Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Mitchapalooza

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 3h3 hours ago
Despite reports on Trumaine Johnson receiving the franchise tag from the #Rams, I firmly believe it's going to be used on Janoris Jenkins.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Despite reports on Trumaine Johnson receiving the franchise tag from the #Rams, I firmly believe it's going to be used on Janoris Jenkins.

That would suck. Really hope Janoris ends up in Chicago.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think they are that bad, and I think they are counting on internal development. They lost, what, 6 games by less then a touchdown? I believe the Bears have a long term plan in place and are going to stick with it. That was why Pace got the job. Long term success rarely includes spending big in free agency.

I think you'll see a few modest signing, maybe two deals similar to mcphee's last year. Decent investment in a younger player or two. Ian Williams, Jaye Howard, Cedric Thornton more then Malik Jackson or Olivier Vernon. If they invest, I would guess it will be at corner. A lot of course depends on who actually gets to the market. As we see year after year, most of the top tier guys get re-signed and suddenly second tier players are getting top tier deals.

I would not be at all surprised to see the Bears make a couple quick deals and then play the secondary market.

Rand Getlin
The #Dolphins are going to place the transition tag on DE Olivier Vernon, a source said. Worth $12.37M.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I don't know how creditable this rand guy is but I would rather the bears go after Johnson then Jenkins we have till 4

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Yes!!!!! I mean it would be sad to see him go

This cathartic rejoicing that the Bears will finally "rid" themselves of McClellin is puerile. What would the Bears gain by losing a replacement-level LB who was never going to start next year anyway? He's a first round bust but a decent enough backup who by all accounts is a hard worker and good teammate and has done everything the organization asked him to do in switching positions multiple times. In other words, he's exactly what you hope for in a veteran backup. There's a reason why the Bears have spoken well of him to the media.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I'm not too familiar with Trumaine, is he good? His stats seem pretty good this year and he's only 26.

I like both corners but prefer Janoris. Trumaine would be a huge FA get as well but I think Jenkins is one of the better CBs in the league and has the speed we need opposite Fuller on the outside.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This cathartic rejoicing that the Bears will finally "rid" themselves of McClellin is puerile. What would the Bears gain by losing a replacement-level LB who was never going to start next year anyway? He's a first round bust but a decent enough backup who by all accounts is a hard worker and good teammate and has done everything the organization asked him to do in switching positions multiple times. In other words, he's exactly what you hope for in a veteran backup. There's a reason why the Bears have spoken well of him to the media.

I agree with that. THe guy does work hard and is a good soldier. He just doesn't have the talent necessary to be a good player.

Mitchapalooza

I like both corners but prefer Janoris. Trumaine would be a huge FA get as well but I think Jenkins is one of the better CBs in the league and has the speed we need opposite Fuller on the outside.

Apparently he rejected a 5yr/45m contract with the rams. He's looking for 12m/yr. And he seems like he has some attitude problems.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Apparently he rejected a 5yr/45m contract with the rams. He's looking for 12m/yr. And he seems like he has some attitude problems.

He did have his issues coming into league but seems alright now. Given up 7 games of 100 yards or more in 4 years so I think he is worth what he's asking. Bears need a corner with his kind of confidence, skill and production.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tagged

Von Miller
Mo Wilkerson
Alshon Jeffery
Cordy Glenn
Josh Norman
Justin Tucker

Transitioned

Olivier Vernon

Cut

Mario Williams

THERIOT2

Liked Posts:
The Bears will spend. They have to spend to get out of the crater that Emery left them in.

The Bears won't need to re-sign a draft pick, outside of Kyle Long, until 2019. This free agent money will be off the books by then.

There is 0 risk that this free agency period will affect a single Pace draft pick.

The Bears are too bad to draft there way out of this quickly, and this is not baseball you do not get 5 years of bad to draft your way to good.

Angelo was just as bad as Emery. Oh how I miss the days of Jim Finks.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

The main reason is because he's terrible and was outplayed by every undrafted free agent the Bears threw out there. But also because he is a reminder and representation of Emery's complete failure as a GM. He needs a fresh start. Bears fans need a fresh start. He's a good guy, great. It's not his fault he was picked in the first round, but it is what it is.

And again, he's really, really, really bad at football.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
The main reason is because he's terrible and was outplayed by every undrafted free agent the Bears threw out there. But also because he is a reminder and representation of Emery's complete failure as a GM. He needs a fresh start. Bears fans need a fresh start. He's a good guy, great. It's not his fault he was picked in the first round, but it is what it is.

And again, he's really, really, really bad at football.

He's not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. Vic Fangio is not one to make fluff comments about shit players, and there's a reason Pace publicly left the door open for a return. McClellin is a typical NFL backup, albeit one learning a new position and doing so on a bad knee for much of last year.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Angelo was just as bad as Emery. Oh how I miss the days of Jim Finks.

No he wasn't. He built a very good team, but the Bears let Love win a power struggle and get more control over the roster. After 2006 things went downhill fast. Lovie got more power, jettisoned Rivera and the rest is history. Not that Angelo was great or anything, but Emery was an unmitigated disaster.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
He's not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. Vic Fangio is not one to make fluff comments about shit players, and there's a reason Pace publicly left the door open for a return. McClellin is a typical NFL backup, albeit one learning a new position and doing so on a bad knee for much of last year.

He borders on being the worst linebacker in the entire NFL. And Fangio is exactly that kind of coach.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kirk Cousins
Eric Berry tagged

Still nothing from the Rams.