in your response to Sugarwalls instead of asking him why he doesn't think it helps, because that's what a reasonable person who had actually thought of that reason would do. So I told you.

That's why I quoted you. It's really pretty simple.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I have read this statement many times over the last 25 years.

Bulls never landed anyone significant.

Bears best signing was Julius Peppers out of how many countless failures

In the year the Sox won a title, their big FA signing was Jermaine Dye. Outside of that, the Sox have not signed a player of significance that played well.

The Cubs acquired Jon Lester which help propel them to a title. At the time, it was a significant signing. I am unsure if the above statement would apply to Lester or if he was seen in the same vein for which the statement was created. Outside of Lester, all Cub FA acquisitions have been rather underwhelming.

Most high end Free Agents bypass Chicago in all sports. The reason any Chicago franchise is successful is due to talent drafted or a trade that led to the acquisition of a impactful player.

Conclusion: Chicago will NEVER be a destination for a high end free agent and history proves that to be the case over the last quarter century.

never really thought about it regarding the bears and bulls, dont care for baseball
did the bulls really try to land anyone significant? rose's ego was so large he didnt try and recruit lebron during his decision year...but i think eventually started to but that was too late...there was a rumor about kobe getting traded to the bulls but they refused to include deng, not sure how true it was but I do remember kobe specifically asked to be traded to the bulls...Is this an issue of chicago not being a destination for them or management simply being scared to pull the trigger?

As for the bears, who did they miss out on? the only notable free agent i remember the bears pursuing that didnt choose them was gilmore who then chose the patriots.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I have read this statement many times over the last 25 years.

Bulls never landed anyone significant.

Bears best signing was Julius Peppers out of how many countless failures

In the year the Sox won a title, their big FA signing was Jermaine Dye. Outside of that, the Sox have not signed a player of significance that played well.

The Cubs acquired Jon Lester which help propel them to a title. At the time, it was a significant signing. I am unsure if the above statement would apply to Lester or if he was seen in the same vein for which the statement was created. Outside of Lester, all Cub FA acquisitions have been rather underwhelming.

Most high end Free Agents bypass Chicago in all sports. The reason any Chicago franchise is successful is due to talent drafted or a trade that led to the acquisition of a impactful player.

Conclusion: Chicago will NEVER be a destination for a high end free agent and history proves that to be the case over the last quarter century.
I was specifically discussing the Bears but thanks for the dissertation.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Here's what happened.

@SugarWalls wrote he wouldn't think it was good if Cousins stayed in MIN. You responded:

I answered you post with MIN being better witch Cousin. If you had actually thought about that before, you probably would have put it in your response to Sugarwalls instead of asking him why he doesn't think it helps, because that's what a reasonable person who had actually thought of that reason would do. So I told you.

That's why I quoted you. It's really pretty simple.

“Why doesn’t it help Fields trade value” is what I implied. If I wanted to talk about what’s best for the 2024 win/loss record I would have wrote about it.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
“Why doesn’t it help Fields trade value” is what I implied. If I wanted to talk about what’s best for the 2024 win/loss record I would have wrote about it.
Idk if the falcons can’t get cousins they at least have pick 8 to sit and wait or to trade up.

Vikings being at pick 11 might be a little more desperate. Hard to say though

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
It is a 1 year deal for Mac Jones as they will be declining his 5th year option.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Idk if the falcons can’t get cousins they at least have pick 8 to sit and wait or to trade up.

If Poles will trade within the division I do think the Vikings could potentially offer the most for Fields. They wanted him during his draft as well.

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:

Minnesota is linked to JJ and there's been a lot of talk of them trading up.

Darnold as a stopgap would make a lot of sense considering he just spent a year under Shanny and it'll take barely any money and no draft capital to get him. The Baker route (went to LAR to get right and then singed for barely anything last year) is a prudent path.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m sure JF is staying positive but if Poles has told him they are going Williams and all of this is unfolding, what a shot to the ego. To think he could have been the star on this ascending team with a buttload of draft picks due to the inevitable trade down.

What a blown opportunity.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If they don't sign anyone big its more than likely because they don't want to spend big. I'm sure if they threw money like Pace did then free agents would come here

Your narrative is dumb. All about money 95% of the time
Pace struggled for his first 3-4 years to land big fa. Things didn’t change until naggy. Things have changed every team has money to spend. You guys forget so easily how much trash got big contracts under pace cause no one else wanted to play for a dumpster fire

Luke

Liked Posts:
If Poles will trade within the division I do think the Vikings could potentially offer the most for Fields. They wanted him during his draft as well.

Vikings were looking to trade up for Slater, not Fields.