Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good call on Porter and Pace in New Orleans.

McPhee was a risk but the money was going to be based on his performance, which was a good move.

The one thing I really liked from Pace in free agency last year was that there's no bad money contracts eating up our cap.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Eddie Royal will have made 10 million guaranteed dollars by the end of next season. Right now that one does not look very good, albiet not a huge contract.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Porter was drafted by NO and Ryan Pace.

McPhee was more of a risk and it worked out.

Antrel Rolle and Eddie Royal were not risks that worked out. It appears that the NYG moved on from Rolle because he was breaking down, which the Bears would have no way of knowing because he rarely missed games in NY.

I think one of Pace's staff was one of the guys who had a role in bringing McPhee in to Baltimore so there was some familiarity there as well.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Eddie Royal will have made 10 million guaranteed dollars by the end of next season. Right now that one does not look very good, albiet not a huge contract.
I still think it was a solid deal though. Royal can play. Just sucks he was nicked up most of the year.

I know the outcome sucks when we look at his contract vs production, but injuries aren't a controllable or predictable variable, especially for someone who was healthy when he signed with us.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Mitchapalooza

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 14m14 minutes ago
Browns C Alex Mack is voiding the 3 years remaining on his contract and is set to become a free agent, per source. One more free agent OL.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 14m14 minutes ago
Browns C Alex Mack is voiding the 3 years remaining on his contract and is set to become a free agent, per source. One more free agent OL.

He'll end up in Jacksonville. Where he signed with themy 2,years ago on the transition tag.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't want to pay the money he's going to command for a C.

As for Royal, yeah, we're obviously not getting our money's worth with him...but it's essentially a 2 year deal for not a lot of money. Those are the deals you could live with as far as not getting the return you wanted. It's the high dollar guarantees for 3, 4+ seasons that comes back to haunt you.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tony Jefferson got a low tender from the Cardinals.

Could be an upgrade at SS.

Cardinals have right to match, but there is no draft pick combination.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

I mentioned Jefferson a few weeks ago. I think he'll get in the $14mil/3 year $5mil guaranteed. Only 24 and played very well last year.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

Nice. Don't think the Cardinals have a ton of cap to match if the Bears really want him.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I like Tony Jefferson. At 24 years old, he's barely older than a draft pick. He's a really good tackler, and can make a big hit. Decent in coverage too. Nothing special, but a solid player.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of ridiculous that if you add up the free cap space of the Raiders and Jaguars you nearly have enough money for an entirely new team.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Nice. Don't think the Cardinals have a ton of cap to match if the Bears really want him.

Yeah they don't plus have other safeties on the roster who can fill in if he's gone, may not be a huge priority for them. I think if we offer him $5M/yr, he can be had.

Mitchapalooza

Free Agency Tampering Period

During those 3 days, can you agree to a deal and everything but just not sign it? What are the rules? Will we hear of signings before FA begins?

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure all the big deals were announced during that window last year. I remember it also leaving the opportunity for players to back out like Frank Gore did to the Eagles.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Yep at the start of the window you will hear deals signed. Everything happened right away last year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They will get reported, but not announced by teams.

You can talk specific dollar amounts, you can shake hands, but Nohinh is official till 3 on Wednesday.

I believe the Pernell McPhee news broke early, 8 am, on signing day.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hypothetical.

Let's say Ryan Pace has 3 5-8 million dollar contracts to work with as his opening salvo in free agency.

What positions would you allocate those contracts to?