FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Davis seems to be very inconsistent in actually catching the ball. He has had Josh Allen his entire career and his catch percentage has never really been above 56%. Career average is 54.5%.

Samuel's career average is 65.4% catch percentage and has been upper 60's the last 3 years with not a lot of good QB's there in Washington.

And I think Mooney could do better with Williams than Fields.

I'll give you that Davis is bigger deep threat.

As anything, it will come down to how much a given guy costs.
Davis is a home run hitter. You don’t want him as your #1. But he is a great run blocker and comes up with some huge games. Agreed it comes down to price. At the right price he’d be awesome but he probably gets overpriced

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He’s 30 and a two time first team all pro. He would look good on a two year deal.

Adding him and possibly a rookie with one of the 4th round picks might work out well.
There’s one right for me! :)

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
He’s 30 and a two time first team all pro. He would look good on a two year deal.

Adding him and possibly a rookie with one of the 4th round picks might work out well.
Dadrion Taylor-Demerson is a favorite of mine and should be an option to keep an eye on in the 3rd/4th

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I dont think they satisfy the same need in the market. No one is bringing Sam darnold or Drew lock as the intended starter for a season - they are either backups or throwaway bridges that either mentor or backup a '25 drafted QB - while I think the NFL still views Fields as a "lottery ticket" QB that has a low chance of developing into an above average starter but perhaps at this point is more likely to become Marcus Mariota than Lamar Jackson.
So Fields is more valuable and, no matter where Darnold or Drew go, there will be spots open for Fields, including them.

Remember how Glennon got picked up by the Bears yet the Bears were not satisfied with their QB room. There only flaw was picking the worst choice of the three available in the draft. The situation is a bit different but not enough to rule out Fields being traded to one of the teams that would have picked up Drew or Darnold.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Davis is a home run hitter. You don’t want him as your #1. But he is a great run blocker and comes up with some huge games. Agreed it comes down to price. At the right price he’d be awesome but he probably gets overpriced
I’ve watched Davis since his days at UCF. He absolutely can break games wide open. He’s a good 2 and would be an amazing 3.

DJ, Odunze, and Davis would be sick!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Depending on cost, it might not be a bad signing.

Really, my real hope is that any of those 3: Davis, Mooney, or Samuel is your 3rd WR on the team and priced accordingly. DJ Moore is #1 and I hope like hell they land a 1st round WR for WR2.
I'd add KJ Osbourne with them right next to Mooney as a really good #3 for us.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If Poles will trade within the division I do think the Vikings could potentially offer the most for Fields. They wanted him during his draft as well.
True but wasn't that different management or at least HC?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
back in duh day Khalil Mack had to love his chances for a legit shot at a ring. Line up opposite Bosa with one of the best young qb's in the league running the offense.

the Chargers were STACKED . . . little did he know
Coaching matters.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
On the other hand, if Waldron is able to turn both Geno Smith AND Justin Fields careers around, won't that be a bigger feather in his cap than running an offense for a supposed "generational" talent? If CW has greatness written all over him, couldn't any wino who lives under a Chicago underpass be his OC?
You saw right through that BS. Good job, saved me having to post it.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Honestly, imo, yeah it kinda is.

First, it is not quite correct to say it's been 6 years since we used a 1st round picks on defense. I think you are forgetting that Pace used two 1sts on Mack in the two years after Roquan. Pace also obviously used two 1sts to get Fields. So yeah, not a lot of 1sts in general to use on a direct pick lately.

Second, as I have said several times in various threads now, Poles has dumped a boatload of resources into this defense already. Quick reminder below:
  • 2nd round picks on Gordan, Brisker, Dexter, Stevenson, Sweat
  • 3rd round pick on Pickens
  • FA money to Edmunds, Edwards, Walker, Jones, Billings
  • Big contract extension now to JJ
That is 6 Day 2 picks in 3 years on defense. That is a huge investment of prime draft capital in the defense. It has not been ignored.

From Sportrac, below is a breakdown on cap dollars by side and then position group. Clearly more cap dollars spent on defense. Defensive Line is top 5 in the entire NFL already and that even before they likely sign more DL in FA.

So again, yeah, I think it's time to make some serious investments into the offense and to set up and maximize your shiny new #1 pick QB to be a successful franchise QB - not just another Chicago standard QB but have an actual, honest to god, NFL elite franchise QB. Give Williams the tools that the other guys were not given and see if we can actually make it work.

View attachment 35501
You had me up until CW, but yeah, exactly what you said. We have the D, and now it is time to build a great O!