Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
Marc Mariani - WR - Bears
At least four teams have shown interest in free agent WR Marc Mariani.
Chicago is one of those teams. Mariani was forced into a bigger role last year because of injuries to Alshon Jeffery and Eddie Royal. He managed 22 catches for 300 yards over the course of 535 offensive snaps. Even in a thin wide receiver market, it shouldn't cost the Bears much to keep him.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Our d-line does not need major help. They need A d-lineman and they'll be fine and if they don't get that one d-lineman in free agency then there's a strong d-lin draft coming up.

I think that's a statement you'll regret typing, but that's cool your opinion. Great defenses win in the trenches though, it's been proven that way for years. Hell just look at what Denver's front did in the SB just a month ago. Our DL this past year was improved, but no where near where it needs to be if we want to seriously contend.

We need starters bad.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It absolutely needs major help. Jenkins is a capable backup/rotational player but the Bears only have a collection of replacement-level players on the other side. So they've got one backup who's starting when he shouldn't and a bunch of bums at the other DE. They need a quality starter via FA and help in the draft, and then hope for no major injuries.

We still have Ego Ferguson and W.Sutton and L.Houston can also play inside. If we get one legit D-linemen we'll be just fine.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
Akiem Hicks - DL - Patriots
Patrick Finley of the Chicago Sun-Times hears the Bears are "working toward a possible face-to-face meeting" with free agent DT Akiem Hicks.
That meeting could happen as early as Thursday. ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss predicted the Bears would make a play for Hicks, who already knows GM Ryan Pace from their time together in New Orleans. Hicks earned PFF's 14th-highest DT grade out of 70 qualifiers last year while backing up Malcolm Brown and Alan Branch.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming
‏@AaronLemingNFL Aaron Leming Retweeted Daniel Boaz
David Bruton & Walter Thurmond are two names I have heard that the #Bears have talked to.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming
‏@AaronLemingNFL Aaron Leming Retweeted Daniel Boaz
David Bruton & Walter Thurmond are two names I have heard that the #Bears have talked to.

I thought Thurmond signed already?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
We still have Ego Ferguson and W.Sutton and L.Houston can also play inside. If we get one legit D-linemen we'll be just fine.

Ferguson and Sutton have yet to prove that they're even capable backups. They are replacement level and the Bears would be wise to look for additional DL depth.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think that's a statement you'll regret typing, but that's cool your opinion. Great defenses win in the trenches though, it's been proven that way for years. Hell just look at what Denver's front did in the SB just a month ago. Our DL this past year was improved, but no where near where it needs to be if we want to seriously contend.

We need starters bad.
Why would I regret saying our d-line doesn't need major help? I said we'd be fine with one more d-lineman and never said we'd be Denver. Of course it would be nice to add two or shit let's add three but we have Goldman who had a great 2nd half so he should be much better in year two and we have Ego coming back who we lost for his 2nd year in the league so he'll help and we have Sutton who did some good things. You add A.Robinson in the draft and our d-line will be fine and if not him it's a strong draft for d-linemen.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Ego is pretty sucky, and Sutton is exactly what i debated with Biff: purely a rotational guy, if he's getting too many snaps we are in trouble. We need serious help on the DL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Right now I look at the DL like this

________, Gaston
Goldman, Ferguson, Sutton
_________, __________, Unrien/Washington

More than likely one of Sutton or Ferguson gets cut.

The Bears could sign Hicks, sign another cheap DE and draft someone and I would be fine with it.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Ego is a guy I am still intrigued by. Sutton doesn't really fit. Jenkins is a good depth guy. Bears need serious help on the D-line. Bears probably sign Hicks and another low key guy and draft 2 as wel I would say.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Like two of the 3 FA signings very much, but completely agree with Walterfootball - massive overpay for Tracy Porter, WTF was that? I cannot believe that was market for TP, ugggghhhhh.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming
‏@AaronLemingNFL
Per @MikeKlis, #Bears are one of 4 teams negotiating with RB C.J. Anderson.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ferguson and Sutton have yet to prove that they're even capable backups. They are replacement level and the Bears would be wise to look for additional DL depth.

What the hell am I missing here? I said we need to add another guy and didn't say adding two more guys wouldn't be great, I said and still think we don't need MAJOR help.

Bears27

Liked Posts:

________, Gaston

The Bears could sign Hicks, sign another cheap DE and draft someone and I would be fine with it.

I'd be 100% on board with that. The problem is the first two things on that list are starting to look bleak.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ego is pretty sucky, and Sutton is exactly what i debated with Biff: purely a rotational guy, if he's getting too many snaps we are in trouble. We need serious help on the DL.
How do you know how sucky Ego is? From his rookie year playing under M.Tucker and his shitty teaching? We don't know how good he can be so let's give the kid a chance. He was a 2nd round pick 2 years ago.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Like two of the 3 FA signings very much, but completely agree with Walterfootball - massive overpay for Tracy Porter, WTF was that? I cannot believe that was market for TP, ugggghhhhh.

Wasn't over paid at all. 5 mil a season is what average starting CBs get

Cary Williams
Perrish Cox
Trumaine Brock
Greg Toler
Justin Bethel

Bears27

Liked Posts:

Yeah I read a tweet that said his career was rejuvenated in Chicago, but he barely hit half of his career high totals in tackles/FF/INTs he got this past season. Was an overpayment, but can't flame Pace too much since he avoided the Jenkins mess. Would rather overpay by a few million than be locked for years to that bloated deal.

Would like to see what the Raiders give Sean Smith though.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

________, Gaston

Yeah we would be good to go with Hicks and a 3rd/4th round pick.