FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On the other hand, if Waldron is able to turn both Geno Smith AND Justin Fields careers around, won't that be a bigger feather in his cap than running an offense for a supposed "generational" talent? If CW has greatness written all over him, couldn't any wino who lives under a Chicago underpass be his OC?
That “if” isn’t a risk he needs to take at this point in his career. He can get a decent spot off his coaching trees alone. All he needs is people who roughly can fit what he’s good at and he can continue to move up. In fact, I think if he were to theoretically do well in Chicago, with Caleb, he’d still get HC offers. People only care about success… they don’t care if you had some great QB. Nagy got hired here doing nothing but being Reid’s clipboard holder. If you try to fix someone, it can blow up in your face and totally ruin your name. Also, no one gave a shit that he fixed Geno or he’d be a HC right now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That “if” isn’t a risk he needs to take at this point in his career. He can get a decent spot off his coaching trees alone. All he needs is people who roughly can fit what he’s good at and he can continue to move up. In fact, I think if he were to theoretically do well in Chicago, with Caleb, he’d still get HC offers. People only care about success… they don’t care if you had some great QB. Nagy got hired here doing nothing but being Reid’s clipboard holder. If you try to fix someone, it can blow up in your face and totally ruin your name. Also, no one gave a shit that he fixed Geno or he’d be a HC right now.
Maybe it was Dave Canales that fixed Geno, or was at least a big part of it, because he's the one that was Geno's QB coach in Seattle and left there and went to be the OC in Tampa last year and Baker had his best year as a pro?!

Edit: Oh and Geno regressed some last year with Canales gone and Waldron still there.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe it was Dave Canales that fixed Geno, or was at least a big part of it, because he's the one that was Geno's QB coach in Seattle and left there and went to be the OC in Tampa last year and Baker had his best year as a pro?!

Edit: Oh and Geno regressed some last year with Canales gone and Waldron still there.
Honestly, in either case, I’d think both would probably be getting too much credit. Geno is who he is and probably just had the right overall circumstances of coaching staff and teammates… and his own hard work. Just a great combination of factors to allow him to work with his current skill set at this age in his career. Honestly, he’s been working with trash his whole NFL life. It’s not really surprising that he’s become serviceable with more ideal support.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Davis seems to be very inconsistent in actually catching the ball. He has had Josh Allen his entire career and his catch percentage has never really been above 56%. Career average is 54.5%.

Samuel's career average is 65.4% catch percentage and has been upper 60's the last 3 years with not a lot of good QB's there in Washington.

And I think Mooney could do better with Williams than Fields.

I'll give you that Davis is bigger deep threat.

As anything, it will come down to how much a given guy costs.
Catch percentage drops dramatically when the receiver is a big play take the top off the defense type player versus a possession receiver that catches everything underneath.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
My read on that is that Cousins wants another 100% guaranteed contract. But being 36 and coming off an injury, I would be shocked to see any team give him that.
Then you think what teams like the Browns gave D.Watson and what Denver traded for and then the contract they gave to get R.Wilson.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
1710119836530.png

this leaves enough cash for the rookies. the defensive line would probably be the highest-paid in the league after this, so there wouldn't be much left in the way of excuses for the defense, should be top 5 overall. in a deep class (on paper) of pass catchers in the draft, this could probably work pretty well tbh

Canth

Liked Posts:
Then you think what teams like the Browns gave D.Watson and what Denver traded for and then the contract they gave to get R.Wilson.

True, but I think it's just as likely other teams look at those contracts as a cautionary tale...not as something to emulate.

Canth

Liked Posts:
View attachment 35532

this leaves enough cash for the rookies. the defensive line would probably be the highest-paid in the league after this, so there wouldn't be much left in the way of excuses for the defense, should be top 5 overall. in a deep class (on paper) of pass catchers in the draft, this could probably work pretty well tbh

I don't see any way that Mooney only gets $3.5M. He may not get to $10M, but he's getting more than $3.5M.