CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I don't believe the Bears will go after Janoris Jenkins and they should not. Not worth it.

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
Players couldn't stand him, jettisoned talent, O got figured out quickly...yup.
QB play under chip was horrible. Foles and Sanchez just sucks and Bradford was a scared fragile player not capable of running that offense.

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
I honestly dont consider Jenkins play that much better then Fuller or Porter. Now comes the price part of it and it just dont make sense paying that kind of money to Jenkins if he isnt that much better then what we have.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I honestly dont consider Jenkins play that much better then Fuller or Porter. Now comes the price part of it and it just dont make sense paying that kind of money to Jenkins if he isnt that much better then what we have.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

He is better.

Not be worth what he is going to get paid is a legitimate concern.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Trevathan has to be priority #1. He is a guy I would not mind the Bears overpaying for.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
I think a better strategy could be locking down 1-2 value signings that Pace covets right off the bat. I'm talking Ian Williams/Zach Brown/George Illoka type of signings.

That way it puts less pressure when you're negotiating with larger $$$ for Trevathan, Jenkins/Smith, Jackson/Howard, in those deals. If the $$$ gets out of control, you can simply fold and not lose much ground in monitoring & pilfering the 2nd tier options.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was listening to ESPN Chicago today and they had Louis Riddick on and he said free agent is a crap shoot because you don't know the players, and you are trying to re teach guys who have already learned a way of doing things. This made me think that the Bears should try and mitigate the risks with players they have experience with and have been around. Because this is a new staff, assembled from all different teams it is actually a pretty decent list.

Danny Trevathan
David Bruton
Chris Clark
Ian Williams
Alex Boone
Akiem Hicks
David Hawthorne
Jahri Evans
Jeff Schwartz

You can put the base of a really nice free agent period down with players this staff has a ton of experience with.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Doesn't really work that way. Oakland is going to be on the phone with Trevathan's agent as soon as free agency opens. You have to show interest right away otherwise you may miss out.

That's why you always see the top tier guys go first.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I was listening to ESPN Chicago today and they had Louis Riddick on and he said free agent is a crap shoot because you don't know the players, and you are trying to re teach guys who have already learned a way of doing things. This made me think that the Bears should try and mitigate the risks with players they have experience with and have been around. Because this is a new staff, assembled from all different teams it is actually a pretty decent list.

Danny Trevathan
David Bruton
Chris Clark
Ian Williams
Alex Boone
Akiem Hicks
David Hawthorne
Jahri Evans
Jeff Schwartz

You can put the base of a really nice free agent period down with players this staff has a ton of experience with.

I think that's a little overblown. These GM's and scouts do their homework on all these guys right away from when they enter. That's why they interview so many guys at before the draft.

They also have pro scouts out there who do their homework as well.

I think that the biggest thing is just making sure you get players who fit the scheme and whose strengths will be maximised.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Doesn't really work that way. Oakland is going to be on the phone with Trevathan's agent as soon as free agency opens. You have to show interest right away otherwise you may miss out.

That's why you always see the top tier guys go first.

It does when you have a bevy of young talent – some with playoff/SB exp – hitting free agency for the first time, coupled with several teams with big needs and deep pockets, followed by an increase in the salary cap. These top players are going to get courted, I doubt many of them sign quick. It's a rare opportunity for them to get major $$$ and that'll take some back & forth to get to those numbers. If you can cross your #4/5/6 off your FA list in the meantime – then why the hell not.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Danny Trevathan
David Bruton
Chris Clark
Ian Williams
Alex Boone
Akiem Hicks
David Hawthorne
Jahri Evans
Jeff Schwartz

I think it's more about the staff knowing the person and your pro scouts knowing the player. Almost all those guys would be playing in new systems to them with new position coaches and new coordinators.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
I think it's more about the staff knowing the person and your pro scouts knowing the player. Almost all those guys would be playing in new systems to them with new position coaches and new coordinators.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter
Yeah, I mean look at McPhee and Porter. I'm pretty sure our staff/front office didn't have a lot of familiarity with either of them and each ended up being a real good signing.

Sure, a guy like Travathan is enticing because he's played for Fox and he's low risk, but it's more about player/person evaluation.

Pace is going to have to take some risks because we have so many holes to fill.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I mean look at McPhee and Porter. I'm pretty sure our staff/front office didn't have a lot of familiarity with either of them and each ended up being a real good signing.

Sure, a guy like Travathan is enticing because he's played for Fox and he's low risk, but it's more about player/person evaluation.

Pace knew Porter from New Orleans. But I agree with your overall point. Familiarity is nice but it's not the end all.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Gotta remember that all these guys making decisions for the Bears (Fox, Fangio, especially Pace) were involved in scouting/researching these guys when they were drafted. We dont' really know who these guys visited with and interviewed 4-5 years ago when the younger FAs were drafted. I think familiarity plays a huge part, but it's more to it than "he played for this team at this time with this coach" type stuff.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think that's a little overblown. These GM's and scouts do their homework on all these guys right away from when they enter. That's why they interview so many guys at before the draft.

They also have pro scouts out there who do their homework as well.

I think that the biggest thing is just making sure you get players who fit the scheme and whose strengths will be maximised.

I don't doubt they do the film study and they ask around.

But that is not going to get you accurate medical information or accurate work place information. I doubt teams are offering up the day to day information on their players.

We know a guy like Ian Williams works in this system because he has played in it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Porter was drafted by NO and Ryan Pace.

McPhee was more of a risk and it worked out.

Antrel Rolle and Eddie Royal were not risks that worked out. It appears that the NYG moved on from Rolle because he was breaking down, which the Bears would have no way of knowing because he rarely missed games in NY.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gotta remember that all these guys making decisions for the Bears (Fox, Fangio, especially Pace) were involved in scouting/researching these guys when they were drafted. We dont' really know who these guys visited with and interviewed 4-5 years ago when the younger FAs were drafted. I think familiarity plays a huge part, but it's more to it than "he played for this team at this time with this coach" type stuff.

Absolutely it is part of the equation.

But when you spend big in free agency you want to mitigate the risk. The more you know about a guy, the more risk that you can avoid.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Absolutely it is part of the equation.

But when you spend big in free agency you want to mitigate the risk. The more you know about a guy, the more risk that you can avoid.

Yeah, i can agree with that. All else equals, definitely go with the guy you know. If Trevathan/Derrick Johnson were the exact same age, talent, statistically....you take Trevathan because you know how he will respond to Coach Fox. But in general, the Bears don't need to know a lot about say, Von Miller to know he's good and will fit into any defense they may ever decide to run. I think familiarity plays more of a role in mid-level signings.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, i can agree with that. All else equals, definitely go with the guy you know. If Trevathan/Derrick Johnson were the exact same age, talent, statistically....you take Trevathan because you know how he will respond to Coach Fox. But in general, the Bears don't need to know a lot about say, Von Miller to know he's good and will fit into any defense they may ever decide to run. I think familiarity plays more of a role in mid-level signings.

It is more for the 2nd tier guys, I agree.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Porter was drafted by NO and Ryan Pace.

McPhee was more of a risk and it worked out.

Antrel Rolle and Eddie Royal were not risks that worked out. It appears that the NYG moved on from Rolle because he was breaking down, which the Bears would have no way of knowing because he rarely missed games in NY.

Good call on Porter and Pace in New Orleans.

McPhee was a risk but the money was going to be based on his performance, which was a good move.

The one thing I really liked from Pace in free agency last year was that there's no bad money contracts eating up our cap.