FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Saquon Barkley stats:
View attachment 35518

I don't know if that screams $10M+/yr to me considering all the other needs on the team. Seems like it would be a luxury signing, but maybe paired with Williams they can both do well.

if you've seen him play, he is clearly an elite talent that can take over games...sadly he came in when eli was finishing his career and then the judge era and now daboll..its a mess there...a qb that got paid but sucks, no protection from that oline and if there is protection he's usually playing against a stacked box. I'd love to see him here at just under 10 mill per but if it turns into a bidding war i dont expect poles to continue.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's definitely a part of the equation for sure. I think all 3 teams paid out a lot of contracts to make a Superbowl run and obviously it didn't work out. So, they are targeting shedding the big contracts of older guys that are either starting to fall off or that they think will soon fall off on performance vs cap hit. Or in some cases like Bosa, a guy that just cannot ever seem to stay healthy.
Thank goodness the Bears won’t be in that position for a while lol.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
Conclusion: Chicago will NEVER be a destination for a high end free agent and history proves that to be the case over the last quarter century.

If CW turns out to be the real deal, the Bears will become a desired free agent destination.

Do some fans really not realize why the Bears were able to get Waldron, who was viewed as the best option for an OC this cycle? It's because of the Bears having #1 overall, AND Caleb Williams being in this draft.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Can you throw me some of the names you think will still be around at WR around pick #75??
1 Hope Ja'Lynn Polk will be there, but that may not be the case.
2 Jermaine Burton
3 Brendon Rice
4 Roman Wilson
5 Ricky Pearsall
6 Javon Baker

Applefan

Liked Posts:
If CW turns out to be the real deal, the Bears will become a desired free agent destination.

Do some fans really not realize why the Bears were able to get Waldron, who was viewed as the best option for an OC this cycle? It's because of the Bears having #1 overall, AND Caleb Williams being in this draft.
On the other hand, if Waldron is able to turn both Geno Smith AND Justin Fields careers around, won't that be a bigger feather in his cap than running an offense for a supposed "generational" talent? If CW has greatness written all over him, couldn't any wino who lives under a Chicago underpass be his OC?

msadows

Liked Posts:
On the other hand, if Waldron is able to turn both Geno Smith AND Justin Fields careers around, won't that be a bigger feather in his cap than running an offense for a supposed "generational" talent? If CW has greatness written all over him, couldn't any wino who lives under a Chicago underpass be his OC?

JF isn't staying here, but yes, there is appeal in both situations for any OC candidate. He also likely also figured worst case scenario if fluss is fired he would become the interim HC, which is also appealing.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of course it matters. Trading for a starter will cost more than trading for a backup. Patriots knew they weren’t going to get better than a 6th. Bears know they will.
Because a team will or will not start a player has nothing to do with what the Bears think his value is. If people don’t want him at their asking price, that’s all that’s relevant. It’s not like a team says, “Oh, he’s probably worth more, but he’s not a starter for us so we’ll give you less.” The value is based on the market.

This statement does not matter to Poles: “It depends on if they trade Fields to a team that wants him as a starter or backup.”

You trade him to the highest bidder. If the highest bidder is someone giving crap cause he’s a backup, then I guess everyone views him as a backup and that’s all they see him valued at. But the value is the value and it’s driven by market perception of how he can add to their team. At this point, we know few teams would trade for him and just hand him a starting job, so he’s a fringe starter in the league for now.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This is crazy to me, if true, that Sam Darnold and Drew "fucking" Lock are seen as more of a sure thing than Justin Fields is by NFL teams.

I believe that teams might prefer to choose Darnold or Lock than go after Fields and draft capital. More of a miserly choice than a football choice.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I want the biggest return for fields but cousins staying in Minnesota does not help the bears one bit
It does not hurt the Bears one bit either.

Poor baby, @SugarWalls got upset.

Care to tell us why it actually hurts since there will still be a job opening available if he sticks in Minnesota?

Also, Cousins will be a big chunk of Minnesota's cap, causing them to not be active in free agency, making them a weaker team.

Last edited:

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
Well, yes, just like every other aspect of something that may reflect positively on CW and/or negatively on Fields, you can twist everything around in odd nonsensical ways to try and make sense of it to fit what you want or think, because anything is possible.

Waldron coming here because of the #1 pick and CW is very obvious if you view it from Waldron's perspective and you're not trying to see what you want to see. It's probably not worth arguing about if you think what you said is true, because you have to do some pretty solid mental gymnastics to get there. We can agree to disagree on this one.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I believe that teams might prefer to choose Darnold or Lock than go after Fields and draft capital. More of a miserly choice than a football choice.
Teams that are going after Darnold & Lock are doing so as backups only. Unless they are trying to tank

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Because a team will or will not start a player has nothing to do with what the Bears think his value is. If people don’t want him at their asking price, that’s all that’s relevant. It’s not like a team says, “Oh, he’s probably worth more, but he’s not a starter for us so we’ll give you less.” The value is based on the market.

This statement does not matter to Poles: “It depends on if they trade Fields to a team that wants him as a starter or backup.”

You trade him to the highest bidder. If the highest bidder is someone giving crap cause he’s a backup, then I guess everyone views him as a backup.
And i'd rather him be our backup than anyone else's backup. Keep him and do or don't pick up the 5th year option and when he leaves in free agency get a 3rd round comp pick for him. Hopefully a team comes calling for him whether their QB is not playing well or because their starter gets injured with a good trade for him.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Teams that are going after Darnold & Lock are doing so as backups only. Unless they are trying to tank
That would be fine because it would mean that they all would still be looking for a starter, unless they plan to tank, making Fields still a valuable chess piece.

If I were the Bears, I would do everything to sign Wilson, not as a starter but to remove one more 'starter' option for other teams. It would be a cheap investment costing less than 2 million.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
1 Hope Ja'Lynn Polk will be there, but that may not be the case.
2 Jermaine Burton
3 Brendon Rice
4 Roman Wilson
5 Ricky Pearsall
6 Javon Baker
Ricky Pearsall gonna be the next Wes Welker/Julian Edelman, book it.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I dont think they satisfy the same need in the market. No one is bringing Sam darnold or Drew lock as the intended starter for a season - they are either backups or throwaway bridges that either mentor or backup a '25 drafted QB - while I think the NFL still views Fields as a "lottery ticket" QB that has a low chance of developing into an above average starter but perhaps at this point is more likely to become Marcus Mariota than Lamar Jackson.