Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Pace seems like a very practical GM who focuses on value. With that being said, I think if he spots a target with great value, he will persue that target. I could see him ID a high priced FA 10M/per type that he feels is a value, and pulling the trigger. He has said multiple times that we need playmakers, and this may be his way to ensure that he gets at least 1 this offseason.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jackson at 12 million would be awesome.

But realistically if Oakland and Jacksonville sit at that locker table the Bears should push themselves away.

The draft is too strong to spend huge money on the DL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
60 million

-15, Alshon
+3, Rolle
+5, Bennett

53 million
-12, re-signings
-7, Draft

34 million
-7, Trevathan
-10, Jenkins, Howard etc
-6, OG
-4, SS
-4, TE
-2, Swing OT

1 left for miscellaneous and that is if you don't backload anything.

60 million goes a long way.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't expect Pace to use all that space.

Exactly. Can still roll over money to 2017, if I'm not mistaken. And you're looking at extending Kyle Long and giving Jeffery a long term deal. Not to mention potentially still needing to add a LT, TE, and OLB.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Pace isn't going to spend up like a lot of people think. I am expecting one marquee guy and then the rest will be role players.

Still will be upgrades for this team but will be aiming for getting value for money. Pace is adamant about building this team through the draft. In order to do that you have to be able to hit on your draft picks and then actually be able to re-sign them once their rookie contracts are finished.

Handing out big money early on to free agents isn't the way to go.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Pace did say that because of all the holes on the team that he would be more active in free agency this year than normal but down the line they shouldn't have to rely so much on free agency because they're going to be building through the draft. I would guess he's going to target 2 mid-level guys (Trevathan, Jenkins, Iloka, Howard etc) and then go value hunting

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Pace did say that because of all the holes on the team that he would be more active in free agency this year than normal but down the line they shouldn't have to rely so much on free agency because they're going to be building through the draft. I would guess he's going to target 2 mid-level guys (Trevathan, Jenkins, Iloka, Howard etc) and then go value hunting

Mid level? Those guys are going to get PAID. Those are your tier 1 guys.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears will spend. They have to spend to get out of the crater that Emery left them in.

The Bears won't need to re-sign a draft pick, outside of Kyle Long, until 2019. This free agent money will be off the books by then.

There is 0 risk that this free agency period will affect a single Pace draft pick.

The Bears are too bad to draft there way out of this quickly, and this is not baseball you do not get 5 years of bad to draft your way to good.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Windy, if we get several big players on def—say ILB, DE, CB/S can you see any way we go OFF at #11? I can only see that if a top three QB falls to us, or maybe a stud G/T. Don't see us going RB/WR/TE at #11.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Mid level? Those guys are going to get PAID. Those are your tier 1 guys.

Those guys will get 8-11 mil. That to me is 2nd tier. Von Miller, Wilkerson, upper end starting QBs etc would be tier 1 guys. I'd say tier one guys all make 13+ mil annually. Just my opinion though.

Edit: I just realized I used the term "mid-level" which was a mistake. I meant guys like Trevathan, Iloka, Jenkins, Howard etc are all tier 2.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
The Bears will spend. They have to spend to get out of the crater that Emery left them in.

The Bears won't need to re-sign a draft pick, outside of Kyle Long, until 2019. This free agent money will be off the books by then.

There is 0 risk that this free agency period will affect a single Pace draft pick.

The Bears are too bad to draft there way out of this quickly, and this is not baseball you do not get 5 years of bad to draft your way to good.

I don't think they are that bad, and I think they are counting on internal development. They lost, what, 6 games by less then a touchdown? I believe the Bears have a long term plan in place and are going to stick with it. That was why Pace got the job. Long term success rarely includes spending big in free agency.

I think you'll see a few modest signing, maybe two deals similar to mcphee's last year. Decent investment in a younger player or two. Ian Williams, Jaye Howard, Cedric Thornton more then Malik Jackson or Olivier Vernon. If they invest, I would guess it will be at corner. A lot of course depends on who actually gets to the market. As we see year after year, most of the top tier guys get re-signed and suddenly second tier players are getting top tier deals.

I would not be at all surprised to see the Bears make a couple quick deals and then play the secondary market.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Those guys will get 8-11 mil. That to me is 2nd tier. Von Miller, Wilkerson, upper end starting QBs etc would be tier 1 guys. I'd say tier one guys all make 13+ mil annually. Just my opinion though.

Edit: I just realized I used the term "mid-level" which was a mistake. I meant guys like Trevathan, Iloka, Jenkins, Howard etc are all tier 2.

Those are tier 1 guys in this free agency period though. Wilkerson, Miller and Cousins are all going to get tagged and very rarely do players of that caliber hit FA.

8-11 million for guys like Jenkins, Trevathan will make them top 5-10 earners at their positions. They are tier 1 guys to me. If a guy like Miller hits than he is in his own tier because it is an anomaly.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rand Getlin
Despite reports on Trumaine Johnson receiving the franchise tag from the #Rams, I firmly believe it's going to be used on Janoris Jenkins.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Rand Getlin
Despite reports on Trumaine Johnson receiving the franchise tag from the #Rams, I firmly believe it's going to be used on Janoris Jenkins.

what would be your max offer for johnson if he hits free agency?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Jets are interested in Shea